PDA

View Full Version : Preston/ubr4 oversubscribed

chambohambo
04-10-2010, 00:20
Hi all am pretty sure the UBR I am connected to is oversubscribed download and upload speeds are very slow along with the general browsing can anyone on these forums confirm its oversubscribed either by replying to this thread or to even send me a private message, I have checked the power levels and they are fine.

chambohambo
16-10-2010, 11:50
was getting 55 kb/sec last night from gamefiles.virginmedia.com

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Client Host Name: cpc1-pres4-0-0-cust208.pres.cable.virginmedia.com

Is it possible someone can check the status of my UBR I am connected to an either let me know via replying here or even by sending me a PM.

Thanks.

pip08456
16-10-2010, 12:06
As VM are the only ones with the tools to access your UBR then they are the only ones who can confirm if it is oversubscribed.

All you'll get here is an opinion.

Efour
16-10-2010, 13:20
They wont tell you, and your service falls within their small print.
Best you can get is usually from an engineer that is willing to speak about it and is in contact with the proper CS/Infrastructure people behind the scenes.

With the 50mbit roll out i thought alot of the congestion was gone, mine is better than it was 2 years ago. I was told then my UBR was 200% over capacity and that most of it was ancient hardware dating back from cable and wireless.

Digital Fanatic
16-10-2010, 20:04
was getting 55 kb/sec last night from gamefiles.virginmedia.com

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Client Host Name: cpc1-pres4-0-0-cust208.pres.cable.virginmedia.com

Is it possible someone can check the status of my UBR I am connected to an either let me know via replying here or even by sending me a PM.

Thanks.

Have you contacted VM Tech Support? It's highly unlikely that the whole uBR is over-subscribed. It's usually down to specific cable(s) and upstreams on the uBR.

The PIT
16-10-2010, 23:43
If it is be prepared to wait a very long time for it to be fixed six months or more or until you upgrade to another service or leave.

pip08456
17-10-2010, 00:32
If it is be prepared to wait a very long time for it to be fixed six months or more or until you upgrade to another service or leave.

A mine of information and help! 80 odd posts in over 2 years - yeh you know it all!!!! (sorry 80-even posts!!)

Mick Fisher
17-10-2010, 01:39
Have you contacted VM Tech Support? It's highly unlikely that the whole uBR is over-subscribed. It's usually down to specific cable(s) and upstreams on the uBR.
Unless you are lucky and speak to a UK Agent who knows his stuff then the OP will be just wasting his time.
I have been getting those type of speeds from gamefiles. I also have severely reduced upload. This has been going on since Friday before last and India have been no help at all.

After jumping through all their hoops they insisted on sending me a new modem, power supply and ethernet cable. :rolleyes:

I installed them and as expected it made no difference except that the DL speed was even poorer.

On phoning to report the failure of the modem to rectify the issue I again got India :(

I explained the modem had made things worse. Once again I was made to jump through all their hoops including connecting a laptop. The performance using the laptop was exactly the same as the desktop.

By this time the agent was getting increasingly agitated. He resorted to insisting I was getting full speed and that 1MB/s was equal to 20Mb/s. When I explained there were only 8 bits in a byte he got really shirty and point blank refused to discuss the matter any further.

The whole exercise was just a complete waste of my time and a complete waste of VM's resources. When these jokers come to the end of their scripts that's your lot. They won't send a tech or escalate the issue to second line or networks.

I'm currently waiting for a response from the help&support forum before phonong "Thinking Of Leaving."

When VM BB breaks, getting it fixed is a nightmare.

pip08456
17-10-2010, 01:54
Unless you are lucky and speak to a UK Agent who knows his stuff then the OP will be just wasting his time.
I have been getting those type of speeds from gamefiles. I also have severely reduced upload. This has been going on since Friday before last and India have been no help at all.

After jumping through all their hoops they insisted on sending me a new modem, power supply and ethernet cable. :rolleyes:

I installed them and as expected it made no difference except that the DL speed was even poorer.

On phoning to report the failure of the modem to rectify the issue I again got India :(

I explained the modem had made things worse. Once again I was made to jump through all their hoops including connecting a laptop. The performance using the laptop was exactly the same as the desktop.

By this time the agent was getting increasingly agitated. He resorted to insisting I was getting full speed and that 1MB/s was equal to 20Mb/s. When I explained there were only 8 bits in a byte he got really shirty and point blank refused to discuss the matter any further.

The whole exercise was just a complete waste of my time and a complete waste of VM's resources. When these jokers come to the end of their scripts that's your lot. They won't send a tech or escalate the issue to second line or networks.

I'm currently waiting for a response from the help&support forum before phonong "Thinking Of Leaving."

When VM BB breaks, getting it fixed is a nightmare.

I'm sorry I have to disagree, I have in the past had to deal with offshore C/S going back to when they first came "online". Barring 2 years I've been a cable customer for over 10.

Yes there is a bit of a communication problem due to, perhaps language but if given the chance they will do their job.

Ignitionnet
17-10-2010, 09:51
I'm sorry I have to disagree, I have in the past had to deal with offshore C/S going back to when they first came "online". Barring 2 years I've been a cable customer for over 10.

Yes there is a bit of a communication problem due to, perhaps language but if given the chance they will do their job.

It's a matter of perception so there's little room to agree or disagree.

My experience of offshore C/S has always been total excrement, YMMV.

The PIT
17-10-2010, 11:27
A mine of information and help! 80 odd posts in over 2 years - yeh you know it all!!!! (sorry 80-even posts!!)

What a plonker. Talking from experience but you live in my house and use my cable and know best.

Lets see. I signed up onto a 20meg service. This was oversubscribed from day one so they sold me a service they knew they couldn't provide.

Never worked properly and in the end I gambled and moved to 50 meg. This also has been buggy with short lived regular drop outs. Luckily having two sources of broadband the router falls over so I don't notice the drop offs unless I looked at the logs.

Telephone support very poor and while on 20 meg had to ring every month to get a refund which normally resulted in a argument as they claimed there wasn't a fault. This wasn't helped by fault ticket before closed on a regular basis despite no work being done on the UBR. Also often fobbed with the work is going ahead in a few weeks time.

Newsgroup support much better than phone support. Helped me getting refunds by re-opening tickets also confirmed lies of the phone operator by saying there was no planned work in near future.

Now they may have finally solved the drop outs as I've been connected 165 hours which is one of the longest runs I can remember.

Anyway you know all this as you don't you.

Oh in pcplus virgin are the 6th best ISP the weak points customer service which if they did improve would allow them to break into the top five.

Chrysalis
17-10-2010, 22:06
They wont tell you, and your service falls within their small print.
Best you can get is usually from an engineer that is willing to speak about it and is in contact with the proper CS/Infrastructure people behind the scenes.

With the 50mbit roll out i thought alot of the congestion was gone, mine is better than it was 2 years ago. I was told then my UBR was 200% over capacity and that most of it was ancient hardware dating back from cable and wireless.

even le3 overlay is seeing downstream congestion now. Enough that they are actually going to move people back to legacy, as 50mbit complaints have got too high.

my evening performance tonight was 5-10mbit, which is the slowest I have seen since I got moved to overlay. (on 20mbit service).

nutellajunkie
18-10-2010, 16:55
It's a matter of perception so there's little room to agree or disagree.

My experience of offshore C/S has always been total excrement, YMMV.

Yes I can agree with you there. If its not on that script, they really dont see the point in helping you out. Their ethics and experiences in life and society are 100% different than ours. Their expectations and beliefs are different. They think they are doing a fantastic job for the few quid they are probably being paid, and we think they are doing a hellish job because in the UK we expect far better service - and quite rightly so.

I am lucky though, that most of the time I can just ring back a few times, and I will get through to the fantastic hard working, sympathetic, intelligent staff in Glasgow here :)