PDA

View Full Version : Cable overground

wyabcp
03-09-2010, 12:48
Hi, back again, still trying to see whether a house i'm moving into will get a cable feed into the house, the street is already cabled. and the original house on the plot of land was cabled before it was knocked down and my new house built in it's place.
i've noticed my fathers next door neighbour has had the cable spliced in the street, and then a trunked cable feed run to the house overground along the side fence. Is this normal ? would be easy for me to get it in new house if it is....

weesteev
03-09-2010, 14:44
This would have been done by the installtion team and is not a normal install. No doubt this would have been the only option as breaking ground would have been too messy/diffcult and will all be on the customers property. It does happen but is at the judgment of the Install tech, bear in mind this would have no bearing on whether the hosue could get service in the first place or not.

I take it your house currently cannot be sold to?

wyabcp
03-09-2010, 15:24
the house i'm buying is waiting for completion date... i'm just waiting for virgin to send spotter around, however i'd like to be there when he visits to make sure we have all the options covered.
the last time one went there, he visited the wrong house .. .and discounted it very quickly..

weesteev
03-09-2010, 22:11
Haha oh dear!

If your house is on the site of an older house that was serviced then the spotter should be able to get the property details updated with our Housefiles team to make it saleable, it sounds unlikely that any work would be required to make the home serviceable (construction wise) but hard to tell.

Let us know how things go with the spotter and If you need any help then let me know!

Best of luck

wyabcp
06-09-2010, 10:19
thanks for your support :) and i'll update later this week ...
When you mention "saleable" are you refering to Virgin being able to sell the service to the house ?

weesteev
07-09-2010, 09:41
Spot on!

wyabcp
05-10-2010, 16:13
Hi all... at last ... i've got my cable, this was a real struggle but got there in the end...
quick recap...
Asked spotter to check availability, he responded not possible, but was checking wrong house number, escalated through virgin and got him to arrange a meeting at property...

in the mean time i had contacted Cable my street about an install , here was their response...

"We have completed an in-depth investigation into the area you suggested for cable infill. Unfortunately to make this area serviceable would be very expensive - working out at around £1000 for each property in the area. Our current business rules only allow us around £300 per home - so we cannot proceed at this time.
I appreciate this is not good news, but be assured our team have investigated this very thoroughly and will continue to look for other solutions that may help us achieve this in the future. "

Ok, so i thought that was it, nevertheless i ignored the email and chased Virgin again saying that I still had not had a proper response from the spotter, this was escalated yet again, and in the end we met at the property on the day i moved in, he was great, and told me that it would be possible just need some work doing on my pathway. 5 days later the install guys turned up (initially they shook their heads saying it was unlikely and spotters can be imaginative), but they were able to pull through 30m's of cable and get it into the house. also gave me the new kit Samsung V+ etc, and took old kit away... everything works great.... so.. at last got there in the end...

thanks for all your help...

weesteev
06-10-2010, 07:34
Hi all... at last ... i've got my cable, this was a real struggle but got there in the end...
quick recap...
Asked spotter to check availability, he responded not possible, but was checking wrong house number, escalated through virgin and got him to arrange a meeting at property...

in the mean time i had contacted Cable my street about an install , here was their response...

"We have completed an in-depth investigation into the area you suggested for cable infill. Unfortunately to make this area serviceable would be very expensive - working out at around £1000 for each property in the area. Our current business rules only allow us around £300 per home - so we cannot proceed at this time.
I appreciate this is not good news, but be assured our team have investigated this very thoroughly and will continue to look for other solutions that may help us achieve this in the future. "

Ok, so i thought that was it, nevertheless i ignored the email and chased Virgin again saying that I still had not had a proper response from the spotter, this was escalated yet again, and in the end we met at the property on the day i moved in, he was great, and told me that it would be possible just need some work doing on my pathway. 5 days later the install guys turned up (initially they shook their heads saying it was unlikely and spotters can be imaginative), but they were able to pull through 30m's of cable and get it into the house. also gave me the new kit Samsung V+ etc, and took old kit away... everything works great.... so.. at last got there in the end...

thanks for all your help...

Nice one!

It appears that cost per home would have been for the entire street or surrounding area, sounds like the construction team was just able to get your house done within their budget. Well done and hope you enjoy your services!

;)

wyabcp
06-10-2010, 07:51
Yeah it's good thanks... just waiting for Tivo now... any ideas when this will be :D ?

had one when they first came out over here.. about 10 years ago! awesome boxes...
ooops wrong forum :)

weesteev
06-10-2010, 08:09
TiVo is due to start rolling out by the end of the year to a select number of customers, I think it will be well into next year before we see any kind of full rollout though.