PDA

View Full Version : TV: XL BB: XL P: L Customer Service: N/A

mikkyh
12-09-2010, 16:15
OK. So. Their speeds are faster. But my experience with BT has been 10x better than my experience with Virgin Media at my father's house.

I've had Virgin Media at my mothers home for around 5+ years (starting with NTL) and it is fantastic. We've had no end of problems...but now it's finally working how it should be.

However

The installation at my fathers house is just stupid. First, they dug up the mud at the front of the house and LEFT IT ON THE PATH. I thought he was over exaggerating but when I turned up there was mounds of mud all over the stone path in the front garden. Also, they told HIM to move his chest of drawers for them and left cables tangled up and hanging all across the chest of drawers.

Now recently out computers have been struggling to connect to the Netgear router they provided. I resolved the problem temporarily by replacing the network card in one of the systems with a new Netgear 802.11n card so it's at the same IEEE specification as the router.

Firstly, BT provided us with updated wireless equipment to connect to the BT Home Hub when we joined with them. We got NOTHING from Virgin Media and when I phoned their customer support I was greeted with the same quiet voice that you can't hear and a customer support guy that doesn't actually understand what you want: even though I explain repeatedly. Anyway. They said I'd have to buy a new one (so I did).

At my mother's house we have a black modem connected to a Belkin N1 Vision wireless router: which works perfectly with my iPod touches, netbook, and G enabled and one N enabled desktops.

THEY installed a router that has the modem built in...so I can't replace it even if I did have the money. My father is 67 and my mother is 56 so I have to sort everything for them and if I cannot get this resolved I shall be encouraging both my mother and father to leave VM. They both want to already.

So anyway. The Netgear router works fine for a while (sometimes) but then won't respond to a connection from either my fathers laptop; my ipod touch; my brother's iphone or his desktop. It is ridiculous. You then have to RESET the router and remember this is happening on an hourly basis.

Want a crappy router? Want endless queries timed-out? Welcome to Virgin Media.

Regards
A VERY unhappy customer :mad:

No Problem Installation

TV Size: XL VIP + Premium Sky Sports and Movies Channels
BB Size: XL
Phone Size: XL with free anytime calls

VM Has Lost it's Touch Installation

TV Size: XL
BB Size: XL
Phone Size: L

Ben B
12-09-2010, 18:00
Hi There,

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the router to see if that resolves the wireless connectivity issue? Many wireless problems can be caused by interference from other wireless devices in the area and changing the channel on the router will usually resolve it. To change it, go in the wireless settings by browsing to http://192.168.0.1 and log in with the username admin and the password changeme Are you having any issues with wired connectivity?

Ben :)

jb66
12-09-2010, 22:02
Its not the installers job to remove furniture, you should have had the house prepared, they are not insured to move your stuff and if anything were to break they would get into trouble. Also in regards to the computer, why should virgin pay to upgrade your computer? Did you buy it from virgin? They are an Internet provider, they provide the net. Its up to you how you receive it/distribute it throughout the property.

mikkyh
13-09-2010, 18:54
Its not the installers job to remove furniture, you should have had the house prepared, they are not insured to move your stuff and if anything were to break they would get into trouble. Also in regards to the computer, why should virgin pay to upgrade your computer? Did you buy it from virgin? They are an Internet provider, they provide the net. Its up to you how you receive it/distribute it throughout the property.

BT provide a wireless USB adapter when you join their service...so should VM and any other provider. Regardless...

...Left VM today. Good riddance. Keeping it at my premises but they're not squeezing anymore than the £90 a month we pay already out of me.

jb66
13-09-2010, 19:36
BT provide a wireless USB adapter when you join their service...so should VM and any other provider. Regardless...

...Left VM today. Good riddance. Keeping it at my premises but they're not squeezing anymore than the £90 a month we pay already out of me.

No you should update your pc

mikkyh
13-09-2010, 20:16
No you should update your pc

I shouldn't have to upgrade a PC to switch internet provider...that's just stupid. Additionally, it already has a 2.5GHz Intel Quad Core; nvidia geforce gt 320 graphics and 4GB of RAM. That should be enough in any case.

jb66
13-09-2010, 20:20
It is stupid expecting virgin to pay for your faulty/inadequate network card, should virgin provide you with an hd tv to receive hd pictures? Good luck with your new provider I feel sorry for them!

Maggy
13-09-2010, 20:21
Well it's a moot discussion seeing as the OP has left VM..

jb66
13-09-2010, 20:26
Mother and father left too, "Cutting off the nose to spite the face"

Maggy
13-09-2010, 20:36
Mother and father left too, "Cutting off the nose to spite the face"

Well they are free to do so..it is a democracy after all they are just exercising their rights as customers. :)

mikkyh
13-09-2010, 22:13
Well they are free to do so..it is a democracy after all they are just exercising their rights as customers. :)

I usually stand by virgin media...but the service this time round has been awful.

And I've kept it at my house: XL BB, XL TV + Extra V box and Sky Premium Channels (HD Activated V+ HD Box), XL Phone.

So whatever way you look at it I am still paying £90 a month.

To the other poster...that's completely different. They should have just provided an external modem instead of a router so that I could buy a router compatiable with my existing networking cards.

Also, as I said, I did buy a new card to see if it resolved the problem and it didn't. Anyway. All sorted now. I have my 20meg, and I'm not letting VM rip off my parents for a service they dont need and dont get.

Signing out - -

Ben B
13-09-2010, 22:30
You asked for a solution to your problem, I gave you one but you just continued to rant about VM, why ask for help that you're not going to use :rolleyes:

mikkyh
13-09-2010, 22:39
You asked for a solution to your problem, I gave you one but you just continued to rant about VM, why ask for help that you're not going to use :rolleyes:

I tried it. It didn't work.