PDA

View Full Version : Getting Cable

Central
26-08-2010, 20:16
I know this comment may upset some people on here

But I am reluctantly getting VM Cable.

I am moving house and if i could i would take BE with me but the distance is my letdown. Until FTTC comes out anyway. I can get FTTC on my exchange with about 17mb down and 6mb up but only from BT. I dont fancy BT.

I am gunning for XXL. I dont fancy the STM of the lower services.

So some questions

Is it totally unlimited?
What router do I get?
When I used to be on Telewest congestion was a issue. Is this still so?
Has 100mb got a release date?
Are the support newsgroups still going?

Cheers

Peter_
26-08-2010, 20:25
It is not traffic managed.

You wil get a D link DIR615 router and one USB N adaptor.

50Mb shold not be congested.

100Mb has no release date as yet and will be rolled out area by area anyway.

The Support groups have ceased to exist and have been replaced by Virginmedia's community forum but you also have here.

kwikbreaks
27-08-2010, 15:33
Masque is correct to say that there is no traffic management but it isn't completely unlimited. If you check the forum you will find many reports where 50Mbps users have been asked to shift their downloads away from peak times under the Acceptable Use policy.

That said with 20Mbps you can download 10.5GB a day in peak times without even getting throttled (STM) - just how much download do you need?

dgcarter
27-08-2010, 16:27
Masque is correct to say that there is no traffic management but it isn't completely unlimited. If you check the forum you will find many reports where 50Mbps users have been asked to shift their downloads away from peak times under the Acceptable Use policy.

That said with 20Mbps you can download 10.5GB a day in peak times without even getting throttled (STM) - just how much download do you need?

Always assuming you can get that speed.

Hugh
27-08-2010, 16:30
I get a steady 18-19 Mbps on my 20Mb....

kwikbreaks
27-08-2010, 18:04
I get a steady 18-19 Mbps on my 20Mb....Same here.

To adhere to the earlier 7GB limit the average download needs to be kept ~ 400kBps between 10:00 and 15:00 and if you can't get that on 20Mbps cable you may as well cancel.

broadbandking
27-08-2010, 20:38
I know this comment may upset some people on here

But I am reluctantly getting VM Cable.

I am moving house and if i could i would take BE with me but the distance is my letdown. Until FTTC comes out anyway. I can get FTTC on my exchange with about 17mb down and 6mb up but only from BT. I dont fancy BT.

I am gunning for XXL. I dont fancy the STM of the lower services.

So some questions

Is it totally unlimited?
What router do I get?
When I used to be on Telewest congestion was a issue. Is this still so?
Has 100mb got a release date?
Are the support newsgroups still going?

Cheers

You can still use news.virginmedia.com for NZB downloads.

Sephiroth
30-08-2010, 11:35
I don't agree that 50 meg won't be congested. It depends where you are.

According to my survey here in Winnersh, whete there are less than 500 homes passed per optical node, congestion would be considerably lower than in a city area where that ratio could be trebled.

The thing to be borne in mind is that currently, 50 meg has just one upstream channel. That can get used up very quickly in any street (depending on topology) let alone an optical node.

VM's resegmentation exercise for 10:1 DS/US speed will relieve that constraint over the coming months (??).

So just bear that in mind for now.

By the way, for what my opinion is worth, both BT Infinity and VM Cable are FTTC although VM is FTTC to a cabinet once removed from yours!