PDA

View Full Version : Cable without Install?

leemcg
14-09-2010, 10:50
Hello

I think it very possible that I might join Virgin Media in the future. I do have some bad customer service experience from the past, but they can't be that bad still can they. If the TiVo implementation is any good, that might be enough on its own. But I'm not ready to install now, for sure.

However, I am about to have my front driveway relaid and it would the ideal opportunity to get the relevant cables into my house without having everything in ugly trunking on the surface (not acceptable to her indoors).

Has anyone been successful in getting the relevant cables laid without actually subscribing to a service. I am happy to pay (and would even pay an independent contractor, like I did for Sky, but I don't think that's an option).

I did phone the new-customer phone line, and met a bit of a block: "we can only book an install if you order a service". Is there a more useful group to speak to?

It's definitely the case that once the driveway is relaid, then Virgin will have to stay out of my house indefinitely.

As an aside, the service needs to terminate in my Node 0 cupboard in the centre of my house. Would Virgin usually be happy to lay their cables all the way to a useful place - through a crawl space under the house in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Lee

Kymmy
14-09-2010, 10:54
Welcome to the forum.

You can't get the cables installed without the services, but the best option is to lay trunking under the driveway so that VM can use it later on if you do need services ;)

If when you lay it you include a pull through line so another cable can be attached and pulled through it'll make VM's job even quicker

jungleguy
14-09-2010, 11:14
Hi Lee

It is possible, you just need the right contacts and a bit of luck. Try filling out a spotters form
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/register/spotters-form.do
the spotter should know the pulling crew, and seeming that pulling the cable now will be easier than after the re surfacin, I'm sure they'd oblige.

If that fails, put a rigid duct in from swept T to you property and rope it.

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

As an aside, the service needs to terminate in my Node 0 cupboard in the centre of my house. Would Virgin usually be happy to lay their cables all the way to a useful place - through a crawl space under the house in this case?

probably not, crews get paid per job, what you want sounds time consuming.

jb66
14-09-2010, 11:18
Installers will do anything to save time, it sounds easier to go under a crawl space than along skirting, if it's easy, it will happen

Kymmy
14-09-2010, 11:19
probably not, crews get paid per job, what you want sounds time consuming.

He could though if installing ducting do a 2nd section from the outside to under the crawlspace to the area he wants..

Nothing a VM engineer likes better than an already planned out job with easy cable runs :D

leemcg
14-09-2010, 11:25
Thanks for the very quick responses. I've filled in a spotters form, but it definitely sounds like the best plan is to get some trunking laid, just in case.

jungleguy
14-09-2010, 11:29
Your forgetting that if a room has no windows its deemed a 'confined working environment' and for health and safety reasons they won't go in.

I am joking about that, so please take that with a pinch of salt.

Dai
14-09-2010, 11:41
Thanks for the very quick responses. I've filled in a spotters form, but it definitely sounds like the best plan is to get some trunking laid, just in case.

I did this under my yard. Laid trunking under the flagstones in advance with a nylon string for the pull-through. The installers were well pleased and quite happy to use my setup.