PDA

View Full Version : Constant Dropouts - 4 New routers in a month

lorddazron
24-09-2010, 15:35
Hi all,

Posting here for the first time, in the hope that you might be able to advise me on how to proceed.

I've been with Virgin a little over a month now. In that time, I have had an engineer out almost every week. The internet is incredibly intermittent. It will drop out for no reason whatsoever and the engineers who come out keep telling me something completely different each time. The first time it was down to the guys who installed it, as they didn't change something in the green box at the end of the street. The latest time it's apparently the new modem/router doesn't work very well with a server at the other end and that hes just been to a job with the same problem (He tells me this as he replaces it with the exact same router).

One and a half days later the internet goes off again. It's miraculously come back on. I compare this to BE who I was with in my previous 2 addresses for 2 and a half years, and I only ever had one problem with them.

I'm sat here waiting for a phone call from customer support, because I'm ready to cancel everything and tell them to do one basically. I'm not dumb or stupid, but not once has an engineer even wanted to look at the Routers log to see where the problem is. Not a single person in tech support has done the same. They just keep throwing a new router at it and hoping thats the problem.

What can I say to them to get this sorted? I really dont want to have to cancel and pay for a BT line to be installed, but if I have no alternative I will.

I'm on 20mb in the Darlington area. Anyone else local having similar problems?

jb66
24-09-2010, 15:46
As an engineer I wouldn't know what to look for in the log either, I look at the signal levels, if its fine then its not a job for an engineer its for second line to figure out.

lorddazron
24-09-2010, 15:52
They haven't even looked at the levels either. I think I've found the problem. My upstream power is running at 55.2dBmV which if I'm right is too high.

Here's the stats anyway:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 299000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256
Channel ID 9 Symbol Rate 5360537
Downstream Frequency 299000000 Hz Downstream Power 0.8 dBmV
SNR 39.7 dBmV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM16
Channel ID 2 Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 45800000 Hz Upstream Power 55.2 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 2183
Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 7757
Max Traffic Rate 768000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 0 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

I'm more annoyed by the fact that when I've had time to actually look into it, it's took me ten minutes to find what the problem is when it would have took them 2 seconds if they had actually looked at the router or the line. I even said to the last guy I'll bring up the stats and he told me it was fine that he didn't need to see them.

jb66
24-09-2010, 16:12
LOL, that is embarrasing, another call to TS???