PDA

View Full Version : VM Hub Playing About?

k4har
07-09-2010, 00:08
Ive had the vm hub for about a week now and whenever i open utorrent to download stuff or evan when i just have open (no active downloads or seeds) and try to browse at the same time my browser in unable to load or display pages (utorrent isnt taking all the speed up)

Browsing works fine when not using utorrent

Tried on several computers same problem

Any ideas?

hifi2007
07-09-2010, 01:49
how many connections have u allowed for utorrent?
i would say 200 max should be ok
also try backing your upload speed off by 10%-20% of your available ammount

k4har
07-09-2010, 01:53
It's on 150 and upload is on 6kb

gobbledigook
07-09-2010, 15:11
there are a few reasons this could happen, although i hven't personal experience of this virgin hub... its basicaly a router, what brand/model is it?

the hub may not have much memory... so you start to torrent it runs out of memory and will stop serving other pages. Although as a fairly new peice of hardware i would doubt this to be a problem.

the upload speed is too high, when you send a request to look at a website you send a packet upstream as it were to say hello! often when using p2p software these packets can get lost in the "ebb" of upload traffic. Although i wouldn't set it less than 10kB/s (=approx 110kb/s) as then your dowload will be automatically restricted.

try turning off DHT.

try connecting directly using just your PC and the modem, then you will know if it is definately related to the hub

Matt-08
08-09-2010, 22:44
there are a few reasons this could happen, although i hven't personal experience of this virgin hub... its basicaly a router, what brand/model is it?

the hub may not have much memory... so you start to torrent it runs out of memory and will stop serving other pages. Although as a fairly new peice of hardware i would doubt this to be a problem.

the upload speed is too high, when you send a request to look at a website you send a packet upstream as it were to say hello! often when using p2p software these packets can get lost in the "ebb" of upload traffic. Although i wouldn't set it less than 10kB/s (=approx 110kb/s) as then your dowload will be automatically restricted.

try turning off DHT.

try connecting directly using just your PC and the modem, then you will know if it is definately related to the hub

If he has the hub, he can't connect direct to the modem as the hub is a combined router and modem.

gobbledigook
10-09-2010, 00:46
If he has the hub, he can't connect direct to the modem as the hub is a combined router and modem.

Ahhh... see here is where i assumed the hub was separate from the modem :( obviously VM are trying to cash in on the whole BT home hub idea...

k4har
10-09-2010, 01:50
Sorted now called up today it was a problem with the hub getting replaced tommorow (VM are working fast!) lol
Thanks for the help guys