PDA

View Full Version : skype

manofdevon
26-09-2010, 14:50
A colleague in the USA suggests we correspond using skype. Is this possible if I am a virgin broadband cable user (blueyonder)

Kymmy
26-09-2010, 15:08
Yep, skype works on VM cable

superbiatch
26-09-2010, 15:09
Yes, you just download it from here for free http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/home

You'll need to set up an account with a username and password, follow the tutorials and Bob's your Uncle ;)

If you are set up with webcam and microphone as most laptops are these days you can use both them and see who you are speaking to in real time.

I often speak to friends and relatives in the States or Oz, wouldn't be without it now.

Sir John Luke
26-09-2010, 15:22
With family in sweden, another Skype fan here :)

manofdevon
26-09-2010, 15:25
Thanks for replies.

My desktop has not got the webcam but perhaps the misses will bring her laptop (with its webcam)into the new world and join the internet.

I have not got a router so if I connect the modem cable lead to her laptop I assume I get the internet connection up and can use the same username/password as my laptop?

Mind you her laptop is windows 7 and I am xp/3 will that conflict?

grim reaper
26-09-2010, 15:33
Thanks for replies.

My desktop has not got the webcam but perhaps the misses will bring her laptop (with its laptop)into the new world and join the internet.

I have not got a router so if I connect the modem cable lead to her laptop I assume I get the internet connection up and can use the same username/password as my laptop?

just plug the network cable into her laptop then restart the cable modem (unplug it for 15 seconds) and bob's your uncle

Sir John Luke
26-09-2010, 15:34
Thanks for replies.

My desktop has not got the webcam but perhaps the misses will bring her laptop (with its laptop)into the new world and join the internet.

To change from your laptop to Mrs'

1) Power off modem and Mrs' laptop
2) Swap modem cable over
3) Power on modem
4) Power on Mrs' laptop

To log on to Mrs' laptop, you'll either have to use her logon or set up your own logon account. (That's if you mean Windows logon, as Internet access doesn't require one. If you mean Skype username/password, yes, you can use the same on either PC).

Kymmy
26-09-2010, 15:35
Remember that Skype doesn't need a webcam but can also be used purely for voice/telephone style comms

pip08456
26-09-2010, 15:37
And you can always purchase a webcam cheaply enough if she won't let you use her lappy.

colin25
26-09-2010, 15:47
I use skype..chat, web, telephone and to send texts to other countries..lots cheaper

Plenty of virgins on skype..so don't be scared...wait!..where have i heard that before :D

Halcyon
26-09-2010, 18:10
When I installed Skype I also got my first call for free. (To a mobile or landline)