PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Simon Cowell considering axing UK shows..

Stuart
07-09-2010, 13:16
Apparently Simon Cowell has already moved next years X factor so he has time for the US x factor and is saying he is considering axing both X factor UK and Britain's Got Talent..

Personally, I would be happy to see both axed..

What do you think? Just tick which you want axed (or saved). You can tick more than one.

BenMcr
07-09-2010, 13:20
Can we have a 'not bothered' option in there?

colin25
07-09-2010, 13:24
I ticked all four..that was my..not bothered vote :D

Hugh
07-09-2010, 13:27
Please make it true - pleaaaaaaasssseeeeeee!

Derek
07-09-2010, 13:31
Personally I'd settle for the programs being replaced by one where you vote on which 'star' from previous series gets executed and the manner of their dispatch.

Obviously Simon himself gets left for the Christmas special and all proceeds to charity. Everyones a winner!

richard1960
07-09-2010, 13:32
If only its true and they both go hope cowell goes through with it.

Sounds too good to be true.

Gary L
07-09-2010, 13:39
I don't mind the X factor. there's some real nutty people out there. and that show brings them all out :)

TheDaddy
07-09-2010, 14:17
Personally I'd settle for the programs being replaced by one where you vote on which 'star' from previous series gets executed and the manner of their dispatch.

Obviously Simon himself gets left for the Christmas special and all proceeds to charity. Everyones a winner!

Seems harsh, cant the just be humanly put to sleep...

Doubt either show will be axed they make to much cash for Cowell and ITV...

Kingofthedead4
07-09-2010, 14:32
Imagine ITV without em......there would be Im a celeb get me out of here on 3 times a year each lasting 2 months at a time........aaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhh

Angua
07-09-2010, 14:34
Seems harsh, cant the just be humanly put to sleep...

Doubt either show will be axed they make to much cash for Cowell and ITV...

Think he would need reformatting & his hard drive wiping rather than humanely put down ;)

haydnwalker
07-09-2010, 14:40
I don't think axing x-factor would hurt cowells profits, as I bet the US producers are offering more than the british ones. BGT is a better show generally, as its about more than just singing.

iFrankie
07-09-2010, 15:26
Hmm i just wondering what i would watch on a saturday xD, im bored with The X Factor now, all i watch is the auditions, and BGT has gone boring.

So axe both and maybe bring them back later on, i can't wait for X Factor USA.

NoKnowledge
07-09-2010, 16:31
I heard or read somewhere Simon said something like the minute it stops being exciting its bye bye.

So maybe it's on its way to being unexciting.

colin25
07-09-2010, 16:37
It has gone way beyond unexciting. It might even be said..it never was.

There, I said it. :)

I think he meant, when it stops being exciting counting all the money, he would stop. I suspect he is close to that point here, looking for the bigger moola in the US of A.

Peter_
07-09-2010, 20:29
Good to see that I am in the majority, all we need is for all reality shows to be cancelled.;)

colin25
07-09-2010, 20:34
I suspect we are not the audience that would watch that type of show. Being in the majority of 30 (or less) may not be that telling, though still counting, could we reach the heady heights of 40? :)

Tezcatlipoca
07-09-2010, 21:00
It's very tempting to add "Axe Simon Cowell" as an option on the poll...

colin25
07-09-2010, 21:06
You might be missing the "in", in the statement "Axe Simon Cowell" , or, am I too cruel :|

Tezcatlipoca
07-09-2010, 21:07
Actually, that's an even better option.

colin25
07-09-2010, 21:08
:D there is no copy right

Paul
08-09-2010, 13:43
Apparently Simon Cowell has already moved next years X factor so he has time for the US x factor and is saying he is considering axing both X factor UK and Britain's Got Talent..

PLEASE, PLEASE say this is true.

Stuart
08-09-2010, 13:51
PLEASE, PLEASE say this is true.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a273918/cowell-threatens-to-axe-x-factor-bgt.html

Stuart
08-09-2010, 23:38
And ITV are rumoured to be looking for a replacement.. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a274916/itv-looking-for-x-factor-replacement.html

BenMcr
09-09-2010, 00:21
And ITV are rumoured to be looking for a replacement.. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a274916/itv-looking-for-x-factor-replacement.html Surely they could just bring back Pop Idol if they could agree terms again with Simon Fuller

There is hardly any difference between the two as it is

speedfreak
09-09-2010, 00:50
you all make me laugh. I bet you all watch them on the quiet :) What would it be replaced with? Re-runs of midsummer murders?

Stuart
09-09-2010, 00:54
Nope. I don't watch them..

Sasha222
09-09-2010, 01:11
you all make me laugh. I bet you all watch them on the quiet :) What would it be replaced with? Re-runs of midsummer murders?

Im not going to say that I never watch them because I do. For the first time since X factor started I haven't watched the auditions this year. It was better when they had the auditions in the room and was ruined when they had the live audience last year. I'm also fed up with the sob stories. I want to just to hear the person or groups with the sob story behind it. So I'm going to wait until the final starts and then I will watch it.

This years BGT was very poor and I cant even remember who won it.

Paul
09-09-2010, 01:33
you all make me laugh. I bet you all watch them on the quiet :)
You would lose your bet.

colin25
09-09-2010, 05:18
Never never watch them...never

My idea of torture. I also don't watch Big Brother, shows predominately for kids..and sex shows (the latter because it just depresses me, it is never like real life..or my life :). "Ohhhhh big C"..see, not real :D )

Hugh
09-09-2010, 10:03
Nope - Big Brother, Strictly, X-Factor, BGT, Get Me Out Of Here, The Hills, Kardashians, and the ilk; I have to leave the room when they're on, as I can't afford a replacement TV.

They are (imho) just "bread and circuses", providing humiliation on demand for TV audiences; if this reflects the state of our society, it doesn't augur well (again, imho).

ShaneC
09-09-2010, 16:52
It's kind of weird, people wanting shows axed that they don't watch, that's pretty sad, shame on you sad people. Oh by the way, I love both shows :P

cimt
09-09-2010, 17:07
Well you wouldn't want them to axe a show that you do watch, would you?

Stuart
09-09-2010, 17:09
It's kind of weird, people wanting shows axed that they don't watch, that's pretty sad, shame on you sad people. Oh by the way, I love both shows :P

Not weird at all. Together with all the result shows, and other hype they take up several hours of TV each. Hours that could be used for something decent. Then there is the fact that it's hard to pick up a newspaper without being exposed to what is happening on the latest Pop-Idol/Opportunity-knocks-with-phone-voting clone from Simon Cowell. That's without mentioning that the TV and Radio news often carry items about them as well.

If the rest of that hype didn't happen, I would just ignore the shows.

ShaneC
09-09-2010, 23:57
Not weird at all. Together with all the result shows, and other hype they take up several hours of TV each. Hours that could be used for something decent. Then there is the fact that it's hard to pick up a newspaper without being exposed to what is happening on the latest Pop-Idol/Opportunity-knocks-with-phone-voting clone from Simon Cowell. That's without mentioning that the TV and Radio news often carry items about them as well.

If the rest of that hype didn't happen, I would just ignore the shows.

That's just crazy, nowadays we have multi channels, the internet and dvd/blu ray so get your entertainment where you want it from. These shows don't have to be watched.

If they get in the media that's because the media thinks they will sell newspapers. My tip, don't read/buy tabloid newspapers. Journalists are a bunch of self satisfying egotists in my opinion.

Look, I love these shows as they are easy going and entertaining family shows. I got three kids and they love them. They don't do any harm so leave them alone :D

Stuart
10-09-2010, 00:12
That's just crazy, nowadays we have multi channels, the internet and dvd/blu ray so get your entertainment where you want it from. These shows don't have to be watched.

If they get in the media that's because the media thinks they will sell newspapers. My tip, don't read/buy tabloid newspapers. Journalists are a bunch of self satisfying egotists in my opinion.

Look, I love these shows as they are easy going and entertaining family shows. I got three kids and they love them. They don't do any harm so leave them alone :D

It's not crazy at all. And you have picked up on something specific I said while totally missing the point of what I said. Which is: Thanks to the amount of hype generated by these assorted shows, it is almost impossible to avoid seeing at least something about them unless you totally cut yourself off from the media.

This is something I don't want to do, and don't see why I should have to.

As for not doing any harm? How about to the careers of those they promise success and fame to? Think about that. Cowell has been pedalling these sorts of shows for over ten years now. How many of the winners are still famous and successful? Not many.

As for the multi channels/DVD comment. True, we do have those things. If I want to watch a cheap American import or a repeat on Saturday night, I can. I just tune to Living, any Sky channel or any one of the old UKTV channels. Perhaps I don't want to. Same with DVDs.

SideWeaver
10-09-2010, 00:47
I wish these reality shows would be kicked out and the money invested properly.. Too many good shows like The Bill have been ruined and are no longer being made. ITV for sure has gone down down hill.

ShaneC
10-09-2010, 01:01
why does seeing something about the show in the media cause an issue. There are lots of things in the media I don't care about. It doesn't worry me, I just ignore it or file it under "meh"

Also, your second point, who is still famous? I mean come on, Olly Murrs is currently number one, Diana Vickers is doing well, JLS have many hits, Diversity are everywhere and sold out......none of these were the winners. So in my book, they've done ok out of the shows.

To me, Saturday night is about family entertainment. The type that doesn't really require you to think too much. I mean who wants to be intellectually challenged on a Saturday night?

There are many shows I don't watch or don't really care about. However I realise that others enjoy them so good for them, I won't stand in their way and I certainly wouldn't come onto an Internet forum baying for their blood. If the show appears in the media, I would also ignore that. People tell me Glee is liked, it doesn't interest me, not going to worry about it but if it rocks your boat, good for you.

Anyway, this has gone way too serious. We all know Simon Cowell will only make the programmes whilst he can screw us for money. When it loses money it will die.

Hugh
10-09-2010, 08:56
But there's a difference between "family entertainment" and the public humiliation of quite a few of the contestants - everyone who appears on the TV show has been auditioned before they go before the panel; do we really believe that the ones everyone laughs at because they are so bad suddenly deteriorated overnight, or have they been put on the TV because they are so bad?

I am sorry, but putting people up for public humiliation is not, in my eyes, family entertainment.

Stuart
10-09-2010, 09:44
Also, your second point, who is still famous? I mean come on, Olly Murrs is currently number one, Diana Vickers is doing well, JLS have many hits, Diversity are everywhere and sold out......none of these were the winners. So in my book, they've done ok out of the shows.

So did Gareth Gates and Will Young while the hype machine was still interested. Where are they now? For that matter, where are most of Hearsay? The members of that band with long term success are no longer singing.

Sasha222
10-09-2010, 11:57
I wish these reality shows would be kicked out and the money invested properly.. Too many good shows like The Bill have been ruined and are no longer being made. ITV for sure has gone down down hill.

For me and I think others as well the bill was ruined when they started bringing in people that had left soaps. It was like a second home for them. When they done that I stopped watching it.

Maggy
10-09-2010, 12:04

To me, Saturday night is about family entertainment. The type that doesn't really require you to think too much. I mean who wants to be intellectually challenged on a Saturday night?

I do..after all Mon -Fri are work days and I need less stimulation then.I need to wind down.

Saturday Night if I don't go out I want a good film or drama with an actual plot and possibly an inspirational story.

I cannot recall the last time I bothered watching Saturday Night TV..without just falling asleep from boredom.:rolleyes:

colin25
10-09-2010, 16:53
I feel sorry for the kids these days. When I grew up in 70s, I had bands that 20 years later i could listen still to.

The kids now, they have Jedward. I can see mass suicide sessions :(

iFrankie
10-09-2010, 17:53
I would like to see Londons Burning and the original Family Fortunes back on a saturday night, also i want Heart Beat back haha, i used to love sitting with the family watching all these.

colin25
10-09-2010, 17:55
ahh..I remember trying to guess the answers to family fortunes..those were the days :D

Sasha222
10-09-2010, 18:01
They still show the old shows on Challenge of Famiyl Fortunes. I loved Les Dennis doing it. He was much better than Vernon Kay. Also why does Vernon Kay only have the Celebs on it and not ordinary people. I loved strick it lucky as well and Michael Barrymores' "My kind of people"

BenMcr
10-09-2010, 18:02
Also why does Vernon Kay only have the Celebs on it and not ordinary people.Because all the TV channels are Celeb obsessed and think it will bring in more viewers?

iFrankie
10-09-2010, 18:02
Also Blind Date haha.

Sasha222
10-09-2010, 18:03
No couldn't say I liked that only because Cilla Black was doing it. :(

Stuart
12-09-2010, 01:39
I do..after all Mon -Fri are work days and I need less stimulation then.I need to wind down.

Saturday Night if I don't go out I want a good film or drama with an actual plot and possibly an inspirational story.

I cannot recall the last time I bothered watching Saturday Night TV..without just falling asleep from boredom.:rolleyes:

Agreed. ITV can (and do, sometimes) produce excellent dramas. I'd like to see ITV produce a good family drama that isn't a soap. Something like Primeval perhaps. Or, they could produce a good comedy. They can do it. They don't do it, but they can.

I think ITV assume everyone goes out on Saturdays because it seems as though, apart from the various "talent" shows from Simon Cowell, they really don't bother on Saturdays anymore. An attitude that has resulted in them being consistently beaten in the ratings for Saturdays by BBC 1, and sometimes by BBC 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

Hom3r
12-09-2010, 17:49
You can add Stricty Come Dancing to that.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

I would like to see Londons Burning and the original Family Fortunes back on a saturday night, also i want Heart Beat back haha, i used to love sitting with the family watching all these.

Well Heartbeat is the last ever episode tonight.

Family Fortunes sucks.

The questions and answers are carp eg.

1. Name a dangerous race? THE ARABS.

2. Name somthing red? MY JUMPER.

3. Name a dangerous animal? A SQUIRREL.

colin25
12-09-2010, 19:13
Actually, it would be, we surveyed 100 people, what were the top 10 answers when they were asked to name a dangerous animal
I would have gone for lion, maybe annoyed squirrel if desperate, and bison (equally annoyed) :D

fatmat8
12-09-2010, 20:41
good . glad to hear such good news