PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Harlow CM20
15-09-2010, 11:30
Should I stay or should I go?

Have tried on numerous occasions to get my upstream to remain stable and reliable, many calls to support, many technician visits and to little avail.

After these attempts I thought, "well, they've obviously done their best to help" but problems remain.

I thought this may of been just the way the 10mb works in my area, so thought I'd try an upgrade to 50Mb to see if things improved, have heard that it runs on a different network or something like that.

But when I called VM twice and spoke to two different CSRs.....

Low and behold, Virginmedia customer service reps tell me lies about installation charges and activation fees, I argue the fees with evidence provided that they say it's free but this would not be honoured.

Couldn't get through to retentions and couldn't get a call back either when given the choice to have one.

I want to stay and try out this faster BB service but I feel as though I'm being treated extremely unfairly as a so called loyal customer of 16-18 years.

I ask that a VM staff member here can put things right for me before my contract expires.

pip08456
15-09-2010, 11:42
Bite the bullet and ring retentions again and hold on until they answer. Tell them due to the problems you have been having you are thinking of going for this package.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017

Tell them you would stay if they can offer a similar deal and barter with them.

kwikbreaks
15-09-2010, 11:52
I've tried for free install on 50Mbps when upgrading (in my case from 20Mbps) and they won't have it. I think the "free install" offers you have seen are for new installations. There are people saying they've received emails offering free install and activation but unlike me they all have TV packages too. If you have a link to a free install for upgrades please post it.

I'm no cable expert but I thought instability issues were local and caused by problems with your cabling (if this isn't so please shout). SFAIK there is no cabling change for the upgrade although you may get a connection change at the cabinet I really don't know.

If this were me and I didn't 100% need the upgrade I'd be pushing to get the problem fixed and calling retentions about that failure rather than giving them some BS about moving to BT when that product may well not even be available to you - at least check if it is before calling to avoid embarrassment because my betting is that VM will know for sure as Infinity is a real competitor - especially in the upstream stakes which VM are now scrabbling around to try and sort out.

pip08456
15-09-2010, 11:58
I've tried for free install on 50Mbps when upgrading (in my case from 20Mbps) and they won't have it. I think the "free install" offers you have seen are for new installations. There are people saying they've received emails offering free install and activation but unlike me they all have TV packages too. If you have a link to a free install for upgrades please post it.

I'm no cable expert but I thought instability issues were local and caused by problems with your cabling (if this isn't soi please shout). SFAIK there is no cabling change for the upgrade although you may get a connection change at the cabinet I really don't know.

If this were me and I didn't 100% need the upgrade I'd be pushing to get the problem fixed and calling retentions about that failure rather than giving them some BS about moving to BT when that product may well not even be available to you - at least check if it is before calling to avoid embarrassment because my betting is that VM will know for sure as Infinity is a real competitor - especially in the upstream stakes which VM are now scrabbling around to try and sort out.

Hence the link where he can check if it's available.

There is also the route of taking the problems to the CEO's office to seek a resolution. neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Lord Nikon
15-09-2010, 11:59
The modem used for 50mbit is actually 4 modems in one, and is a lot more stringent on the power levels so it requires an engineer visit to balance the power level into the modem.

They also check and verify you are getting 50mbit before they leave.

Harlow CM20
15-09-2010, 12:02
If you have a link to a free install for upgrades please post it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

If this isn't available for existing customers then I really have little reason to be faithful to a company that treat existing customers like second rate whatever

pip08456
15-09-2010, 12:07
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

If this isn't available for existing customers then I really have little reason to be faithful to a company that treat existing customers like second rate whatever

Couldn't agree with you more!

Harlow CM20
20-09-2010, 13:09
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/add-broadband-to-your-package.html

The previous link I posted is for new customers only, here's the link for existing.

Did I get offered free installation? No, no I did not!!!

Did retentions finally call me back after I waited patiently for a week? No, no they did not!!!

Did anyone on this forum who is in contact or works for VM try to do anything to rectify the problems regarding this 50Mb upgrade? No, seems apparant that they did not!!!

Will I make ONE last attempt to remain a customer of VirginMedia? Yes, but only ONE!!!

pip08456
20-09-2010, 14:52
Why would retentions ring you back? You either do the deal to remain a VM customer there and then or off you go elsewhere.

Why should anyone on this independantforum do anything? If posters work for VM they give their time freely.

philce
20-09-2010, 15:10
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/add-broadband-to-your-package.html

The previous link I posted is for new customers only, here's the link for existing.

Did I get offered free installation? No, no I did not!!!

Did retentions finally call me back after I waited patiently for a week? No, no they did not!!!

Did anyone on this forum who is in contact or works for VM try to do anything to rectify the problems regarding this 50Mb upgrade? No, seems apparant that they did not!!!

Will I make ONE last attempt to remain a customer of VirginMedia? Yes, but only ONE!!!

The link you provide states that you get free installation if you ADD broadband. You already have broadband so no free upgrade.

Id email the CEO's office, you will get a callback within a day and they do have more clout than the normal CS reps.

Failing that, cancel, then reapply for 50Mb as a new customer?

As other posters have said, if you have problems with 20Mb then its very likely that the problems will remain on 50Mb, have you tried to run the Thinkbroadband ping tests that show how the line is working? It will prove if its the network at fault? (assuming that the various tech visits have checked the connection and modem?)

pip08456
20-09-2010, 17:04
If he cancels then there is a 3 month wait before he can re-apply

jb66
20-09-2010, 20:58
50meg is on a diferent platform, it uses different frequencies and is less congested

Harlow CM20
21-09-2010, 11:37
Why would retentions ring you back?

Because whilst I was on hold waiting for retentions to answer I was given 2 options.

Press 1. to continue holding.
Press 2. and we'll ring you back.

Anyway, this is done and dusted now. I won't be getting the 50Mb product because of too many dishonest actions!

Thanks for any help or suggestions that were made in the attempt to try to keep me as a customer.

pip08456
21-09-2010, 11:45
Hope you find your new ISP to your satisfaction.

jb66
21-09-2010, 12:43
LOL, so you've stamped your feet and never got waht you wanted, so where are you moving to? Sky?

Harlow CM20
22-09-2010, 11:37
Hope you find your new ISP to your satisfaction.

My contract isn't up for a while yet and if the upstream issues stay away then I'll be staying. I just won't be getting the 50 Mb out of sheer principle now, unless it's free as an apology.

I'll just wait patiently until the upstream upgrades roll out, I only wanted the 50mb because of an increased upload, 10Mb download is a speed I am happy with already but is crippled by it's measly 512Kbs upload.

kwikbreaks
22-09-2010, 11:50
The link you provide states that you get free installation if you ADD broadband. You already have broadband so no free upgrade.

He posted the wrong link. You can now get a free install (but still pay the £20 magical mystery fee) - http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

I'm not sure if this was in place on the three occasions I tried and failed to get a free install on that upgrade recently. It wouldn't surprise me if it were as considering VM is a communications company its internal communications appear to be poor with CS frequently unsure or unaware what the current marketing offers are judging by posts I've seen here and elsewhere.

I may upgrade to 50Mbps on the basis of that offer when I get back from holiday but I'll probably wait now until the 50Mbps hub arrives (my routing needs are simple and dropping a box will make things tidier).