PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Wireless 'N'

monkeyonamoped
20-09-2010, 13:02
Hello,

I've just taken delivery of the free wireless N router supplied with 50MB & was after some advice. I've already got a tried & trusty old Belkin 'G' router running with WEP encryption & want to know the best way to replace it with the wireless 'n' router & use a higher level of security, while still being able to connect the 360.
Am I best uninstalling anything to do with the old router & connecting the main machine direct to the modem to start with, or should I just throw in the installation cd & everything should just work?

roughbeast
21-09-2010, 20:34
Hello,

I've just taken delivery of the free wireless N router supplied with 50MB & was after some advice. I've already got a tried & trusty old Belkin 'G' router running with WEP encryption & want to know the best way to replace it with the wireless 'n' router & use a higher level of security, while still being able to connect the 360.
Am I best uninstalling anything to do with the old router & connecting the main machine direct to the modem to start with, or should I just throw in the installation cd & everything should just work?

I was just wondering why you would want to keep the trusty old Belkin when the N router should provide you with a much better service all round. Any devices you have served by the Belkin will be able to be served by the new router whether your using a wired or wireless connection.

You shouldn't really need to install or uninstall anything. Routers operate independently of computer systems and software. The encryption is part of your router settings. Your client devices will need to know of the encryption passphrase if they are connected wirelessly. You can set these up manually by typing the passphrase in yourself, or if you have a push button on your N router let them set up that way.

Step 1. Connect your new router to the modem and then by wire to your main PC/Lappy.
Step 2. Either run the set up software or manually go to the router set up using the IP address given. This is often 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.0.1
Step 3. Go to the router wireless set up window to decide which security options to go for. WPA2 (TKIP)-PSK (AES) is your most likely. This should support any Wireless G machines you may have. Make sure SSID is enabled and give it a recognisable name. Select 300Mbps for your speed and 'auto' for your channel. In the same window you can type in your own pass phrase, the one your wireless machines will need to know.
Step 4. VM should have provided you with a wireless N adapter for use with one of your wireless machines, so set this up on a machine you need it on.

As for your Belkin, if you still want it to use it to you could run it through your new router but you would have to disable DHCP on one router or the other because you can't have multiple routers using it on your system.

I've probably raised more questions than answers, but I hope this helps a bit.

Peter_
21-09-2010, 20:44
How to setup the D Link below.

D LINK ROUTER SETUP

The first thing you need to do is a pinhole reset if you look on the back of the router the is a grey reset hole, you take a pen and press it into the router while powered on for 15 seconds..

Then you wait for the lights all to turn green on the router then you look for a D Link network which is unsecured and you then connect to it wirelessly.

Then you go go online and in the address bar you get them to put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen

At the top we have Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WCN2, remove the Enable Pin tick and then go the Wireless Network Settings section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your own choice.

Then click on the security options drop down and choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security enhanced, then the Network key box will appear and in here they enter a password with a minimum length of 8 characters then click save settings and wait for it to finish.

You can now look for their newly named network and connect using their password.

You should now be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.

kwikbreaks
21-09-2010, 21:49
As for your Belkin, if you still want it to use it to you could run it through your new router but you would have to disable DHCP on one router or the other because you can't have multiple routers using it on your system.It should be possible to setup the Belkin to use a different subnet and retain DHCP. I have a Fonero+ router running as an internet only AP set up like that.

ie main router runs (say) 192.168.1.n range with WPA and the extra router runs 192.168.10.n range and can remain as WEP if needs be.

I'm guessing WEP is being used because some device or other can't support WPA so doing it that way keeps any WEP crackers from automatic access to the main home network even if they can freeload torrents etc. through the Belkin.

roughbeast
22-09-2010, 06:19
It should be possible to setup the Belkin to use a different subnet and retain DHCP. I have a Fonero+ router running as an internet only AP set up like that.

ie main router runs (say) 192.168.1.n range with WPA and the extra router runs 192.168.10.n range and can remain as WEP if needs be.

I'm guessing WEP is being used because some device or other can't support WPA so doing it that way keeps any WEP crackers from automatic access to the main home network even if they can freeload torrents etc. through the Belkin.

Hi fellow Fonero! :D I run a Fonera2g, so I know what you are saying is true. He could do that with his Belkin, but he might have difficulty accessing the user interface of the Belkin through his new router LAN. He might have to go through machines on the Belkin subnet.

PS for Kwikbreaks.

I don't come across many Foneros like you. Can I pick your brains? I used to be able to access the Fonera2 GUI by surfing there even though it was, as you say, on a different subnet. Since I changed my main router to a WNDR3700 I have been unable to do so. Let me know if you can spare a minute.

kwikbreaks
22-09-2010, 11:02
I can access the Fonera+ router interface through the private wireless SSID using the Fonera+ IP in the browser address. If you need more info than that we should maybe move to using PM.