PDA

View Full Version : Advice Internet connection thru STB

mika101
28-09-2010, 16:58
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I have just bought a new TV this has an internet connection. I would like to connect my samsung Vbox smt-2110c directly to the TV. Is this possible???
I have internet service thru Virgin But our PC and Cable modem(ntl home200) are upstairs we have no wireless router available so I was hoping I could connect the STB to the TV directlly with an ethernet cable? any ideas how to get this to work?? I have connect both but I am getting no DNS error..
Thanks in advance!

BenMcr
28-09-2010, 17:16
No you can't connect your TV internet socket to the STB - it won't work

If your TV doesn't have an option of USB wireless adapter, you would need a Wireless Bridge adapter (also sold as Wireless Gaming (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B0002AGJOE) adapters).

These allow a wireless connection to created between your TV and the router, but the TV thinks it's on a wired connection

mika101
28-09-2010, 17:17
ah right then, thanks for the quick reply... Oh i forgot to ask, why do these stb have the erthernet port?

BenMcr
28-09-2010, 17:40
Because they used to offer internet through them - but the STB can only do up to around 6Mb so have become outdated as the minumum service Virgin retail is 10Mb

Peter_
28-09-2010, 17:43
ah right then, thanks for the quick reply... Oh i forgot to ask, why do these stb have the erthernet port?
We still have a few customers receiving broadband through a set top box but as soon as they call in with a fault we get a technician sent out to fit a stand alone cable modem as we can no longer provision them for broadband.

Matth
01-10-2010, 00:53
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169923#reviews
A pair of these can be used as a wireless bridge, plenty of info in the reviews - they have been on special offer at £5 off from time to time (Mine was £12.48 and free delivery) - not the best routers in the world, but quite adequate.
N150 spec, using 2 channels, 1 antenna - if only one usable channel can be found, It'll be N at 72mbit (maximum).