PDA

View Full Version : Virgin won't admit cable faulty

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 13:20
I hope someone out there can help.

Spent several hours on the phone to India last night and again this morning without success.

Our home network wouldn't allow internet browsing yesterday, so I spent an hour or so trying to check it all out before I called virgin "support"

firstly I checked the router, and the spare router, then tried a notebook direct to the 50Mb modem etc, nothing worked, yet when I call the support team they tried to fob me off by telling me that they can see the modem so there isn't a fault.

I tried to explain that I am sure you can see the modem, but if it doesn't pass traffic through it is faulty.

The notebook direct method doesn't work because it is not being offered an ip although I was told as the notebook had a 169.xxx ip address that the notebook must be faulty and not the modem.

I have of course tried different cables etc.. Any help appreciated.

pip08456
29-09-2010, 13:25
Switch off notebook and modem. Hard wire nebook to modem.
Turn on modem and allow to sync.

Turn on netbook.

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 13:27
Yes I did that,, notebook does not get an ip,

pip08456
29-09-2010, 13:29
Try resetting your ip with the following in command prompt

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 13:31
Did that same issue, ipconfig will show a 169.xxx ip address only, (i.e. default microsoft ip)

Peter_
29-09-2010, 13:44
Sounds like an outage Valid IP no throughput giving you a 169ip so call back on 0800 052 0432.

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 13:49
But your people in India wanted me to send my notebook off for repair as it was "definately faulty" and not a Virgin cable problem?

Chris
29-09-2010, 14:12
Correction ... the CSR you spoke to has apparently mis-diagnosed the problem. Annoying, but it happens. Give it another go and let us know what they say. The customer service phoneline is the most reliable way of getting your problem fixed, regardless of some of the horror stories you may read on here.

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 14:25
I haven't the strength to call India again.......

I have however found a solution. I called billing and told them I didn't want the service anymore as it wasn't working, and hey presto they magically booked me an engineers visit without spending an hour going through the scripted "let me help you" support again.

I'll let you know how we get on..

Peter_
29-09-2010, 14:38
But your people in India wanted me to send my notebook off for repair as it was "definately faulty" and not a Virgin cable problem?
I would callback as I feel it is more likely to be an area issue, you can always check the connection with a friends computer which I would always advise before going to a shop with a computer.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

I have however found a solution. I called billing and told them I didn't want the service anymore as it wasn't working, and hey presto they magically booked me an engineers visit without spending an hour going through the scripted "let me help you" support again.

Did technical support book it or was it the billing agent.

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 14:48
I did check the laptop on another connection it worked perfectly, I had no intention of getting it repaired.

I did every test I could think of before I even called support, I tried 2 different computers, several ethernet cables, I made at least 5 different calls last night / this morning to your support line, and they refused to believe the fault because they could see the modem from the virgin end.

The just couldn't understand that the lan end of the modem might be faulty.

At one point they told me the modem was fine even though it was sat on my lap unplugged at that point.

I use the internet every day for my job, my wife, daughter all rely on it, probably like most people these days.

I just want my connection back :bigcry:

Peter_
29-09-2010, 14:51
I would ring now to be honest on 0800 052 0431

mdsbattery
29-09-2010, 15:52
I'm at work so not sure that will help. Of course if I was at home, I wouldn't be able to read or post here ;)

Nedkelly
29-09-2010, 16:56
Is the tick light on on the 50 meg modem ?:)

Digital Fanatic
29-09-2010, 17:50

That will probably be a waste of time. You need to speak to the 50meg team as Masque has already posted, the number is 0800 052 0431.

if it is a network issue, then when the tech gets to you, all he is going to do is refer to networks, so you will be waiting longer.

Boabyboy
29-09-2010, 23:31
I would try disconnecting the cable modem coax cable while cable modem is switch off. Connect ethernet cable from cable modem to laptop and power on cable modem first for a few mins and then laptop and check to see if your getting the cable modem internal ip address, 192.168.100.1 or 10 (I think), if your still getting a 169 ip then it could be a fault with your NIC.

Let us know the results.

Ta,
Boaby

pip08456
29-09-2010, 23:47
I would try disconnecting the cable modem coax cable while cable modem is switch off. Connect ethernet cable from cable modem to laptop and power on cable modem first for a few mins and then laptop and check to see if your getting the cable modem internal ip address, 192.168.100.1 or 10 (I think), if your still getting a 169 ip then it could be a fault with your NIC.

Let us know the results.

Ta,
Boaby

Totally flawed logic IMHO but waste some time if you want.

Ben B
29-09-2010, 23:53
then it could be a fault with your NIC

Not really, cause the o/p has already stated they have already tried other computers, and other connections work, just not the VM 50mb connection

pip08456
30-09-2010, 00:19
Not really, cause the o/p has already stated they have already tried other computers, and other connections work, just not the VM 50mb connection

Not only that but the OP has tried the notebook on another connection and everything is fine.

Hence my comment above.

Peter_
30-09-2010, 06:07

Let us know the results.

Ta,
Boaby
Re read the OP's posts as he has tried other machines so more likely an Outage such as valid IP no throughput giving him a 169ip.

mdsbattery
30-09-2010, 08:02
So if I call this number today, (from work not home) is there a specific person I can speak to who has read and understood this thread who can help?

dilli-theclaw
30-09-2010, 08:06
So if I call this number today, (from work not home) is there a specific person I can speak to who has read and understood this thread who can help?As this isn't an official Virgin site I'd say the chances of that are pretty remote. Although I have spoken to people who have heard of CF on occasion.

pip08456
30-09-2010, 09:54
So if I call this number today, (from work not home) is there a specific person I can speak to who has read and understood this thread who can help?

If you ring early enough you'll stand more chance of a UK agent.

Boabyboy
30-09-2010, 15:26
Yes, I have re-read the o/p post but still no harm to double check. Checking to see if the PC can get the internal cable modem ip address is a sign of the DHCP is working ok. But, if you leave coax out of the cable modem for a few mins and insert again, sometimes, the connection comes back to life and offers the PC a valid ip address range.

So, yes it may be a waste of time but you dont know if you dont try. It may well be a valid ip address but no throughput issue as others have pointed out. But the issue got me thinking, the o/p must get a valid ip address not a 169ip which is stated in the original post. Yes, I know he has tried other connections but since o/p is with VM, TSC agents must follow the support processes before calling 2nd line support or if the agent does not follow then the agent can expect to be reported back to his/her team manager by 2nd line for not following TSC support processes.

It's sucks but ye gotta do it.

Ta,
Boaby

mdsbattery
30-09-2010, 16:24
Thanks for that.

Yes we did pull the coax, no we didn't get a valid ip at any time.

Thanks for helping though, any more suggestions welcome

Peter_
30-09-2010, 16:35
Thanks for that.

Yes we did pull the coax, no we didn't get a valid ip at any time.

Thanks for helping though, any more suggestions welcome
With the coax out did you still get a 169ip or did you get a 192ip.

mdsbattery
02-10-2010, 17:13
Yes I think we still got 169ip

However, today the engineer came, swapped the modem and hey presto it all works again, pretty much as I expected.

Shame it took so many calls to support, and having to call the billing department to get an engineer to come and fix such an obvious and simple fault.