PDA

View Full Version : DSL lamp lit, Internet lamp not

Chris
06-09-2010, 15:48
My VM ADSL service is up and down like the proverbial today. I try re-booting the modem/router and get a DSL connection without bother, and a decent sync speed (1888kbps at the moment ... yes, that's decent out here). But the internet service won't connect.

Any thoughts on where in the system the problem is likely to be with symptoms like this?

Kymmy
06-09-2010, 15:55
Normally an issue with authentication/routing, the DSL light means your line to the exchange is working.. What does it say in the log?

Chris
06-09-2010, 16:03
Normally an issue with authentication/routing, the DSL light means your line to the exchange is working.. What does it say in the log?

I really don't know what I'm looking at, but the first page following my last hard reboot is attached. Problem is, it has been working since the last reboot.

I recognise some of the IPs; they are OpenDNS. No idea about the other ones ... presumably here and the BBC, maybe my mail service as well.

Kymmy
06-09-2010, 16:23
We need the log from when it's not working ;)

Chris
06-09-2010, 16:34
Well, if it goes down again I'll screencap the log before I reboot. Hard rebooting seems to clear the log out.

Mind you, if I do that, I'll have to wait until it's up again before I can post it ... :spin:

kwikbreaks
06-09-2010, 16:58
With ADSL there are two stages to getting a connection.
First your modem/router has to establish sync with the kit in the phone exchange - usually you'll first see a led blinking when the signal from the exchange is detected and then it goes solid once sync is established.

After that a session has to be established with your ISP which will involve validating the login credentials and end up with you being allocated an IP address.

It will be that second bit that is failing and you'll need to complain to your ISP about it if it happens regularly.

Chris
21-09-2010, 18:19
After behaving for a week or two this kicked off again this afternoon. I eventually got fed up and called them. The CSR said that since they migrated email systems there has been a problem with passwords that are no longer considered sufficiently strong ... which mine apparently wasn't. So he has changed my master password at their end and I have changed mine in the router.

It reconnected after about 10 minutes, and we will just have to wait and see whether that solves it.

Has anyone else heard of this explanation for Virgin ADSL connections dropping?

dilli-theclaw
21-09-2010, 18:26
After behaving for a week or two this kicked off again this afternoon. I eventually got fed up and called them. The CSR said that since they migrated email systems there has been a problem with passwords that are no longer considered sufficiently strong ... which mine apparently wasn't. So he has changed my master password at their end and I have changed mine in the router.

It reconnected after about 10 minutes, and we will just have to wait and see whether that solves it.

Has anyone else heard of this explanation for Virgin ADSL connections dropping?They changed my password last week when I was having problems. This did solve things for a day or two, but then they said my line was faulty so they are looking at that now.

Chris
22-09-2010, 10:41
A day or two? Try a minute or two. :erm: It died again almost immediately last night and was unusable despite, after a couple of modem-router re-boots, apparently re-connecting (internet and DSL lamps both lit and steady).

Another re-boot seems to have fixed it this morning, but I have no confidence that it's all over.

I called support back last night; the CSR seemed more willing to carry out extensive checks and after several minutes said he would have to pass it to second line support, citing some evidence of a 'signal delay' as he watched me re-booting from his end.

I don't know exactly what that means and I don't know how quickly it's likely to be fixed. Given the intermittent nature of the problem I don't even know how I'll know it's been fixed. :spin:

Anyone got any ideas?

danielf
22-09-2010, 10:55

Has anyone else heard of this explanation for Virgin ADSL connections dropping?

The connection drops because the email password isn't strong enough? That sounds like a right load of BS.

Chris
22-09-2010, 11:30
Well, it certainly didn't fix the problem. But it seems it may not be an uncommon 'diagnosis', seeing as they tried to fix Dilli's problem last week the same way. :erm:

Kymmy
22-09-2010, 11:40
Sounds like some newbie has fixed a similar problem and now thinks that all the problems are caused by the same fault and then told his mates who he works with..etc..etc..etc

dilli-theclaw
22-09-2010, 15:04
Well, my update is (touch wood) they have done /something/ to my line as it all works ok now. It does sound increadibly clear when I'm on the phone to people now it was really crackly before.

My speeds are back to what they were before.

So I don't think changing the password was it ;) - but it did get sorted when they passed my problem up to second line.

Chris
22-09-2010, 15:05
Did they come back to you to let you know what had been done?

dilli-theclaw
22-09-2010, 15:08
Did they come back to you to let you know what had been done?All I had was a text on my phone saying the work had been carried out and a number to call if there were any more issues.

I shall give it a couple of days and see but it's ok at the moment.