PDA

View Full Version : Problem connecting ITouch and PS3 to VM WIFI

geo1206
16-09-2010, 11:16
Hi there,

Just got Virgin Media installed on Monday. I have the XL package on TV, BB & Phone. The problem I have is I cannot get my ITouch or PS3 to connect through WIFI. I input my key number and it does not accept the password on the ITouch and with the PS3 it just times out. Virgin Media gave me there help number but they wanted me to subscribe for 6 months at £10 per month??? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

kwikbreaks
16-09-2010, 15:48
What encryption type are you using now and what were you using before?

A quick search suggests some PS3s only work with WEP which probably won't be the default on a new router as it is not secure and virtually obsolete.

pabscars
16-09-2010, 16:03
Probably a daft question but is the op actually using a wireless router ?, if so what make and model is it.

Only reason I say that is because there's no mention of a router in the post, and I wondered if the op was incorrectly assuming the modem was a wireless router.

Which is easy to do if they have never had cable before

geo1206
16-09-2010, 16:29
What encryption type are you using now and what were you using before?

A quick search suggests some PS3s only work with WEP which probably won't be the default on a new router as it is not secure and virtually obsolete.
My old router with Sky was on WPA-PSK. My new router on VM is WPA2-PSK. My Laptop connects no problem. Just cant seem to get the ITouch and PS3 to connect?? Both devices did connect with the Sky router??

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Probably a daft question but is the op actually using a wireless router ?, if so what make and model is it.

Only reason I say that is because there's no mention of a router in the post, and I wondered if the op was incorrectly assuming the modem was a wireless router.

Which is easy to do if they have never had cable before
It is a new Netgear Router which the Laptop connects to through WIFI. Not sure on the model number. Think it must be something to do with the security settings???

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

It is a Netgear CG2100D router.

kwikbreaks
16-09-2010, 18:20
So try setting the router to WPA-PSK then.....

geo1206
16-09-2010, 20:12
Sounds like a good idea but no idea how to do it???

Ben B
16-09-2010, 20:15
http://192.168.0.1 The username is admin and the password is changeme :)

Risco
16-09-2010, 23:36
The iPod and PS3 do not like complicated passwords, otherwise you either get slow speeds or it won't accept it due to length.

You should have one that is made up of something like HY32-2hdg-4fhs-73hf and then things will be fine.

geo1206
17-09-2010, 12:21
The iPod and PS3 do not like complicated passwords, otherwise you either get slow speeds or it won't accept it due to length.

You should have one that is made up of something like HY32-2hdg-4fhs-73hf and then things will be fine.
Thanks, Problem solved. ITouch now connected and running fine. Will try PS3 later!

Cheers!!!