PDA

View Full Version : Phone from Modem?

pikelet
30-08-2010, 15:14
I have a Netgear VMDG280 Modem. The wires to it are:

1. Ethernet from my PC
2. Main Cable from Virgin
3. The power cable

May seem a silly question but can I somehow fix a telephone to this setup, by perhaps using a splitter of some kind?
I need a phone near to my PC, the current one is near where the Virgin Cable enters the house.

Paul K
30-08-2010, 15:17
If it's adsl you can use a splitter/ filter adaptor on the socket and run an extension lead for the telephone (not the adsl) to your computer and plug a phone in there. If you are on Cable for internet then it's a different situation.

pikelet
30-08-2010, 15:19
Yep! I'm on VM cable for everything.

Peter_
30-08-2010, 15:21
You can only use VOIP type phones as ordinary phones do not work on a cable connection.

Kymmy
30-08-2010, 15:35
Have you a phone supplied by VM? (or BT) if so just buy a standard extension cable and fit a double plug as from many shops (argos, b&q) (this phone will then share the same line/number)

If you want a VoIP phone (with a new number) to plug into the router then you need something which is Skype/vonage compatible and a related skype vonage account

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Please do not post more than one thread on the same subject, threads merged, duplicate post deleted

pikelet
30-08-2010, 15:38
Many Thanks 'PAUL' and 'MASQUE' for your replies.
I at least know where I am now. Will look up information on this type of phone. (complete newbie!)
Thanks again.

General Maximus
31-08-2010, 08:41
orrrrrrrrrr, you could buy a new twin set cordless phone and have one handset in your living room (or where ever the main socket is) and then have the second handset (which only needs connecting to the mains power) next to your pc

pikelet
31-08-2010, 10:11
Now that's good thinkinking!
Why didn't I think of that!
Ta.