PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace Std Black Modem with ADSL Wireless Router

SteeveO
24-09-2010, 20:08
My parents have Virgin Broadband via cable, (ex NTL.) I wish to conect an n class wireless router to this.

I assume that I can connect this is in series with the existing black box modem and their PC.

However is it possible to do away withthe std virgin black box modem if I replace it with an ADSL router instead.

Cheers
Steeve

Ignitionnet
24-09-2010, 20:10
No. The key words are broadband via cable. Cable and ADSL are totally different things.

Sephiroth
24-09-2010, 20:13
:erm: No you can't do as you suggested (replace the cable modem) because the cable modem has DOCSIS loaded into it which your router doesn't (even if the coax cable could be jammed into the ADSL router!).

Any router can be connected to the ethernet output of the cable modem and thus serve the cable modem's IP address to connected PCs.

v0id
25-09-2010, 00:57
you could 'do away' with their exisitng cable modem if you pay £60 and the get the swanky all-in-one Hub/Modem/Router

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

Peter_
25-09-2010, 06:25
My parents have Virgin Broadband via cable, (ex NTL.) I wish to conect an n class wireless router to this.

I assume that I can connect this is in series with the existing black box modem and their PC.

However is it possible to do away withthe std virgin black box modem if I replace it with an ADSL router instead.

Cheers
Steeve
The modem we supply gives you the internet connection via the white coax that screws on the back, if you look on the back of your ADSL modem/router you will find that it does not have such a connection and even if it did the is no way that it would work as it would not be listed or provisioned on the account.;)

Sephiroth
25-09-2010, 08:34
you could 'do away' with their exisitng cable modem if you pay £60 and the get the swanky all-in-one Hub/Modem/Router

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

"Swanky" isn't quite the word I would have used to describe the VM hub. Customer choice is renoved and a lame solution forced on them.