PDA

View Full Version : Modem keeps dropping Havant

shibby
03-09-2010, 18:22
I've got a 256 ambit(I think) standalone modem
And over the past week or so the modem has been dropping out. It started when both Internet and TV in the area stopped for a brief period. Its getting pretty frustrating now. When it works it seems fine, but when it stops it will be intermittent before it stables out.
I am located in Waterlooville (near Havant)

Anyone else had any problems in this area?
Here is my upstream and downstream from the modem.

Downstream:
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -15.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.0 dB

Upstream:
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

General Maximus
03-09-2010, 18:53
havent heard of either of those places (sound like they are out of a Pixar movie) but I am pretty sure that you downstream power level is too low and your upstream is too high

I stand corrected, looks like upstream is okay (but bordering on being too high), it is your downstream that is defo way too low. Give tech support a tinkle on 151 and get them to fix it.

Peter_
03-09-2010, 19:10
I would book you an engineer for that downstream as it should be as near to zero as possible, the upstream is absolutely fine and just like my own Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV.

Waterlooville is in the Portsmouth area.;)

Turkey Machine
04-09-2010, 16:43
Just double-check the coax is firmly plugged into both the modem and the wall.

phixer
04-09-2010, 17:23
Well I know where Havant and Waterlooville are as I am only down the road in North Fareham and am having difficulties of the type before I managed to get the old Ambit (silver case) changed. My PingPlotter trace through the VM nodes looked like this yesterday:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/114.png

It is no better today working at dial-up speed most of the time or stopped.

I tried calling technical for the first time since then and now got nowhere after three lists of menu options I got a voice (male) telling me that an engineer was fixing a problem somewhere in the South London area and then another voice (female) with (from memory) 'You are experiencing a problem in postal area ..silence DONG silence another DONG and then all the signs of a dead line. I tried twice and then gave up.

Paint dries in less time than it took to post this.

jb66
04-09-2010, 17:25
I would book you an engineer for that downstream as it should be as near to zero as possible, the upstream is absolutely fine and just like my own Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV.

Waterlooville is in the Portsmouth area.;)

Qpsk

Peter_
04-09-2010, 17:31
Qpsk
I am on the Knowsley platform with 256 QAM on the Downstream and 16QAM on the Upstream.

A nice stable connection giving at least 18Mb.

phixer
04-09-2010, 17:32
my stats currently are:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.8 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.3 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Peter_
04-09-2010, 17:35
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.8 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.3 dBmV

They are absolutely fine, so the issue has to be elsewhere.

phixer
04-09-2010, 17:46
They are absolutely fine, so the issue has to be elsewhere.
That is my surmise.

Looks like coshcash etc are heavily loaded, I could expand some sections as I have the run logg and just looked at it again and see 50% (over 24 samples) packet loss across 195.182.182.5 cosh-core-1b-ge-014-0.network.virginmedia.net.

As I say I have not seen it this bad for some time and I note one of the nodes (at 5 I think - could check the recent runs) changed about a week ago.

phixer
05-09-2010, 11:42
Looking better today.

What in the hell was going on Friday and Saturday as yesterday was just as bad and I gave up using in the end?

I am not a gamer and do not download loads of video etc. Watch occasional YouTube stuff and every blue moon BBC iPlayer but browsing thats about it.

I have my own website started way back in the days when a 28K8 modem was hot stuff and my pages have been designed with dial-up in mind. That is how I can be sure when this broadband service is slower than dial-up as I link to my own web site's home page.

Yesterday and Friday that took an age to load, if it did at all. I had a brief period of total disconnect late yesterday evening - wall to wall red across all Virgin nodes.

Peter_
05-09-2010, 11:44
It is likely to have been an area issue which appears to have been rectified.

fugu
05-09-2010, 11:58
Im in southsea, since last night my connection had been dropping and unable to load webpages. Called tech support last night and offshore told me that after rebooting my modem it was my browser setting causing the problem, despite me telling him it is the same with opera, firefox and ie and on 2 pc's. He gave me a number for virgin digital support, which at the time I believed was a new tech support that might actually help, but no, its a paid for service for those who need help turning their computer off and on....felt fobbed off and annoyed.
As the problem continued this morning I called again and got connected to onshore support, who quickly looked on his system, saw there was a network fault and told me that it had been passed on to the engineers (something about fluctuating levels on the UBR). All without turning my modem off and on.