PDA

View Full Version : Broadband M and USB adaptor

Badders
12-09-2010, 20:13
Hi,

A mate has asked my to setup a wireless router for him, which is no problem to me, but his current connection into his PC upstairs is via a grey USB adaptor. It has an Ethernet cable in and USB out and has the usual couple of green flashing lights. He also has VM TV downstairs.

My question is this:

Should I be able to connect the ethernet cable directly into the ethernet socket on his pc?

I tried this when I was there last and got no broadband. Is this because of the change of MAC?

Also, would this cable be coming from his set-top box?

I know he's had his VM broadband connection for some time so might not have a modem. Does VM still install USB adapters or were they replaced completely with modems?

TIA,
Badders

Sephiroth
12-09-2010, 22:21
Your description isn't completely clear to me.

Is the USB coming out of the cable modem and into his PC? Then is the ethernet coming out of the cable modem and into a router? Or is that something you want to do (ethernet to router)?

Or is there no cable modem - just a set top box? If so, get onto VM and get a cable modem sent out with an engineer to split the signal at the wall and put in the cable modem.

Then you go ethernet from cable modem to router; ethernet from router to PC. In default state, it would all work. Then you can set up the wireless.

There's nothing you can do to set things up via the set top box.

Hope that helps.

Badders
12-09-2010, 23:59
Thanks Seph.

So VM wouldn't charge to install a cable modem even on Broadband M?

Peter_
13-09-2010, 07:24
Thanks Seph.

So VM wouldn't charge to install a cable modem even on Broadband M?
How does he presently get his broadband is it through a Set Top Box if so he will be able to get it swapped to a Standalone Cable Modem for free as Virginmedia do not charge for the equipment.

He will have to upgrade to a Ethernet connection as they no longer support connections using USB ports.

Kymmy
13-09-2010, 09:41
If you reread the OP he's talking about a USB to Ethernet adaptor (something I think like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ethernet-Adapter-Patch-Cable/dp/B0002AFKN0))

@Badders, You need to ask yourself why use the USB adaptor? Is the built in ethernet bust or not configured..

Before swapping over the cables trace it down stairs and see what it plugs into (no point in guessing) if the STB then do as the others suggest, if a router then it should work right off, if a cable modem then the modem will need to be rebooted after you swapped round the cable and then reboot the PC (either way make sure you remove the USB adaptor so it doesn't interfere with the IP)

Peter_
13-09-2010, 09:50
If you reread the OP he's talking about a USB to Ethernet adaptor (something I think like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ethernet-Adapter-Patch-Cable/dp/B0002AFKN0))

@Badders, You need to ask yourself why use the USB adaptor? Is the built in ethernet bust or not configured..

Before swapping over the cables trace it down stairs and see what it plugs into (no point in guessing) if the STB then do as the others suggest, if a router then it should work right off, if a cable modem then the modem will need to be rebooted after you swapped round the cable and then reboot the PC (either way make sure you remove the USB adaptor so it doesn't interfere with the IP)
I know what he is talking about as NTL used to supply them but have not for many years and they are no longer supported by us either.

Kymmy
13-09-2010, 10:08
VM getting their underwear twisted again.. His connection is via ethernet ;) Just that his ethernet adaptor is USB based...

I'd love to have them go down the argument as to the difference between an ethernet that is onboard, PCMCIA, USB, PCCARD, PCI, PCI-e... ;)

Peter_
13-09-2010, 10:12
VM getting their underwear twisted again.. His connection is via ethernet ;) Just that his ethernet adaptor is USB based...

I'd love to have them go down the argument as to the difference between an ethernet that is onboard, PCMCIA, USB, PCCARD, PCI, PCI-e... ;)
I know the adaptor and have seen one before but well before I worked here and that one had failed and we fitted a NIC and it worked first time.:D

Kymmy
13-09-2010, 10:21
And I've had probably over a 1000 NICs go through the workshops.. They fail as well

My point (which you seemed to sidestep) was that VM is arguing they only support ethernet, then they're arguing that they don;t support all ethernets.. even though their website states

The best way to connect broadband is via an Ethernet Port. If you don't have an Ethernet Port then don't worry we can use a USB port (what you use when you plug in your iPod or digital camera) if you have a spare one! Our installer will have everything to get you up and running.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Peter_
13-09-2010, 10:35
And I've had probably over a 1000 NICs go through the workshops.. They fail as well

My point (which you seemed to sidestep) was that VM is arguing they only support ethernet, then they're arguing that they don;t support all ethernets.. even though their website states

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It is not me making the rules as you well know as to what is and is not supported under our support scope.:D

Badders
13-09-2010, 10:40
I guess the onus is on me to find out where the cable plugs into. I just have a feeling that its a very early installation and still has the NTL supplied USB adaptor from the STB.
It's probably best for him to get a cable modem installed anyway as his current configuration isn't supported and VM will do it FOC.
Can I confirm installing the modem won't affect his current contract length?
Oh, and thanks for all your comments:) much appreciated.

Peter_
13-09-2010, 10:41
I guess the onus is on me to find out where the cable plugs into. I just have a feeling that its a very early installation and still has the NTL supplied USB adaptor from the STB.
It's probably best for him to get a cable modem installed anyway as his current configuration isn't supported and VM will do it FOC.
Can I confirm installing the modem won't affect his current contract length?
Oh, and thanks for all your comments:) much appreciated.
A replacement modem is just that and has no effect on your contract whatsoever.;)

It is more likely that he will require a manned install as a modem will not come with any extra cabling or splitters.

Peter_
13-09-2010, 12:38
Won't they be sending out the self install kit? They did when I had to have the STB changed. Engineer came and fitted the STB and I asked him to check the levels would be OK for the self install (as this has a splitter that causes a 6db drop in level).
No because they usually screw it up and just send a modem in cases like this so I would always request a install.

Badders
13-09-2010, 13:47
I doubt he'll be having the STB changed if it's working and I'd prefer an Engineer install of the modem as he's not too computer literate. I'm not sure why he's using the USB connection anyway as his computer (an oldish Dell) has a RJ45 connector - maybe his previous PC didn't. Thanks again for the info - most interesting.

Peter_
13-09-2010, 13:50
I doubt he'll be having the STB changed if it's working and I'd prefer an Engineer install of the modem as he's not too computer literate. I'm not sure why he's using the USB connection anyway as his computer (an oldish Dell) has a RJ45 connector - maybe his previous PC didn't. Thanks again for the info - most interesting.
They will not change the STB unless it is very old.

Badders
13-09-2010, 13:58
That's what I'm saying - it's working fine so no need for replacing.