PDA

View Full Version : 20mb BB trial - Scam?

spanky
28-09-2010, 20:47
Just recieved a call from Virginmedia offering a free 20mb BB trial for 3 months and £6 per month after. Am currently on 10mb L BB. Is anyone aware of this being a current offer, or a potential scam for someone else, as they knew my current package and name of account holder, but also required account password to allow upgrade to complete. This call was 1hr ago would the upgrade be immediate, as I am not seeing it yet??

Peter_
28-09-2010, 20:52
I expect that you gave no bank details on this call.

I would reboot the modem as it will not accept the correct Docsis file until rebooted.
Then when you are back online click the links here and post the configuration page which should look like the one below if on 20Mb just click http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp or if that does not work click http://192.168.100.1/

Cable Modem Operation Configuration Network Access : Allowed Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000

spanky
28-09-2010, 21:17
Thanks Masque, will reboot now and get back to you. No I did not give any bank details, but only afterwards thought that the password request seemed strange.

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Ok rebooted modem and pc and link is showing me that I am still on 10mb? Should I call Virgin CS to be on the safe side, if so what would be best department to speak to broadband or customer service?

freeair
28-09-2010, 21:24
On the rare occasions I have had to call VM they have always asked me for my password so I shouldn't worry. However it does fly in the face of normal web precautions.

spanky
28-09-2010, 21:28
That is why I am now worried, as they called me offered me the deal, then asked for password to authorise after deal was agreed?? Now cannot get hold of VM customer services as they close at 8pm....:confused:

General Maximus
28-09-2010, 21:31
I wouldnt worry about it too much dude, whenever I have rang customer sernices or tech support in the past they have always asked me for the account password

spanky
28-09-2010, 21:35
As i say though it is the fact that they called me I did not call them, it could have been anyone for all I know claiming they were Virgin. 20mb increase would have been nice as well:D

TheDon
28-09-2010, 21:54
As i say though it is the fact that they called me I did not call them, it could have been anyone for all I know claiming they were Virgin. 20mb increase would have been nice as well:D

They'll still have wanted the password to ensure that you are the account holder and therefore authorised to make the upgrade.

If you're ever in any doubt give a wrong password first, if they tell you it's incorrect you know they're the real deal ;)

frogstamper
29-09-2010, 05:59
Put your mind at rest spanky and give CS a bell, I'm sure it'll be fine mate.

broadbandking
29-09-2010, 09:51

Customer Services should be open till midniht, well they did when I worked for that department.

moaningmags
29-09-2010, 12:04
If you're ever in any doubt give a wrong password first, if they tell you it's incorrect you know they're the real deal ;)

That's a great idea, I would honestly never have thought of that.

Hugh
29-09-2010, 12:12
They'll still have wanted the password to ensure that you are the account holder and therefore authorised to make the upgrade.

What I tend to do (if they have called me, they being any purported representative of a company who asks for my password) is give the 2nd and 5th character of my password, and ask them for the 4th and 8th character - this validates who they are, and who I am to them.;)

spanky
29-09-2010, 14:05
Blinking Virgin. After all my stressing last night I finally got through to CS. Spoke to someone who re-assurred me that the call was legit. I then enquired as to when my 20mb upgrade would be activated. They then proiceeded to inform me that I would not be getting the free upgrade, as the person who called last night had not looked into my account deep enough to realise that I had a retention deal. In turn they could not give me the deal. The only way to get 20mb would be to sign a new 12 month contract paying the standard rate. :mad:

Harlow CM20
29-09-2010, 14:19
I was on retention deal before I tried to upgrade, I upgraded to 20Mb for an extra £1.50 per month with a new 12month contract.

I'll probably be phoning them tomorrow to cancel back to 10Mb since my connection is broken for the purposes I'd like to use it for.

So, you got lied to by VirginMedia when you dialed 150 for assistance aswell did you spanky?

spanky
29-09-2010, 14:37
Yes it appears I was lied to Harlow. At least there is no identity theft or anything happening but still but annoyed that they promise me 1 thing 1 day and take it away the next!!

Peter_
29-09-2010, 14:45
Yes it appears I was lied to Harlow. At least there is no identity theft or anything happening but still but annoyed that they promise me 1 thing 1 day and take it away the next!!
I do not think they lied to you but made a mistake over your account and the agent who told you the correct details should have raised a complaint for you.

spanky
29-09-2010, 14:53
Hmmm perhaps lied is a bit strong in tone, I suppose it is because I am just a bit miffed at what happened. 20mb like a dangling carrot almost in my grasp then snatched away at the last minute.:D

broadbandking
29-09-2010, 14:55

Can't take it away if you never had it

Maggy
29-09-2010, 19:29
Can't take it away if you never had it

You are a right Job's comforter..:rolleyes:

colin25
29-09-2010, 19:44
The Virgin giveth, and the Virgin taketh away

:D

REM
01-10-2010, 23:07
I keep getting calls from VM and they always ask for my password. They don't even tell me what they want.

I just refuse to give it to them full stop and ask them to prove who they are. They say they are from VM as if that is proof. I reply well I am Mr xxxxxx. If their word that they are from is VM is good enough for me why won't they take MY word.

It's quite fun arguing with someone from Bangalore who doesn't get the subtleties of the English language :)