PDA

View Full Version : Maidenhead

A[L]C
07-09-2010, 16:07
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows when Maidenhead was enabled for Virgin media? I don't think it was long ago, so hoping there won't be many users to slow down my planned 50mb.

I'm slightly concerned though. My friend lives on the same road as me, we're both in flats. If you image there is his block which runs nearly parallel to the road, and my block which runs perpendicular to the road. Together they would make an L shape and I am in the corner, furthest from the road. A bit like this

\ > - I'm here in the corner, he is at the top of the > with the \ being the road

His install date was originally Friday afternoon slot. The engineer turned up at 7:30pm and took one look and said he would need to get the construction team out. They came back Monday and installed it for him all OK. However they did say it can normally take up to 3 weeks for the construction team to come out.

Now I called virgin to explain this to them, they spoke to the construction team who have said its fine, but I am a contractor and need to take half a day off work (unpaid). If they get there an the engineer can't do it, I will not be happy! Also, if it takes 3 weeks I will be without broadband as it is getting cut off on the 6th.

I'm guessing there's not much I can do until it happens?

weesteev
07-09-2010, 16:11
It would be impossible to say construction would be required until an installation was t take place. Hopefully not in your case, your friend may have had a problem specifically with his property.

Keep us posted!

A[L]C
07-09-2010, 16:31
I think its more the distance to the road. See attachment :) btw the road to the left of 'Him' just leads to garages.

A[L]C
08-09-2010, 17:13
Hope it is ok, or its gonna cost me due to having an extra day off work :(

Sephiroth
10-09-2010, 19:49
It's the quality of the install in a block that matters. If they just put up an external wall box and T off to you, then another, then another, etc., your service will rapidly go downhill. If it's properly installed for the block, with a properly sloped amplifier in a locked hub room, then prolly OK.

So keep your eye on that.

As I've posted in another thread, Winners, a few miles from you, which was cabled 15 years ago, has less than 500 homes passed per optical node according to my el-saddo visual check and house count per street!

A[L]C
27-09-2010, 11:41
not long now