PDA

View Full Version : very unhappy, can anyone help.

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 13:06
yesterday i had virgin installed to my house, i am using a wireless connection with opera as my browser ( but having same probs also on Chrome and firefox ) and eset is my Av, i never had this problem on BT so maybe it is just the settings somewhere, i am far from happy as my work is online and i am losing money because i cant work.

tried surfing tonight and i keep getting told " connection closed by remote server on pages
also my sons pc upstairs keeps dropping the connection, i am on the xl package...

Thanks for any help
WS

LondonRoad
15-09-2010, 13:09
Were you on a wireless connection before?

Have you tried using a wired connection for a while to see if the same problems persist.

If it is a wireless problem you could try changing the channel.

You could try this suggestion from Paul:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35089579-post2.html

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 13:11
Hiya, thanks for replying, yes i was on wireless with BT, wish i had stayed with then now, i never ever had this problem with them, but you live and learn dont you.

and yes i tried changing the channel

pip08456
15-09-2010, 13:12
Well you've given us a lot to work with-not!

To help a good start is to give us the following

Modem stats-U/stream, d/stream power levels and event logs
Package you are on, 10Mb,20Mb etc.

Have you tried just connected wired to the modem? (rules out a router problem)

To get the modem stats etc type 192.168.100.1 into you browser. If asked for a password etc both are "root".

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 14:39
hi i cant connect via wired as they never left me any so that kind of killed that one or i would have done it myself...

I am running xl broadband

where abouts are the modem stats?

and thanks;-)

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

is this what your after?

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 323000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256
Channel ID 40 Symbol Rate 5360537
Downstream Frequency 323000000 Hz Downstream Power 6.8 dBmV
SNR 45.8 dBmV
Upstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM16
Channel ID 6 Symbol Rate 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 47400000 Hz Upstream Power 49.2 dBmV
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 22695
Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 22432
Max Traffic Rate 768000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 0 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

arcimedes
15-09-2010, 15:24
Assuming one of yoor Pcs has an ethernet connection then all you need is an ethernet cable (not much money, or your workplace probably has one) to connect to the router or directly to the modem which would eliminate wireless problems.

I have always found that it does make life easier when solving comms problems.

pip08456
15-09-2010, 15:46
Your modem power levels are within operating perameters so it would appear (on the surface) to be a wireless problem.

You should've been supplied with an ethernet cable along with the modem. Until the router can be taken out of the equation any advice would be based on pure supposition.

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 15:49
Your modem power levels are within operating perameters so it would appear (on the surface) to be a wireless problem.

You should've been supplied with an ethernet cable along with the modem. Until the router can be taken out of the equation any advice would be based on pure supposition.

could it be my adapter, i am using a belkin. but was told by virgin they are fine.

pip08456
15-09-2010, 15:56
Until you have resolved if you are actually being supplied with 20Mb to the modem there's not a lot can be done. That must be done with a wired connection from PC/Laptop to the modem.

Your power levels look perfectly OK and as I said above it would appear to be a wireless problem. A Belkin router should be OK. Your Belkin will also have been supplied with an ethernet cable so one presumes you do have at least one somewhere.

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 16:05
Until you have resolved if you are actually being supplied with 20Mb to the modem there's not a lot can be done. That must be done with a wired connection from PC/Laptop to the modem.

Your power levels look perfectly OK and as I said above it would appear to be a wireless problem. A Belkin router should be OK. Your Belkin will also have been supplied with an ethernet cable so one presumes you do have at least one somewhere.

ok, well i will look, but i am sure i dont have one, what do i do if i find one...?

and thanks for your help i appreciate it :)

arcimedes
15-09-2010, 16:14
If you find a cable plug one end into the modem and the other into the PC. You will need to power cycle the modem so that it picks up the PC's MAC address.

wolfspirit
15-09-2010, 16:25
If you find a cable plug one end into the modem and the other into the PC. You will need to power cycle the modem so that it picks up the PC's MAC address.

i am wondering now if it is a problem with settings on my browsers as some of the pages dont load properly either,

I have my speed up now to 40mbps so that is much better than what it was, but still i am getting this problem with connections being closed, this is in all 3 of my servers opera/google & firefox...

checked my av and ran the pages without and it still did the same thing...so ruled out that one..

Noah Donna
15-09-2010, 17:11
get a Enet Cable say its 5pm or 8pm go to B AND Q you be better of getting a Gold Enet Cable better quality Belkin Gold Enet Cable Will be Cool if not to Fussed Just get one From Asda About under £5 Good Luck Mate..

pip08456
15-09-2010, 17:18
How can you be getting 40Mb/s when you only have a 20Mb/s connection?

Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps

wolfspirit
17-09-2010, 12:08
ok, so this is where i am, virgin engineer came out today, did some changes and stuff, would not connect the ethernet or whatever so i still have to go this route, but he said i dont need to as it is a new netgear plug n play router,

the error that is causing my problems is this

err 118 net.err.connection timed out

does anyone know the fix to this cos the only other option virgin gave me was to pay them £60 to fix my pcs...lol..

its driving me mad