PDA

View Full Version : NTL / VirginMedia Router Problem

virginmediacust
23-08-2010, 10:10
Hi.

There is a problem with one of the VirginMedia/NTL routers causing addressing to fail for certain websites.

(Websites accessible through BT, and other Uk providers, but VirginMedia failing.)

The addressing would indicate a problem is within the London Internet Exchange.

linx-gw1.router.ntli.net (195.66.224.22)

Does anyone have any information on when this is likely to get fixed?

colmm
23-08-2010, 12:01
Maybe try plugging computer directly into the modem (remove router) and see if does the same. If it works, maybe a new router firmware. Otherwise might be the NTL line.
Hope this help a little.

kwikbreaks
23-08-2010, 12:16
You may get a better response on the official VM boards rather than here. Some VM staff members visit this board but it seems none are around now. http://community.virginmedia.com/

Is it still bust? I would have thought routing issues would be picked up and corrected fairly quickly....

virginmediacust
23-08-2010, 16:28
Problem has been fixed and addressing works. In all it looks like their router was out for about 24 hours.

(I wonder if it simply needed rebooting!)

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

Thanks Kwikbreaks for info about Virginboards. Very interesting. :D

Although the problem was reported there as well as my report here, no VM staff replied to either post, so I'm not sure information posted on either board would be read by VM staff quickly.

Incidentally, reporting the technical fault to VirginMedia by telephone was problematic (to say the least) - I just kept getting transferred to a call centre in India who had little expertise in the internet (or English comprehension for that matter). If anyone out there knows of an efficient way to report VirginMedia network problems in future, I'd be grateful to hear it. :)

kwikbreaks
23-08-2010, 16:59
I think reporting a VM infrastructure problem to the offshore call centre is going to be no fun at all. You may stand a chance with the UK call centre as I'm sure they'd at least understand what you were trying to report.

I've no idea how to get problems of that nature fixed.

virginmediacust
23-08-2010, 18:41
I've just received word from a contact that the router problem may not be fixed for all websites. I'll try and confirm later this week.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

More information regarding this routing issue here (quite technical)

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Routing-Issues/td-p/117925

pip08456
23-08-2010, 18:41
[/COLOR]Thanks Kwikbreaks for info about Virginboards. Very interesting. :D

Although the problem was reported there as well as my report here, no VM staff replied to either post, so I'm not sure information posted on either board would be read by VM staff quickly.

Incidentally, reporting the technical fault to VirginMedia by telephone was problematic (to say the least) - I just kept getting transferred to a call centre in India who had little expertise in the internet (or English comprehension for that matter). If anyone out there knows of an efficient way to report VirginMedia network problems in future, I'd be grateful to hear it. :)

The turn around for an answer on their board is 48hrs min. If another user replys to your post you are sent to the back of the queue, good thinking that!

The VM staff who drop in here do so in their own time so would depend on their work commitments (shifts etc.) so we can't, or shouldn't, complain about that.

Anything other than a problem with your line is a defo "no go" with India.

Perhaps Masque or BenMcr will be on later and advise you where to go with network problems.

At least you're sorted for now.

Peter_
23-08-2010, 19:23
If the is an issue with the DNS servers then they will be working to fix them and re direct you as soon as possible.

Are you a cable customer or do you receive your broadband through a BT phone line.

kwikbreaks
23-08-2010, 21:18
Take a look at the thread he linked to. It isn't a DNS issue which would be easy to get around by using somebody else's it's apparently a routing issue. Note the loop...

11 15 ms 27 ms 18 ms v100-r2.thn.telecomplete.net [213.160.96.54]

12 18 ms 21 ms 19 ms v101-r1.tch.telecomplete.net [213.160.96.123]

13 17 ms 18 ms 19 ms v100-r2.thn.telecomplete.net [213.160.96.54]

14 18 ms 37 ms 19 ms v101-r1.tch.telecomplete.net [213.160.96.123]
etc.
etc.

I haven't investigated it but the router name doesn't suggest to me that it's a VM problem

Peter_
23-08-2010, 21:28
Take a look at the thread he linked to. It isn't a DNS issue which would be easy to get around by using somebody else's it's apparently a routing issue. Note the loop...

I haven't investigated it but the router name doesn't suggest to me that it's a VM problem

Which is why I asked how did he receive broadband as nothing appears to link to the cable network and it sounds BT related, it may not be but sounds like.

kwikbreaks
23-08-2010, 22:01
The initial hops in the tracerts in that link are all virginmedia so I'm not sure what you're looking at...

pip08456
24-08-2010, 00:28
The initial hops are bound to be VM ones as that is your ISP.

Checking the thread

"Looks like its a problem with a server at telecomplete end. i will fire them off a email but as its outside VM network there's likley very little vm staff can do."

kwikbreaks
24-08-2010, 08:09
I realise we were at cross purposes and deleted that post. When you mentioned BT I thought you meant the tracert you'd seen was from a BT customer.

I tried the url mentioned last night on my VM connection and it was working ok then. As it was getting late and isn't impacting me I didn't do a tracert or any investigation at all - I just glanced at the original tracert and saw the loop didn't seem to involve VM routers so it isn't a VM problem - they just happen to route down a path that has a preblem further on.

Peter_
24-08-2010, 08:18
I tried the URL's and with the 195 I got nothing but with 1 and 3 of the 213 addresses I got a warning message.

R2.THN.TELECOMPLETE.NET

AUTHORISED ACCESS ONLY!!

WARNING:
You have accessed a device managed by Telecomplete Ltd.
You are required to have authorisation from us before you
proceed and you are strictly limited to the use set out within
that authorisation. Unauthorised access to or misuse of this
system is prohibited and constitutes an offence under the
Computer Misuse Act 1990.

If you disclose any information obtained through this system
without authority Telecomplete may take legal action against you!

kwikbreaks
24-08-2010, 08:22
Are hacking attempts permitted under the AUP :)

pip08456
24-08-2010, 09:18

That is one of the thing expressly forbidden under your T's & C's

Peter_
24-08-2010, 09:22
Any such behaviour would end up with your services being terminated and that above does require a login.;)

kwikbreaks
24-08-2010, 09:48
As you're still posting I assume they didn't catch you trying to get into that router then....

Peter_
24-08-2010, 10:00
As you're still posting I assume they didn't catch you trying to get into that router then....
No all you do is put the IP in your browser and press enter which takes you to a login page, try it as you can get no further without a password.

kwikbreaks
24-08-2010, 11:14
Ah - I'd assumed you were trying to get in using telnet. I didn't realise that commercial routers had an http interface but I suppose it makes the admin easier.

Peter_
24-08-2010, 12:04
Ah - I'd assumed you were trying to get in using telnet. I didn't realise that commercial routers had an http interface but I suppose it makes the admin easier.
No I was just interested to see what the actual IP's resolved to nothing more.