PDA

View Full Version : What to expect?

Super-Jay
18-09-2010, 19:16
Hey guys so I had to move to away for uni, my landlord has been trying to sort out are broadband. First we went with o2 but apparently sky the previous provider would not release the line, so he ordered sky now he has just called us today tell us he has ordered virgin cable for the house and the installer will come on Monday.

So what should I expect when the installer arrives, and also do you guys have any tips about cable broadband?

pip08456
18-09-2010, 19:57
The installer will install the cable to the house ansd make sure it is working.

The biggest tip is if you are on only a 10 or 20Mb connection read up on the traffic management here

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html

Super-Jay
18-09-2010, 21:40
Will the broadband be activated when the engineer is finished ?

Also I'm located in Plymouth so does traffic management cover me?

Kymmy
18-09-2010, 21:53
Traffic management is on every location, currently 50Mb doesn't have it and if it's a shared house of students then that would be the one to go for.

Just be aware that most student areas whether you be on ADSL or cable are over subscribed

Super-Jay
18-09-2010, 22:12
Traffic management is on every location, currently 50Mb doesn't have it and if it's a shared house of students then that would be the one to go for.

Just be aware that most student areas whether you be on ADSL or cable are over subscribed

ah right I feared that. The broadband is not my choice I asked the landlord for sky broadband, he decided to order o2 but sky would not release the line. Last I knew we were suppose to receive the router for sky on Monday, then I get a text out of the blue saying he had ordered virgin cable.

Anyway cheers guys.

Matth
19-09-2010, 15:43
Would be useful if the router has per client bandwidth restriction, to prevent one user crippling everyone - Ebuyer's cheap Tenda W311 (N150) has this.