PDA

View Full Version : virginmedia security and windows7/64bit

manofdevon
28-09-2010, 07:48
I connected up the wifes new Toshiba laptop(windows7/64bit) yesterday to the virginmedia service for the first time.

I got sent to the dog house.

It then started taking 10minutes to load up windows and 20 minutes to shut down. Serious.

Are other members experiencing trouble with this kind of setup?

I have put in the recovery disks and everything is working smoothly again as well as our harmonic relations.

But no internet connection on her laptop.

pip08456
28-09-2010, 08:19
If you think VM security is causing the problem then don't use it. Use something else.

manofdevon
28-09-2010, 08:23
If you think VM security is causing the problem then don't use it. Use something else.

Fair comment. However do other forum members have this security program installed on this system?
If so what are their experiences?

Xtinguish
28-09-2010, 10:25
I find that the best combination on Windows 7/64bit on a laptop is Avast 5 antivirus and the inbuilt Windows Defender. Otherwise, Defender conflicts with some security systems and you have to disable it.

pip08456
28-09-2010, 10:30
Everyone has their own opinions and preferences when it comes to security software.

The guiding point here is "Use whatever works for you".

RedDragon
28-09-2010, 10:43
I have a Toshiba with windows 7 64bit and I use Virgin media security with no problem. I used to use AVG but this was causing problems.

Cromulent
28-09-2010, 11:41
I use Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows. It works a treat.

v0id
28-09-2010, 13:43
I use Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows. It works a treat.

I also use this on 64 bit Win7 and 32 bit Vista.

I use Nod32 (*cough totally legit username + password, honest 'guv) on my XP machine though

manofdevon
28-09-2010, 15:11
Why did one poster come in with a good mark for windows7 / 64 bit and virginsecurity and my laptop which has worked perfectly without any prior connection or set up to the web suddenly do a flip when virgin and their security was uploaded?

I could do with some sound advice please on what to do about using these two services to get normal operation.

At the present time switching to another security system is not an option if its going to upset the lady who does have hypertension problems and cannot take any stressful life situations. After all I assume this problem can reoccur on another program.

jimpy0
28-09-2010, 15:21
As with people all Pc's are different and there is no universal 1 fix for all.

For my twopenneth i recomend Nod 32 [pre suite] on Xp, and Essentials on all others, i get not noticable internet lag using it as with others with allegedly realtime monitoring. Essentials is free :- http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

and if she wants a stress free life maybe owning a pc isnt the way to go :lol:

arcimedes
28-09-2010, 15:22
Why did one poster come in with a good mark for windows7 / 64 bit and virginsecurity and my laptop which has worked perfectly without any prior connection or set up to the web suddenly do a flip when virgin and their security was uploaded?

I could do with some sound advice please on what to do about using these two services to get normal operation.

At the present time switching to another security system is not an option if its going to upset the lady who does have hypertension problems and cannot take any stressful life situations. After all I assume this problem can reoccur on another program

I blame IBM for allowing any one a make a PC :rolleyes:

Seriously though no two models of PC are identical and can behave differently, I am afraid that you do have to experiment until you get something that behaves as you want it to.

manofdevon
28-09-2010, 15:42
The laptop came with a 30day Mcfee system. The laptop was purchased in May but never connected to the web until yesterday 28th September. Do you think the laptop was designed to work with Mcfee and perhaps not another security program? The Mcfee has a premium to pay of course.

In the past I can recall users saying how it had slowed down their xp or ME or whatever.

jimpy0
28-09-2010, 16:03
there in lies your problem - only total removal of Mcaffee if you want to use something else - AV's dont play well together esp Norton and Mcaffee

SiJ2000
28-09-2010, 17:55
MS Security Essentials gets my vote :)

AndyCalling
28-09-2010, 18:09
Just remember to turn off Windows Defender (or uninstall it if you use XP) and uninstall any other security package. Then installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It causes less problems than any other package I know and handles both adware and viruses. The Windows firewall will do the rest. Fire and forget.

RainmakerRaw
29-09-2010, 04:12
Personally I'd disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall then install Comodo Internet Security Premium 2011. It includes a good antivirus with cloud scanning and heuristics, as well as an automatic sandbox, default-deny behavioural analysis and all kinds of good stuff. All that, and it only uses around 10MB of RAM (memory) and doesn't cost a penny! :D

manofdevon
29-09-2010, 07:13
I did uninstall McFee before installing virgin security.

However the laptop came with windows 7/64 already installed and Mcfee also.
So can you really completely clear Mcfee when its in the factory installed partition of the setup?

Is Mcfee still there in the background causing the conflict?

So has anyone here got windows7/64 virgin broadband and Mcfee who is getting a good running computer?

roughbeast
29-09-2010, 20:18

VM security is known for its heavy use of system resources. It affects speed tests also.

I have uninstalled mine and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead. OK it's not as thorough as Kasperski or Norton but it works with hardly any use of resources. I keep SpyHunter installed ready to run in case I catch something nasty.

manofdevon
29-09-2010, 20:46
We are missing the point here.

VM security is working perfectly and fast (apart from the boot up and screen) on my XP/sp3 desktop but it will not do the same on the new toshiba laptop with W7/64bit.

Have Toshiba and Mcfee got the laptop tied to their loadings and the virgin security is not suitable?

pip08456
29-09-2010, 21:23
We are missing the point here.

Have Toshiba and Mcfee got the laptop tied to their loadings and the virgin security is not suitable?

It doesn't work like that. All Toshiba have done is give you a trial version of McAfee (most likely for a payment from them) but it is not tied in. If you don't want it uninstall it.

As to VM security- don't know- don't use it. I have my own set up for security and as I said before it is all personal taste as to what you use. Everybody will have a different opinion on what is best.

If VM security is giving you such problems either uninstall and use something else or contact CS and go through the hoops to solve the problem.

jimpy0
29-09-2010, 22:40
You cant teach them as wont learn or listen !!!!

pip08456
29-09-2010, 22:58
You cant teach them as wont learn or listen !!!!

Got to agree.

manofdevon
30-09-2010, 07:26
So why does one security program work on one PC in this house but will not work on the other?

Your comments re listening are not helping. A forum is a way of getting problems like this solved.

arcimedes
30-09-2010, 07:52
So why does one security program work on one PC in this house but will not work on the other?

As an example I had Macafee on my Dell laptop (XP) for 3 years as it was free for 3 years, but the laptop was slow to boot. It was also very annoying in the way it operated and it wanted to do but was good enough for the amount of use the laptop got (mainly used on holidays).

I then replaced it with Zone alarm and Avast as they were free and much less trouble.

On my PC Win7 64bit I ave just dropped avast and now only use comodo and saw a increase in speed of loading pages.

Different processor and RAM will have an effect how things run as will everything else. It would be use if you posted the specs of the two PCs it may give some clue.

manofdevon
30-09-2010, 08:20
The new laptop is the Toshiba 17.3 with 2300 pentium 4gb memory.window7/64bit Windows was preloaded together with the Mcfee which is also in the preload recovery disk.

The desktop privately built is xp/3 (not preloaded) amd athlon, over 3000 and 2gbs ram. and no preloaded virus program and it works with any virus program loaded over the past 4 years perfectly.

So thats why I think a preloaded computer most probably works with the virus program loaded because it was designed to do that. But it probably means being tied to paying Mcfee in this instance?

arcimedes
30-09-2010, 09:13
So thats why I think a preloaded computer most probably works with the virus program loaded because it was designed to do that. But it probably means being tied to paying Mcfee in this instance?

No.

You may have to cleanup the registry to remove the last remnants of macafee. It was notorious in the past for being very difficult to eradicate fully. persevere dont let it beat You ;)

pip08456
30-09-2010, 09:51
A very useful free app to clean the registry is here (http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/)

roughbeast
30-09-2010, 09:57
I did uninstall McFee before installing virgin security.

However the laptop came with windows 7/64 already installed and Mcfee also.
So can you really completely clear Mcfee when its in the factory installed partition of the setup?

Is Mcfee still there in the background causing the conflict?

So has anyone here got windows7/64 virgin broadband and Mcfee who is getting a good running computer?

Do McAFee supply a complete uninstalll and clean up tool like Symantec had to? I used to have a similar problem with Symantec, until they provided the tool. You couldn't properly install an upgrade, even, until Symantec solved the problem. It might be worth asking.

.................................................. ...............................................

This could be the solution.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

manofdevon
30-09-2010, 10:14
Roughbeast, that mcfee link was very informative.

Especially the advice by Mcfee to initialise the service first before attempting to uninstall. Dont know whether I can comply with that now after running the laptop for 5 months without it having been done. (it was a 30 day setup, perhaps if I put in the recovery disk it gets another 30day ?)

So it comes back to what I have been thinking, if a virus protection is preinstalled it most probably becomes unsuitable to install other virus programs, and also if you were unaware of all restrictions.

roughbeast
30-09-2010, 10:26
Roughbeast, that mcfee link was very informative.

Especially the advice by Mcfee to initialise the service first before attempting to uninstall. Dont know whether I can comply with that now after running the laptop for 5 months without it having been done. (it was a 30 day setup, perhaps if I put in the recovery disk it gets another 30day ?)

So it comes back to what I have been thinking, if a virus protection is preinstalled it most probably becomes unsuitable to install other virus programs, and also if you were unaware of all restrictions.

If reinstalling doesn't work it might be worth contacting their tech help. http://home.mcafee.com/Root/Support.aspx?cid=70955 OR http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx

Wild Oscar
04-10-2010, 23:54
Just remember to turn off Windows Defender (or uninstall it if you use XP) and uninstall any other security package. Then installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It causes less problems than any other package I know and handles both adware and viruses. The Windows firewall will do the rest. Fire and forget.

You don't need to turn off Defender , installing Microsoft Security Essentials will do that for you .. at least it did that for me in Win 7 64bit.

AndyCalling
07-10-2010, 23:35
You don't need to turn off Defender , installing Microsoft Security Essentials will do that for you .. at least it did that for me in Win 7 64bit.

Originally its record was not perfect in turning off Defender properly. I can't remember the details. Best to just turn it off yourself (or uninstall it if you're using XP).

MSE never seems to interfere with other games and software, and it is designed not to slow the system down, MS has actually made a good job here, as it seems to catch everything I've had to deal with and never seems to slow anything down or muck it up. They update it daily and you know MS will want to crush any threat they see before it generates bad PR so they are very motivated in this area.

Never touch Norton. I've seen too much wreckage left by their 'helpful' tools. Norton could make great software for DOS, they just never got to grips with Windows. Getting rid of Norton stuff can sometimes be tough as well.

Other software? If you want. If you get problems or slowdowns, MSE is still there. Just don't use the Virgin thing as it sounds even worse than Norton stuff.