PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Broaband and they sent my Jiffy bag to my old address!

Chrystal86
28-09-2010, 22:31
Hi, I cancelled my Virgin Broadband last week as I no longer live in the property.

I called them stating I wanted to cancel as I had already moved out and the person I moved in with already have a Virgin account/connection, so I didn't want to transfer my services.

The lady on the phone said they will need the modem and router back and will send me a jiffy bag to return it. She specifically asked for my NEW address and said that is where it will be sent to (makes sense really, since I have moved already).

Anyway, I just found out it has infact gone to my old address (the address the broadband was registered in) and I am wondering what info they put in with the jiffy bag, do they include any addresses in a letter sent with it or anything?
The reason I ask - I moved out because of an abusive relationship and do NOT want my ex to find out my new address! (for obvious reasons). And now I am freaking out worrying if when Virgin sent my jiffy bag to my old address it included my new address/contact details in the letter! If that is the case I will be absolutely fuming :mad:. Why can't anyone do their job right, the lady specifically asked for my new address to have the jiffy bag sent to! :rolleyes:

Peter_
28-09-2010, 23:21
That will be because the system will not let you send to an alternate address, if they try to send via your old account as all it will do is go to that address.

Chrystal86
28-09-2010, 23:28
I am not aksing for someone to confirm that Virgin did/didn't send my new address details in with the jiffy bag. I just want to see if others who have cancelled received any kind of 'letter' in with the jiffy bag when they were requested to return their router.

I have tried phoning them, but of course after trying found out their phone lines closed at 8pm!

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Sorry Masque didn't see your reply.

I told her I had already moved out (she even asked if I knew the new tenants to get them to sign up for Virgin) and she specifically asked my new address details to send my final bill and jiffy bag to. (The Virgin broadband in my new address isn't in my name). I am just angry that no one seems to know their job anymore and give incorrect details/info.

Peter_
28-09-2010, 23:29
I am not aksing for someone to confirm that Virgin did/didn't send my new address details in with the jiffy bag. I just want to see if others who have cancelled received any kind of 'letter' in with the jiffy bag when they were requested to return their router.

I have tried phoning them, but of course after trying found out their phone lines closed at 8pm!
I know what you meant but I was telling you what tends to happens, possibly if you ring during the day an agent may be able to send the jiffy bag out if the is another way of doing so.

Chrystal86
28-09-2010, 23:37
I know what you meant but I was telling you what tends to happens, possibly if you ring during the day an agent may be able to send the jiffy bag out if the is another way of doing so.

My problem isn't the fact that I haven't received the jiffy bag, it's the fact they sent it to my old address where someone lives who I do not want knowing my new address. That is why I am asking if Virgin include some kind of confirmation/letter in with the jiffy bag when they send it. The person who lives at my old address has opened the jiffy bag, so if there was any letter or info about my new address then they will have found out which I don't need.

Peter_
28-09-2010, 23:56
My problem isn't the fact that I haven't received the jiffy bag, it's the fact they sent it to my old address where someone lives who I do not want knowing my new address. That is why I am asking if Virgin include some kind of confirmation/letter in with the jiffy bag when they send it. The person who lives at my old address has opened the jiffy bag, so if there was any letter or info about my new address then they will have found out which I don't need.
I rather doubt the is anything with your new address on it as even when they send modems and routers out the is nothing inside the packaging except a generic letter with no address on them, I expect the same will have happened here.

Chrystal86
28-09-2010, 23:59
I rather doubt the is anything with your new address on it as even when they send modems and routers out the is nothing inside the packaging except a generic letter with no address on them, I expect the same will have happened here.

Thank you Masque. Hopefully that is the case. I will of course be phoning Virgin tomorrow to see how I go about returning the router another way.

Peter_
29-09-2010, 00:04
Thank you Masque. Hopefully that is the case. I will of course be phoning Virgin tomorrow to see how I go about returning the router another way.
Usually everything is prepacked on a shelf in a warehouse waiting to be picked and they just stick an external label on the item being sent, I ordered a new modem and received 3 all with my name on but nothing internally and it was the same with the remote I received last week.

pip08456
29-09-2010, 00:24
I'm sorry Masque but you seem to have totally lost the plot on this one, as do VM.

The OP has moved from an abusive relationship and what she is worried about is the abuser finding out her new address because of VM sending the Jiffy bag to the old address!!!

She doesn't give a **** about the modem, router or a new Jiffy bag!

All she wants to know is.............does the jiffy bag that VM sent originally, wrongly, to her old address contain the details of her new address?????????????

If not then say so then she can get on with her life instead of looking over her shoulder!!!!!

Sorry Masque you replied whilst I was compiling mine.

Peter_
29-09-2010, 07:19
I'm sorry Masque but you seem to have totally lost the plot on this one, as do VM.

The OP has moved from an abusive relationship and what she is worried about is the abuser finding out her new address because of VM sending the Jiffy bag to the old address!!!

She doesn't give a **** about the modem, router or a new Jiffy bag!

All she wants to know is.............does the jiffy bag that VM sent originally, wrongly, to her old address contain the details of her new address?????????????

If not then say so then she can get on with her life instead of looking over her shoulder!!!!!

Sorry Masque you replied whilst I was compiling mine.
I noticed that I was just pointing out that they just stick a label on a pre sealed bag which includes a generic letter so the new address should be untraceable, if the OP has services at his or her new address then ask for return packaging to be sent there otherwise I am not aware of it being possible to send to none Virginmedia account address.

Chrystal86
30-09-2010, 16:57
I just wanted to update... Virgin DID put a letter in with the jiffy bag and it did have my new address on! To say I am angry is an understatement! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I may now have to move AGAIN because of this and I have no money to do so, so that will be a very difficult task. Anyway, when my ex does decide to show up at my new address, he will cause so much abuse and physical damage trying to get me to answer the door, my landlord will chuck me out anyway :(

God, I am seriously very p***ed with Virgin right now!

The ? (I wanted to insert a cerain word here, but thought best not to as I don't want to be banned!) sent the jiffy bag to my old address, yet addressed me in the letter with my new address, what the?

Peter_
30-09-2010, 18:22
I just wanted to update... Virgin DID put a letter in with the jiffy bag and it did have my new address on! To say I am angry is an understatement! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I may now have to move AGAIN because of this and I have no money to do so, so that will be a very difficult task. Anyway, when my ex does decide to show up at my new address, he will cause so much abuse and physical damage trying to get me to answer the door, my landlord will chuck me out anyway :(

God, I am seriously very p***ed with Virgin right now!

The ? (I wanted to insert a cerain word here, but thought best not to as I don't want to be banned!) sent the jiffy bag to my old address, yet addressed me in the letter with my new address, what the?
I am lost for words as i have previously posted above that usually it is just a package with a label stuck on it, I am amazed that anyone can be so stupid to do the exact opposite of what you asked them to do when you rang them.

I would send a email of complaint to the CEO's office over this sheer incompetence with your full account details and an explanation of what has transpired.

The email address is neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk which is the CEO's office and the address is in the public domain.

Chrystal86
30-09-2010, 18:40
I am lost for words as i have previously posted above that usually it is just a package with a label stuck on it, I am amazed that anyone can be so stupid to do the exact opposite of what you asked them to do when you rang them.

I would send a email of complaint to the CEO's office over this sheer incompetence with your full account details and an explanation of what has transpired.

The email address is neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk which is the CEO's office and the address is in the public domain.

Thank you Masque for giving me the email address. I will definitely send an email of complaint.

I am not racist, but I often think alot of problems arise because of the lack of understanding of the British language/accents. I feel rather than make mistakes because of it, maybe they should just say "pardon, could you repeat that please?" - I honestly wouldn't have minded (although when speaking to a customer service person who isn't English I always make a point of speaking slower and clearer so not to cause confusion). But I can confirm she did get my new address details correct, I gave her my Postcode and she read out the address and it was 100% correct. I remember asking her at the end of the phone call "the jiffy bag and final bill will be sent to my new address, right?" and she confirmed yes they would.

Peter_
30-09-2010, 18:43
Thank you Masque for giving me the email address. I will definitely send an email of complaint.

I am not racist, but I often think alot of problems arise because of the lack of understanding of the British language/accents. I feel rather than make mistakes because of it, maybe they should just say "pardon, could you repeat that please?" - I honestly wouldn't have minded (although when speaking to a customer service person who isn't English I always make a point of speaking slower and clearer so not to cause confusion). But I can confirm she did get my new address details correct, I gave her my Postcode and she read out the address and it was 100% correct.
Let us know how you get on.

The package would have been sent from a depot in the UK and I wonder why they enclosed a letter with the address you actually wanted the packaging sent to, very strange.

Chrystal86
30-09-2010, 22:44
Let us know how you get on.

The package would have been sent from a depot in the UK and I wonder why they enclosed a letter with the address you actually wanted the packaging sent to, very strange.

Well earlier this evening I sent a complaint email to the email address you posted above.

I had a reply abot 20 mins ago. This is the exact reply:
I'm so sorry that we have messed you about. I'll ask my office to help

:shrug:

Peter_
01-10-2010, 09:09
You should get a update later today then if not send them a reply around 3pm asking them to get back to you.

REM
03-10-2010, 18:31
To be fair to VM, your circumstances are not typical.

I doubt they have a "Keep address secret from abusive/violent ex partner" option on their screen.

If you were THAT concerned for your safety why did you not just cancel your direct debit and forget about it.

watzizname
03-10-2010, 19:27
To be fair to VM, your circumstances are not typical.

I doubt they have a "Keep address secret from abusive/violent ex partner" option on their screen.

If you were THAT concerned for your safety why did you not just cancel your direct debit and forget about it.

Maybe because she was doing what she thought was the right thing, said equipment being the property of VM and all?

I believe they (like most companies with computerized systems) have the capability to add notes to an account, to prevent cockups like this from happening.

Peter_
03-10-2010, 19:35
Maybe because she was doing what she thought was the right thing, said equipment being the property of VM and all?

I believe they (like most companies with computerized systems) have the capability to add notes to an account, to prevent cockups like this from happening.
What should have happened is the jiffy bag should have gone to the address of the person she is living with as they are with Virginmedia, but the stupid agent must have booked the order against the original account and the is no way that you can send from one account to another address on the system.

As for computerised systems being able to add notes, afraid not as that would be a DPA nightmare and the ex- partner can demand all notes are sent to him so that is a no no.

watzizname
03-10-2010, 20:01
What should have happened is the jiffy bag should have gone to the address of the person she is living with as they are with Virginmedia, but the stupid agent must have booked the order against the original account and the is no way that you can send from one account to another address on the system.

I guess i stand corrected then..

Would the "stupid agent" be the person she spoke to over the phone, or someone else in the chain?

As for computerised systems being able to add notes, afraid not as that would be a DPA nightmare and the ex- partner can demand all notes are sent to him so that is a no no.

I wasn't aware of that.

Hi, I cancelled my Virgin Broadband last week as I no longer live in the property.

I called them stating I wanted to cancel as I had already moved out and the person I moved in with already have a Virgin account/connection, so I didn't want to transfer my services.

The lady on the phone said they will need the modem and router back and will send me a jiffy bag to return it. She specifically asked for my NEW address and said that is where it will be sent to (makes sense really, since I have moved already).

Anyway, I just found out it has infact gone to my old address (the address the broadband was registered in) and I am wondering what info they put in with the jiffy bag, do they include any addresses in a letter sent with it or anything?
The reason I ask - I moved out because of an abusive relationship and do NOT want my ex to find out my new address! (for obvious reasons). And now I am freaking out worrying if when Virgin sent my jiffy bag to my old address it included my new address/contact details in the letter! If that is the case I will be absolutely fuming . Why can't anyone do their job right, the lady specifically asked for my new address to have the jiffy bag sent to!

I got the impression that she was the customer, so i'm not sure how anyone phoning in, claiming to be a partner, would be given access to any information on her account?

Peter_
03-10-2010, 20:56
Would the "stupid agent" be the person she spoke to over the phone, or someone else in the chain?
It will be the agent she spoke to.

I got the impression that she was the customer, so i'm not sure how anyone phoning in, claiming to be a partner, would be given access to any information on her account?
I think that the was a new account in the Ex's name and when given the address that she previously had with her own account, the agent went into the EX's account for reasons only known to them.

Any packaging could have been sent via the address she is now living at as she states the is an active account there..

Of course this may all be supposition but I think she spoke to offshore who got rather mixed up and sent the jiffy bags to the wrong address, I could be completely wrong but it kind of fits.

This call should have been dealt with by Customer Relations who should have been able to deal with the issue correctly.