PDA

View Full Version : I need help moving Broadband from one room to another

lee1977
14-09-2010, 11:19
Hi,

I would like to move my modem from an upstairs bedroom to the living room downstairs as my wife is due to give birth next month and I need the room to be used as a nursery.

I would like to have the modem and router moved to behind the TV in the Living room alongside the Set top box. The brown cable box is located on the otherside of the living room wall, I looked inside the brown box and found a splitter that has the broadband going upstairs and the TV going into the Living room.

Can I unscrew the broadband cable that is going up the outside wall into the bedroom and just screw in a new cable that goes into the living room for the broadband?

What is the white box on the inside of the bedroom wall upstairs for? Is it an isolator? If i disconnect it from the outside wall will I have problems?

What Cable would do the job?

I would ask Virgin to do this but I have heard it is £99 to do this and I thought it might be a simple task that I could do.

Thanks in advance.

Kymmy
14-09-2010, 11:22
Welcome to the forum

Not so simple, removing adding splitters and/or changing the lengths of the cables will mean altering your signal levels.. You could end up with a non-working set-up as well as breaking your accounts Terms&Conditions

Could you not just leave the modem where it is (hide it in a cupboard or something and extend the ethernet to your PC/router with either ethernet or Homeplugs???

lee1977
14-09-2010, 11:34
Hi,

But if the splitter is already there in the box I wont need to add one. If it doesnt work I would just reconnect the broadband upstairs.

The missus would prefer not to have the router and modem anywhere near the baby, I cant realistically extend the ethernet cable without drilling through walls and ceillings. The wiring in my house is a bit eccentric im not convinced homeplugs would work anyway.

I understand about the terms and conditions, im just trying to save a few quid, if i have to i will ask Virgin.

jb66
14-09-2010, 11:38
Lee, you are correct, no matter where the splitter is, either in the omni or behind the box, the signal still goes through one splitter so it will be the same. You would need a barrel though to join the two f connectors in the brwn omni and 2 small pieces of rg6 cable for after the splitter behind your tv. The white box upstairs is an isolator but again if you move the modem downstairs it will use the isolator the stb is using

lee1977
14-09-2010, 11:45
Excellent thanks, I will have another look but I dont recall seeing a white box near the stb.

If I got another splitter on the inside of the house and put one into the stb and another into the modem that wouldnt work would it?

jb66
14-09-2010, 11:51
If you get another splitter your signal will be reduced by 4db and your unterminated wire will cause noise on the network, what I'm suggesting Is you move the splitter from the brown omni box to behind the tv and where the splitter was in the omni put a barrel in.

Your isolator for your stb should be where it enters your living room

lee1977
14-09-2010, 11:53
I see thanks. I will pick some cable and a Barrell up on ebay.

Thanks again.

lee1977
16-09-2010, 11:32
I definately dont have an isolator downstairs, will I have problems. Does the isolator just protect me from power surges etc.

I have lived without one next to the STB for 5 years should I worry about it?

lee1977
16-09-2010, 13:44
Is it possible to move the isolator from the upstairs White box to the Virgin box on the outside of the wall and then add the splitter after that?

jb66
16-09-2010, 16:36
If your 100% sure you don't have an iso you could call faults to get one fitted then ask the service tech to leave you a little piece of cable for your modem relocate

lee1977
16-09-2010, 16:47
I looked again in the box on the outside wall, all that is in there is a splitter. Could that be an isolator as well as a splitter?

grim reaper
16-09-2010, 19:35
I looked again in the box on the outside wall, all that is in there is a splitter. Could that be an isolator as well as a splitter?

yes ... thats the set up i have

have a look at it, it will say isolator/splitter on the label if it is one .... it will look similar to this >>

http://mediacables.co.uk/shop/images/vq302hpf.jpg

lee1977
17-09-2010, 08:37
No there is no mention of the word isolator, just 2 way splitter. If I haven't had an Isolator downstairs for 5 years do I really need one. I presume there is one upstairs is it ok to just move that one to where the downstairs splitter is now?

jb66
17-09-2010, 09:21
You could use the isolator upstairs as a barrel in the brown box and the splitter as before

lee1977
17-09-2010, 09:47
Sorry Im a bit new to this. When you said a barrell I thought you meant one of these http://satandcable.com/content/f-f-female-barrel-connector

So I could move the isolator from upstairs to act as a Barrell and then use the splitter behind the TV for the STB and the Modem?

jb66
17-09-2010, 10:00
Yeah, consider the isolator as a big barrel

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/56.jpg

lee1977
17-09-2010, 10:16
Excellent thanks for all your help I will give it a go tomorrow.

pabscars
17-09-2010, 10:46
Yeah, consider the isolator as a big barrel

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/56.jpg

I just wanted to clarify something, does it matter which side of the splitter you come off for TV and BB, only on some splitter's they have 3.6 db on one side and 4 db on the other, so I wondered which should go to the V+ box etc

jb66
17-09-2010, 11:13
I just wanted to clarify something, does it matter which side of the splitter you come off for TV and BB, only on some splitter's they have 3.6 db on one side and 4 db on the other, so I wondered which should go to the V+ box etc

One side looses 3.6db the other 4db, but its so little it makes no difference

pabscars
17-09-2010, 11:34
Cheers jb

grim reaper
17-09-2010, 16:25
Sorry Im a bit new to this. When you said a barrell I thought you meant one of these http://satandcable.com/content/f-f-female-barrel-connector

So I could move the isolator from upstairs to act as a Barrell and then use the splitter behind the TV for the STB and the Modem?

yes.

instead of using a barrel connector (your link is correct) use the isolator from upstairs and move the splitter to behind the tv (or wherever else you want to split the cable