PDA

View Full Version : Installation friday... what to expect?

A[L]C
27-09-2010, 19:29
Hi all,

Have a few questions re installation.

I was speaking to an install engineer and he said that someone should be round wednesday ish to pull a cable from the cabinet to my door. Is this correct? If its not done on wednesday should I call virgin?

On friday, what is the procedure for installation? Are there any things I should check before I let the engineer leave? Anything to check?

I obviously have plenty of tea biscuits and cake for the engineer to keep him in good spirits lol.

Thanks

Digital Fanatic
27-09-2010, 19:43
C;35099230']Hi all,

Have a few questions re installation.

I was speaking to an install engineer and he said that someone should be round wednesday ish to pull a cable from the cabinet to my door. Is this correct? If its not done on wednesday should I call virgin?

On friday, what is the procedure for installation? Are there any things I should check before I let the engineer leave? Anything to check?

I obviously have plenty of tea biscuits and cake for the engineer to keep him in good spirits lol.

Thanks

Hi,

A pre-install team will take care of the cable in the street, nothing to worry about unless they have construction problems. VM should inform you if this happens and delays your install.

What are you having installed? V+HD? Broadband? Phone?

Just be clear with the installers where you want everything to go... make sure On Demand/interactive works and if you have a HD tv and V+HD box, then make sure it's set to HD with a HDMI lead.

They won't have time for tea/biscuits though, they have a lot of calls to get through :D

A[L]C
27-09-2010, 20:31
This is what Im worried about - the pre installation requiring construction. Im a contractor so have to take the time off unpaid.

See my thread here for more info http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33669322-maidenhead.html

Im having xl tv with a hd box, 50mb bb and m phone.

Am I correct in thinking I should be given a usb wireless N adaptor too?

And what power levels should I check for?

Dave_
27-09-2010, 21:11
Theres a chance the 1st installer wont do the 50meg and a service tech will turn up shortly after to do this. Get the 50meg tech to show you a speedtest.

A[L]C
27-09-2010, 21:20
by shortly do you mean that day?

jb66
27-09-2010, 22:24
Contractors now do 50meg so should be one visit

A[L]C
27-09-2010, 22:31
Is it worth me checking the power levels on the modem? if so what should they look like/

Jonnymeg
28-09-2010, 17:17
C;35099350']Is it worth me checking the power levels on the modem? if so what should they look like/

If all your services are working correctly and you are getting your speeds then do not worry about that. There is far to much 'worrying' about signal levels on these boards, sometimes its simply not possible to get the ideal power. Even if the levels are quite a way off you can find yourself with a perfectly great service.

Yes you should get a USB 'N' Adapter with your install of 50meg.

A[L]C
28-09-2010, 19:38
Thanks everyone

Digital Fanatic
28-09-2010, 20:13
C;35099842']Thanks everyone

Let us know how you get on :)

A[L]C
28-09-2010, 20:21
I certainly will. Im very excited, but very nervous too!

Digital Fanatic
28-09-2010, 20:36
C;35099874']I certainly will. Im very excited, but very nervous too!

Don't be nervous... what I would say though is on Wednesday night (after the pre-install team have been out) give VM a call to make sure it's all still booked in and no problems were found with construction. also make sure they have your mobile number :)

A[L]C
28-09-2010, 20:46
Should I be able to see any work done my the pre install? ie do they run the cable near the flat?

Digital Fanatic
28-09-2010, 20:54
C;35099903']Should I be able to see any work done my the pre install? ie do they run the cable near the flat?

Possibly, but not always. I know when we got installed at this address the guys pulled the cable through and burried it on the day of install.

Peter_
28-09-2010, 21:00
Possibly, but not always. I know when we got installed at this address the guys pulled the cable through and burried it on the day of install.
Same here.

A[L]C
28-09-2010, 21:10
ahh ok

Digital Fanatic
28-09-2010, 21:13
Pre install just make sure the cable is ready to be pulled and that the install can go ahead. i.e no blockages etc.

A[L]C
30-09-2010, 17:52
All good so far. Pre install team came today and have put a cable near to my flat. Had a call from virgin saying its all booked tomorrow and confirming I would be in.

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2010, 19:52
C;35101083']All good so far. Pre install team came today and have put a cable near to my flat. Had a call from virgin saying its all booked tomorrow and confirming I would be in.

Fantastic... all should be ok for you. I bet you are a little bit excited now? :)

A[L]C
30-09-2010, 20:03
Just a bit, its like christmas lol.

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2010, 23:56
C;35101203']Just a bit, its like christmas lol.

he he :D

A[L]C
01-10-2010, 13:16
well they are here. An hour early but that suits me

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

All done

Download Failed (1)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/89.png

Very happy

weesteev
01-10-2010, 13:54
C;35101534']well they are here. An hour early but that suits me

All done

Download Failed (1)

Haha, Alt.Binz and Astraweb for the win!

Glad it went well for you.

Digital Fanatic
01-10-2010, 17:35
C;35101534']well they are here. An hour early but that suits me

All done

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2553/downloadnz.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/89.png

Very happy

Brilliant, glad to hear all went well :tu:

tm221b
02-10-2010, 19:14
Do they always bury the cable, or tack/attach it to fencing/walls etc... I am looking into getting the Up To 10Mbps package with phone but am a bit concerned about how they get from the road to the house, we have a concrete driveway, I guess they won't cut a channel it that will they?

Peter_
02-10-2010, 19:15
Do they always bury the cable, or tack/attach it to fencing/walls etc... I am looking into getting the Up To 10Mbps package with phone but am a bit concerned about how they get from the road to the house, we have a concrete driveway, I guess they won't cut a channel it that will they?
No they would never cut a channel in a driveway.

Do you have a front lawn with a border if so they will use that.

tm221b
02-10-2010, 19:24
Yes there is a boarder though it has a hedge around it, I suppose they could follow that around, if they cannot actually get under the hedge would they lay it on the service in protective conduit/pipe? also what happens to any BT wiring/master socket do BT remove this themselves?

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

No front lawn, heavy paving and concrete but boarder yes

Peter_
02-10-2010, 19:27
Yes there is a boarder though it has a hedge around it, I suppose they could follow that around, if they cannot actually get under the hedge would they lay it on the service in protective conduit/pipe? also what happens to any BT wiring/master socket do BT remove this themselves?

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

No front lawn, heavy paving and concrete but boarder yes
They will use the easiest way to the house probably through the border.

BT do not remove the overhead cabling and nor do they remove the master socket in case you may want to go back to them.

If after a while you want to remove the BT master socket for decorative purposes just snip the wires as it will not be connected.

tm221b
02-10-2010, 19:40
Thank you very much for your info, my mum and dad will be pleased they won't have to have a JCB in the front garden :) I can see a route that would be easy for them now that you mentioned the boader, do they put the cable in a protective conduit?

Peter_
02-10-2010, 19:42
Thank you very much for your info, my mum and dad will be pleased they won't have to have a JCB in the front garden :) I can see a route that would be easy for them now that you mentioned the boader, do they put the cable in a protective conduit?
They should put inside a green plastic conduit to prevent it being cut by a spade.

tm221b
02-10-2010, 19:46
Thanks, so all they need do in the end is a new hole into the property for the cable to their phone socket.

A[L]C
02-10-2010, 20:11
nope

Peter_
02-10-2010, 20:14
Thanks, so all they need do in the end is a new hole into the property for the cable to their phone socket.
No they drill a hole through the wall where you specify for the isolator box which brings the broadband, television and phone into the property.

tm221b
02-10-2010, 21:05
Ah right ok I see, well there you go...you learn something new every day..an isolator box, cheers.
I phoned Virgin Media earlier, unfortunately I was not told anything near to the information I have found on here, from the sound of it it was an overseas call centre, a very polite lady answered although she was a little difficult at times to understand, though she was unable to give me the specific information I was after, but insisted on trying sell me a package there and then, which is fine if you aware of all that cable entails etc..I politely declined the offers and said I would call again another time, though she seemed quite intent on contacting me and persisting in the sales patter, I said I shall think about it and said thank you and put the phone down.

A suggestion to Virgin Media might be for an enquiry line not a sales line, line where you get answers to simple questions for the newbie to fibre optic cable broadband. I do intend to get a package with Virgin Media though I do not wish or like the pushy sales side. Maybe I shall call during the weekdays perhaps it maybe a UK based operator.
I know they are only trying to do their job, but it was a little too "full on" for me.

Siren
09-10-2010, 00:26
What to expect, grown men who won't step foot on anything higher than a step ladder but have a full set on top of the van. "We're not insured higher than two metres". "if it was my house then yeah", "if I fall that's my family getting nothing".

gazfan
09-10-2010, 00:52
What to expect, grown men who won't step foot on anything higher than a step ladder but have a full set on top of the van. "We're not insured higher than two metres". "if it was my house then yeah", "if I fall that's my family getting nothing".

blame the legislation, not those subject to it ..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hse.gov.uk%2Fpubns%2Findg401. pdf&rct=j&q=working%20at%20height&ei=0a2vTOv7NsWhOv6wrNsF&usg=AFQjCNGXqf1_Or6Gsh3aek8BitpzE--H3Q&sig2=IX9VVlW7yHLqQGVc9p0k7w&cad=rja

jb66
09-10-2010, 07:17

Quite right!