PDA

View Full Version : Got 50mb yesterday, not getting near that and lots of packet loss

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 02:35
Hey there,

I moved from 20mb Sky Broadband to Virgin 50mb today, and I have not only not been getting anywhere near that (max so far was around 10mb), but i'm getting quite a lot of packet loss in general.

Here are my stats if they can offer any help:

Downstream Channel
Lock Status Locked
Modulation QAM64
Channel ID74
Symbol Rate 5056941
Downstream Frequency 443000000 Hz
Downstream Power 4.2 dBmV
SNR39.4 dBmV

Upstream Channel
Lock Status Locked
Modulation QAM16
Channel ID7
Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 45800000 Hz
Upstream Power 41.9 dBmV

I am connecting wirelessly, but the adapter is a top of the range wireless N one, and i've never experienced such packet loss with Sky.

Any ideas what it may be, and how to fix it?

|Kippa|
13-09-2010, 03:24
Just a general suggestion, I'd try connecting direct to the cable modem on the computer just to see if it is the wireless that is the issue. If you still get the same speeds connected direct to the cable modem then at least you could rule out the wireless connection to be the main issue.

Chrysalis
13-09-2010, 03:26
just a single QAM64 channel for downstream? shouldnt it be at least 3 QAM256 channels.

Peter_
13-09-2010, 06:29
Are you sure that you are on 50Mb as that looks like either 10Mb or 20Mb modem to me.

What does the config file of your modem say this is my 20Mb one.

Click here to find out http://192.168.100.1/

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000

Harlow CM20
13-09-2010, 10:59
Masque, do you know the number for retentions or cancellations please?

Have been trying to get 50Mb but the agents I speak to are offering terrible deals for me, an extra £23 on top of what I pay for 10Mb and an installation fee of £40 which the two different CSRs I spoke to offered me aswell as an activation charge of £20.

Both were unwilling to budge on this price and when I asked to be put through to retentions I got absolutely nowhere.

I want this service but I'm not willing to pay dishonest prices when I've been a loyal customer since the day the cables were laid.

I even told them (the CSRs) that according to their website (Virginmedia) there should be no charge for installation and activation, then I asked if this fee could be waived, then I said good bye

pip08456
13-09-2010, 11:20
Ring 150 and select option2 thinking of leaving us.

RobboEdin
13-09-2010, 11:20
Masque, do you know the number for retentions or cancellations please?

Have been trying to get 50Mb but the agents I speak to are offering terrible deals for me, an extra £23 on top of what I pay for 10Mb and an installation fee of £40 which the two different CSRs I spoke to offered me aswell as an activation charge of £20.

Both were unwilling to budge on this price and when I asked to be put through to retentions I got absolutely nowhere.

I want this service but I'm not willing to pay dishonest prices when I've been a loyal customer since the day the cables were laid.

I even told them (the CSRs) that according to their website (Virginmedia) there should be no charge for installation and activation, then I asked if this fee could be waived, then I said good bye

Which 10Mb product are you on? M or L.

If M, it could be as much as £24.50 extra per month to upgrade to 50Mb.

If L, then up to £20 extra could be possible but it should not be as much as £23.

PS Installation is currently free but you will have to pay activation:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 11:32
Thanks for the posts so far guys. Yes, im 100% sure that I purchased the 50mb broadband, which makes it even stranger that i'm getting sure poor connection speeds and such ridiculessly high packet loss. Since i'm not sure where the config for it is, heres some more stats which will hopefully help out:

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0) SFID4780
Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0) SFID4617
Max Traffic Rate 768000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

Standard Specification Compliant EU DOCSIS 2.0
Hardware Version 1.05
Software Version V4.4.4R05
Serial Number 2CS207U402639
CM certificate Installed

Also, the modem is a Netgear Wireless N Cable gateway VMDEZ80. I also decided to do a trace of 300 odd cycles to see the results, and it kept getting random packet loss all over the place, seemingly spontatinously throughout with highest being 12.5% on different ones, and the results ending up like:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5295/pingvd.png

Peter_
13-09-2010, 11:36
Thanks for the posts so far guys. Yes, im 100% sure that I purchased the 50mb broadband,

Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps

Max Traffic Rate 768000 bps

The above is a 20Mb config file so you are not on 50Mb.

Also, the modem is a Netgear Wireless N Cable gateway VMDEZ80.

The above modem is only for 10Mb and 20Mb.

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 11:41
Well, im paying for 50mb, so the question is why the heck did they give me the 20mb package -.-

Would you say having to 20mb is also the reason why i'm experiencing packet loss, or do you think thats a seperate issue entirely?

Peter_
13-09-2010, 11:42
Well, im paying for 50mb, so the question is why the heck did they give me the 20mb package -.-

Would you say having to 20mb is also the reason why i'm experiencing packet loss, or do you think thats a seperate issue entirely?
Probably a separate issue and you are on 20Mb.

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 11:43
Righto, thanks for your help. Since i'm now going to have to sort out the 20mb 50mb issue, is there any advice you can help me with to fix to packet loss issue? If you could, i'd really appreciate it!

Peter_
13-09-2010, 11:49
Righto, thanks for your help. Since i'm now going to have to sort out the 20mb 50mb issue, is there any advice you can help me with to fix to packet loss issue? If you could, i'd really appreciate it!
I would get your package sorted out first as you believe you should be on 50Mb.

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 12:01
Well, i'm currently still living with the parents and I helped them decide what to purchase Virgin Media wise, and I even offered to pay the money entirely for the broadband. What I think has happened as they tried to pull a fast one and convince me they had purchased 50, when it fact they went for 20, assuming I wouldn't find out (which was a stupid asumption on their part) lol

So while I now get it upgraded from 20 to 50, I might as well spend the time sorting out the packet loss issue so I have something to do lol (especially considering Halo Reach is out tonight)

Peter_
13-09-2010, 12:09
Well, i'm currently still living with the parents and I helped them decide what to purchase Virgin Media wise, and I even offered to pay the money entirely for the broadband. What I think has happened as they tried to pull a fast one and convince me they had purchased 50, when it fact they went for 20, assuming I wouldn't find out (which was a stupid asumption on their part) lol

So while I now get it upgraded from 20 to 50, I might as well spend the time sorting out the packet loss issue so I have something to do lol (especially considering Halo Reach is out tonight)
If you upgrade you will require a new modem and a stand alone router which is all part of the package.

Sephiroth
13-09-2010, 12:13
Regarding the packet loss, these ICMP packets are discardable and will be discarded at busy nodes. The real test is to run PATHPING www.bbc.co.uk

This takes a few minutes to run (and it looks like it's hung when it hasn't). It will show packets discarded at the addressed hop and the packet loss (if any) for packets passing through to an addressed hop further along. It's that last piece of data that tells you if there is real packet loss. PING, TRACERT and the like are limited in their diagnostic value.

So, what's going wrong with your internet experience?

RobboEdin
13-09-2010, 12:32

So it's mum and dad's account and you've no idea really what they have ordered.

Try getting your mum or dad to log on to My Virgin Media or look at their bill to find out what they are paying for.

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 12:49

Try getting your mum or dad to log on to My Virgin Media or look at their bill to find out what they are paying for.Yeah, when taking out the virgin package I explained benefits of 50mb over 20mb, especially since we were going from ADSL to Cable, so sky 20mb wouldn't be the same as virgin. They told me they had got the 50mb just assuming I wouldn't know the difference so just lied to me, which would have saved me a lot of hastle if they hadn't. But oh wells, thats parents for you!

Regarding the ping test above, this is what I got (blanked out my ip):

Download Failed (1)
What do we think?

Peter_
13-09-2010, 12:51

Try getting your mum or dad to log on to My Virgin Media or look at their bill to find out what they are paying for.
No need the config and modem both say 20Mb.;)

Harlow CM20
13-09-2010, 13:47
Ring 150 and select option2 thinking of leaving us.

Thanks pip, tried that but after being on hold for so long I didn't really think they valued my custom so I gave up. Also 1st CSR I spoke to said she'd put me through to retentions but again after an unbareable wait I had to hang up.

Which 10Mb product are you on? M or L.

If M, it could be as much as £24.50 extra per month to upgrade to 50Mb.

If L, then up to £20 extra could be possible but it should not be as much as £23.

PS Installation is currently free but you will have to pay activation:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

I'm on large 10Mb and I'm aware that there shouldn't be an installation charge but the Virginmedia CSRs that answer the calls when you dial 150 from your Virginmedia landline don't seem to know, even though I told them that it's free on the website.

If there's a VM staff member that I can safely PM my details to in order for them to give me a call back then I'm still willing to think about the 50Mb offering, I certainly won't be ringing them again regarding this shameful matter :(

Sephiroth
13-09-2010, 15:02
Yeah, when taking out the virgin package I explained benefits of 50mb over 20mb, especially since we were going from ADSL to Cable, so sky 20mb wouldn't be the same as virgin. They told me they had got the 50mb just assuming I wouldn't know the difference so just lied to me, which would have saved me a lot of hastle if they hadn't. But oh wells, thats parents for you!

Regarding the ping test above, this is what I got (blanked out my ip):

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8711/ping2u.png
What do we think?

The pathping shows a good result. Looking at the second line of each hop, you get 0/100 = 0%.

The trace does show packet loss at various nodes (packets addressed to those nodes), but that is the normal discard at a busy node or even as a matter of policy set at the node.

So, as I asked before, what happening to your internet experience? Anything bad?

Harlow CM20
13-09-2010, 15:08
Thanks pip, tried that but after being on hold for so long I didn't really think they valued my custom so I gave up. Also 1st CSR I spoke to said she'd put me through to retentions but again after an unbareable wait I had to hang up.

I'm on large 10Mb and I'm aware that there shouldn't be an installation charge but the Virginmedia CSRs that answer the calls when you dial 150 from your Virginmedia landline don't seem to know, even though I told them that it's free on the website.

If there's a VM staff member that I can safely PM my details to in order for them to give me a call back then I'm still willing to think about the 50Mb offering, I certainly won't be ringing them again regarding this shameful matter :(

Chrysalis
13-09-2010, 16:20
forget the packet loss for now, as 50mbit will put you on a different network anyway.

Tooooon
13-09-2010, 16:28
forget the packet loss for now, as 50mbit will put you on a different network anyway.
Righto, will do.

Regarding how it was affecting the internet, only impact really was gaming where I would get put into spectator mode because my packet loss was too great with my S2C being between 1% to max of around 10% where the game allows for 2%.

Hopefully when the internet goes to 50mb the issue shall be sorted. Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for bearing with my short sightedness in assuming I have 50mb when I apparently had 20 (and also thanks for giving me to the info to find this out as well)

~David

Sephiroth
13-09-2010, 18:20
20 meg/50 meg - I don't think the latency will change. The Pathping/Tracert results are unrelated to the network tier. In any case, most 20 meg users are on the same network as 50 meg.

Tell us more about your server-to-client packet loss running up to 10%. This is data coming towards you if I've correctly understood S2C. How is packet loss calculated? So far as I know, what really happens in games is that network congestion produces latency and the packet, if it arrives, arrives late (or is discarded because it is sent under UDP protocol).

Is anything else happening in your router at the same time - like other people downloading? Do you live in a densley populated area?

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

:LOL:I think Chrysalis found a QPSK channel on the overlay network!

Chrysalis
14-09-2010, 18:12
seph no I didnt, but I did notice the OP was on QAM16 not QPSK hence withdrawn post.

caph
14-09-2010, 20:39
I'm on QPSK on the overlay network. I can't say it's very exciting really.

I think we should probably start talking about the overlay network as the network and the DOCSIS1 network as the underlay network now. It's been a while now after all.

Sephiroth
14-09-2010, 21:10
seph no I didnt, but I did notice the OP was on QAM16 not QPSK hence withdrawn post.

Fair enough, Chrys. But I did find a QPSK channel on the overlay network in a 50 meg thread.

On a side note, I've ordered a 50 meg upgrade. I'm so full of 20 meg stats that it should be fair game to know my a from my e when comparing performance.

The upgrade goes hand in hand with my move from O2 ADSL2+ at 1.5 Mbps to BT Infinity at, I guess around 35 Mbps (250 m from the FTTC cabinet).

So you'll all have proper comparisons.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

I'm on QPSK on the overlay network. I can't say it's very exciting really.

I think we should probably start talking about the overlay network as the network and the DOCSIS1 network as the underlay network now. It's been a while now after all.
At 3.2 Mhz (DOCSIS 1.x) the QPSK 2bits/symbol gives a maximum upstream channel of 6.4 Mbits/sec. That's above the 10:1 that's coming in due course. They'll do this with DOCSIS 2 (6.4 MHz) so as not do reduce the channel handling capacity after resegmentation.

Then it's just a case of your SNR being good enough to hack it.

Chrysalis
15-09-2010, 17:21
its 4.5mbit of useable bandwidth tho on QPSK. :)

Also remember its shared bandwidth, you dont have the channel to yourself. I dont think even VM are silly enough to try and rollout 5mbit speeds on docsis1 QPSK channels.

--edit--

If I try to understand what you saying and may have completely misunderstood you so far, are you saying the modulation only has an affect on the user to UBR bandwidth and not the port capacity? If that was correct than I would fail to see why VM have even been using QAM16 so far since that has stricter snr requirements and QPSK is enough for end user speed needs.

Sephiroth
15-09-2010, 20:46
its 4.5mbit of useable bandwidth tho on QPSK. :)

Also remember its shared bandwidth, you dont have the channel to yourself. I dont think even VM are silly enough to try and rollout 5mbit speeds on docsis1 QPSK channels.

--edit--

If I try to understand what you saying and may have completely misunderstood you so far, are you saying the modulation only has an affect on the user to UBR bandwidth and not the port capacity? If that was correct than I would fail to see why VM have even been using QAM16 so far since that has stricter snr requirements and QPSK is enough for end user speed needs.

It was kind of you to come back with the second thoughts. I was referring to raw upstream capacity. How VM then regulate it in terms of Msyms/sec is another matter and is configurable AFAIK. So yes to your question.

16QAM carries double the payload of QPSK at the same symbol rate. So 16QAM is used but is pulled back to QPSK "on-the-fly" if the CMTS sees bad SNR on some threshold basis set in the CMTS.

pip08456
15-09-2010, 22:32
On a side note, I've ordered a 50 meg upgrade. I'm so full of 20 meg stats that it should be fair game to know my a from my e when comparing performance.

Dipped your toe in then? Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Sephiroth
15-09-2010, 23:06
Dipped your toe in then? Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I wouldn't have if BT's FTTC wasn't coming to RG41!

I'm doing it for you lot.:Sun:

pip08456
15-09-2010, 23:09
I wouldn't have if BT's FTTC wasn't coming to RG41!

I'm doing it for you lot.:Sun:

Such a hero Seph :D:D:D:D:D:D I've been on 50Mb for a while now and luckily haven't suffered any major issues, pretty much rock solid.

PS

Don't you mean if BT's FTTC WAS coming to RG41?

Sephiroth
16-09-2010, 00:14
BT's FTTC IS coming to RG41 this month.

I'm ordering it. So if my 50 meg service goes south, apart from the fun I'll have on the forums, I ought to have a decent DSL service to hand. Remember I have both cable and DSL.

pip08456
16-09-2010, 00:38
Ooops, forgot about that!!!

No doubt you will oversee the 50Mb install and you shouldn't have any problems (fingers crossed).

I think I've just decyphered your other post. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If BT's FTTC wasn't coming to your area then you would not have upgraded to VM's 50Mb service.

But it is, so you have.

Is that correct????

Sephiroth
16-09-2010, 00:46
Ooops, forgot about that!!!

No doubt you will oversee the 50Mb install and you shouldn't have any problems (fingers crossed).

I think I've just decyphered your other post. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If BT's FTTC wasn't coming to your area then you would not have upgraded to VM's 50Mb service.

But it is, so you have.

Is that correct????

Nearly. If BT's FTTC wasn't coming to your area then you would not be upgrading to VM's 50Mb service.

But it is, so you are. (They can't fit me in till early October).

pip08456
16-09-2010, 01:21
There's always a catch isn't there.