PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting mess left by Virgin Media installers

bargepole
08-09-2010, 12:16
Just what sort of people are virgin using as installers these days?

I live in a 3 story block of flats that was pre-wired for cable many years ago. The cables are distributed via the flat roof, then down to the flats at various points on the building in neat bunches . Included in the bunches are usually normal aerial TV cables. Any flats that don't take cable have their wire tied up in the bunch. The bunches are neatly fixed to the wall and kept tidy on the roof by being partly in plastic trunking stuck down on the roof.

Two Virgin installers arrived yesterday to fit cable TV to a ground floor flat. They arrived in an unmarked white transit with extension ladders on the roof. They obviously had to get the appropriate wire out of the bunch, but the method they used I can only describe as yanking the bunch of cables until all the cables came loose from their fixings on the wall, they never used their ladders for this, just stood on the ground and yanked. I then left to go to work thinking that the wiring would be re-instated by the installers.

However when I returned home, the wiring was still in the state as when I left i.e. being pulled away from the wall, wires hanging in front of the upper flat windows, and the roof trunking pulled away from its fixings. The lady who had the cable TV fitted was unaware of this mess outside her flat and was disgusted when she saw how they had left the wiring, they never mentioned it to her.

I tried contacting Virgin Media to get someone back to fix the cables, in my capacity as a member of the resident management company, but they would only deal with the person who placed the order. This turns out to be the ladies daughter (who doesn't live at the flats) who eventually contacted Virgin and was given a date of the 1st October for them to come back. I think she's pursuing this to try to get them back sooner

I can't believe that any workmen who had one ounce of pride in their work would leave a job in such a state. What I really wanted was to contact whoever is in charge of these installers and get him/her out to see the state of their workmanship. No doubt they will remain blissfully unaware of the negative image these people have given of Virgin Media.

Anyone know of any good contacts at Virgin Media?

Stuart
08-09-2010, 12:25
If you send me your name, postal address and a contact telephone number, I will refer this to the site's contacts within VM. Please be aware though that as you are not the account holder, they may be unable to do anything (the Data Protection Act may prevent them doing anything).

bargepole
08-09-2010, 13:13
Have Pm'd my details, thanks.

jb66
08-09-2010, 16:51
They dont have time to have pride of their work :)

speedfreak
08-09-2010, 17:11

I must have been lucky then as for me the installers were the best part of my joining VM experience. They couldnt have done a neater job and it wasnt an easy one. Twice this year they have ran a new cable through the garden, the grass looks untouched :) some still take pride in their work

bargepole
08-09-2010, 17:20

No excuse for pulling cables off the wall and leaving them dangling in front of peoples windows.

Got a feeling these 2 were contractors as didn't have a Virgin van but appeared to have company clothing.

jb66
08-09-2010, 18:30
No excuse for pulling cables off the wall and leaving them dangling in front of peoples windows.

Got a feeling these 2 were contractors as didn't have a Virgin van but appeared to have company clothing.

It was a tounge in cheek comment.... Anyway

Did they have long ladders?

martyh
08-09-2010, 18:52
I would be concerned about damage to existing cabling if they just yanked the cabled out of the ties or clips that held them to the wall ,and i think you have every right to complain to VM in your capacity as a member of the resident management company,this is obviously a issue with the neatness of work carried out on the building not a private flat or house .
On a different note when i am fitting windows we are expressly told not to leave cables dangling around windows as most windows on 1st and 2nd floors of buildings are used as fire escapes and these cables can impede the opening of windows

Dave_
08-09-2010, 21:02
If its 3 story then id imagine the Ladders wouldnt reach high enough to A. Get the cables loose properly and B.Fix the mess.

Not that its acceptable , just an idea as to why its a mess.

jb66
08-09-2010, 21:05
If its 3 story then id imagine the Ladders wouldnt reach high enough to A. Get the cables loose properly and B.Fix the mess.

Not that its acceptable , just an idea as to why its a mess.

My ladders cant reach much now Ive got a new van, but I would have called someone with an older van to lend me their ladders

martyh
08-09-2010, 21:13
My ladders cant reach much now Ive got a new van, but I would have called someone with an older van to lend me their ladders

you shouldn't be using ladders above the first floor ,insurance will be void if you go above the first floor on ladders ,do you carry slip mats or stabilisers at all?

jb66
08-09-2010, 21:23
you shouldn't be using ladders above the first floor ,insurance will be void if you go above the first floor on ladders ,do you carry slip mats or stabilisers at all?

I have a laddermate and a stabiliser, that'll be why our ladders only go one floor. The thing is there are loads of lock boxes 1.5 floors high, I wonder what will happen when the old vans go

martyh
08-09-2010, 21:30
I have a laddermate and a stabiliser, that'll be why our ladders only go one floor. The thing is there are loads of lock boxes 1.5 floors high, I wonder what will happen when the old vans go

It will be worth checking out .I don't know what your employment status is (employed or self employed)but in my case my public liability is void if i use ladders above the 1st floor ie gutter height approx 6mtr of the floor and the same may apply to company insurance meaning that if you have a accident VM won't be able to claim on insurance

Gary L
09-09-2010, 08:42
It's all elf and safedy. they erect scaffolding just to get to the upstairs window nowadays.

jb66
09-09-2010, 16:03
I would have thought that a cherry picker:

http://www.cherrypicker.ie/images/elevated_working_platforms.jpg

Would be the fast and safe option? (Only 'cos I bottle it on a ladder over 10 feet :D)

Lockboxes tend to be in the backgardens that won't fit through a stairwell! :)

2 man teams maybe :)

Kymmy
09-09-2010, 16:37
One of these perhaps
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/81.jpg

Digital Fanatic
09-09-2010, 17:00
ha ha :p:

morph178
15-09-2010, 23:49
"Got a feeling these 2 were contractors as didn't have a Virgin van but appeared to have company clothing".

And that makes a difference because...