PDA

View Full Version : net problems after replacement modem/router from virgin

luusac
19-09-2010, 23:37
Hi,

I have just moved house. The engineer installed a new virgin/netgear wireless modem/router VMDG280 in the new place and took the old cable modem (small blue modem (no router) - an Ambit I think) away. Before that I had a router & wap connected to the old modem (modem ethernet into router wap port). Router ran dhcp and vpn fine, with various static IPs set. Now the new modem/router wants to be a dhcp etc. My network won't just plug in and go because there is an additional router in the way, and just I don't want to have to reconfigure everything.

I have tried setting the VMDG280 to the ip of my existing router (which was in a different private range than the default of the virgin supplied router) and changing the existing router's ip, disabling the 280's dhcp etc, but obviously I am loosing connectivity as my router isn't getting dns, gateway info etc and I don't really want to hardcode it etc...

So,
1) How can I use the new modem/router as just a simple cable modem and let my router do everything else?

2) If I could get hold of an Ambit can I just replace the new router with that and connect it up to my existing router and everthing work as before?

Thanks,

lu