PDA

View Full Version : cancel and reconnect to virgin

lichung
22-09-2010, 15:26
I've seen some great offers to new customers which can never happen to me as an existing customer

my plan is to give them a 30 day notice then ask my partner to sign up the service as a new customer with an installation date right after the 30 day notice period? would there be a problem with it?

I have read the t&c and it seems like I have to pay a 20 quid disconnection fee even if am out of the minimum period, unless if you are transferring to another provider. I cannot request an MAC and transfer to my partner's new contract, can I? ;)

Stephen
22-09-2010, 16:42
Why not just call customer retentions and say you've got a better offer elsewhere and what can they offer you to make you stay?

Ben B
22-09-2010, 16:45
I believe that you have to wait 3 months or something before reconnecting if you cancel

Mr Angry
22-09-2010, 17:07
I believe that you have to wait 3 months or something before reconnecting if you cancel

Is that a recent VM policy Ben?

Ben B
22-09-2010, 17:15
Is that a recent VM policy Ben?
I don't know but that's what Masque posted recently when someone asked the same question

Mr Angry
22-09-2010, 17:29
I don't know but that's what Masque posted recently when someone asked the same question

Cheers Ben. Interesting if true.

Ignitionnet
22-09-2010, 17:44
It's 6 months as far as I'm aware.

jb66
22-09-2010, 17:44
It is true but they would have no idea if it is a new customer or an existing customer if the surnames are diffrent. Also I cant see virgin refusing to connect a customer because of this

Ignitionnet
22-09-2010, 18:23
It is true but they would have no idea if it is a new customer or an existing customer if the surnames are diffrent. Also I cant see virgin refusing to connect a customer because of this

I am not sure if different names will make a huge amount of difference either, someone who knows would have to comment.

They certainly do refuse to connect customers due to this policy. You literally cannot reconnect within 6 months, systems won't allow it.

Mr Angry
22-09-2010, 19:08
A bit bizarre.

speedfreak
22-09-2010, 19:09
I am not sure if different names will make a huge amount of difference either, someone who knows would have to comment.

They certainly do refuse to connect customers due to this policy. You literally cannot reconnect within 6 months, systems won't allow it.

So if you rang to say you were moving out a new customer couldnt get a contract for 6 months? Crazy

joglynne
22-09-2010, 19:16
My son got VM services in his name the same day as the previous house owner's contract at that address ended. The guy who moved out having cancelled his contract with VM and nor transferred it to his new address.

v0id
22-09-2010, 19:24
I imagine they do a credit check on 'new' customers, names linked to addresses and all that ;)

lichung
22-09-2010, 20:10
well if my partner go head and apply the contract will be under her name rather than mine. the 6 or 3 months ban is only for those reconnect under the same name isn't that right?

the only thing is when we are both on the same address - not sure if that will alert their system......

Peter_
22-09-2010, 20:15
As far as I am aware they do not allow reconnections for a minimum of 3 months as I expect that credit checks will show you are living under the same roof, not heard of it being 6 months though.

I expect that what we are really waiting for is for BenMcr to confirm it one way or another.

I know that NTL used to let you swap and change but new rules have been put in place since then.

lichung
22-09-2010, 23:27
just had a word with CS

say if I put forward a cancellation today and give a 30 day notice
my partner can only start applying 30 days after, and if she applies before that the system will detect an active account on the system and decline her application, even if if she schedule an installation after the 30 days

not sure if he's right as I've just tried to apply for the service online, the system didn't block me out by selecting my current address and I did manage to reach the confirmation page........

RobboEdin
23-09-2010, 09:45
just had a word with CS

say if I put forward a cancellation today and give a 30 day notice
my partner can only start applying 30 days after, and if she applies before that the system will detect an active account on the system and decline her application, even if if she schedule an installation after the 30 days

not sure if he's right as I've just tried to apply for the service online, the system didn't block me out by selecting my current address and I did manage to reach the confirmation page........

That proves absolutely nothing as you are the existing customer and that process will only be a front end to a real review of the situation.

If Virgin Media have in place a process using credit checking to stop people doing what you want to do then I'm all for it.

Have you considered that your girlfriend may fail the credit check and you would not get the service?

You have already been advised of the 'proper' way for existing customers to renegotiate a deal, via Retentions.

adzii_nufc
23-09-2010, 14:01
I was able to cancel 20mb BB and have sky bb fitted in.. I was then appauled at Sky's services and Switched back to Virgin and took out 50mb all within 20 days.

Was classed as a new customer. Any help?

taylorig
24-09-2010, 11:37
Just to add that the last time i called VM up the lady i spoke to told me that if i see any of the offers on their website for new customers i can also take one of them and i've been with VM (Ex NTL) a long time.

That's what i was told anyway and if i do see some offer for new customers that appeals to me i will surely be quoting what i was told...

On that note though it seems as if i get different information everytime i ring them up :rolleyes:

Bonglet
24-09-2010, 12:44
Is it not stupid on vm's part though that existing customers have to go through that proccess in the first place instead of just giving the existing customers the same deal as what they advertise, if they have been a customer for 12 months+ they should be classed as good loyal customers and any benefits passed straight to them, shouldnt have to go the disconnect/reconnect route or chase retentions in the glimmer of a better deal :S.

RobboEdin
24-09-2010, 14:05
Is it not stupid on vm's part though that existing customers have to go through that proccess in the first place instead of just giving the existing customers the same deal as what they advertise, if they have been a customer for 12 months+ they should be classed as good loyal customers and any benefits passed straight to them, shouldnt have to go the disconnect/reconnect route or chase retentions in the glimmer of a better deal :S.

That would indeed be both logical and fair but unfortunately it is not the business model that Virgin Media and the majority of UK businesses work by.

I actually believe that all customers, new and existing, should pay the same price for the same bundle as an ongoing monthly charge.

This does not preclude, however, new customer, one-off incentives to join or real loyalty discounts to reward long-standing customers.