PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems DN35?

gazfan
21-08-2010, 23:49
Hi

just wondering if anyone else is having problems in the general DN35 area ?

Past couple of days have seen internet access intermittent - ready light flashes on modem when it is down - green light on stb (Samsung 2100T) flashes, also.

When the connection is working it shows SNR 38, Downstream power -5, but upstream power 61 ... which I know is too high, I just wondered if anyone was having similar localised problems.

Posting this using my mobile broadband dongle.

Gaz

pip08456
22-08-2010, 00:06
If both the modem and STB are showing problems then it is safe to presume thetre is a problem with either your line or supply (CTMS etc).

Best thing to do is ring it in but if you want to avoid offshore do it Monday morning EARLY!

gazfan
22-08-2010, 00:22
If both the modem and STB are showing problems then it is safe to presume thetre is a problem with either your line or supply (CTMS etc).

Best thing to do is ring it in but if you want to avoid offshore do it Monday morning EARLY!

pretty much what I thought, however I leave for work before 07:30, so not sure if that is 'too' early for an UK agent - I hope it isn't, because it simply isn't worth being connected to the offshore 'support' for this kind of problem.

pip08456
22-08-2010, 00:36
UK don't start until 08.00, but as it seems to be a line fault I can't see them asking you to re-boot the modem.

Peter_
22-08-2010, 10:31
upstream power 61
It needs an engineer with that Upstream as it cannot show any higher and will probably be a local issue between you and the cabinet.

gazfan
22-08-2010, 12:20
It needs an engineer with that Upstream as it cannot show any higher and will probably be a local issue between you and the cabinet.

bummer, I knew I was clutching at straws in hoping it was a more widespread issue that could be fixed 'externally'.

Thanks for your input, Masque :)

Mick Fisher
22-08-2010, 15:10
bummer, I knew I was clutching at straws in hoping it was a more widespread issue that could be fixed 'externally'.

Just had a similar problem resolved.

I developed a terrible upset stomach on the day the engineer was expected and was trapped :( on the Loo when he called. By the time I got myself together he had gone. :(

But.....

Conscientious soul that he was, it seems he took a look in the cab, found and fixed a problem and later left me a note to say he had called but couldn't get and answer but I should find the issue fixed.

And it was!!!!!!!!!! :)

15/10 to that engineer. :tu:

gazfan
22-08-2010, 15:55
Just had a similar problem resolved.

I developed a terrible upset stomach on the day the engineer was expected and was trapped :( on the Loo when he called. By the time I got myself together he had gone. :(

But.....

Conscientious soul that he was, it seems he took a look in the cab, found and fixed a problem and later left me a note to say he had called but couldn't get and answer but I should find the issue fixed.

And it was!!!!!!!!!! :)

15/10 to that engineer. :tu:

I've just been out to have a look at the street box - one of the small junction boxes with a sloping top. The cover isn't fully seated leaving some of the wiring exposed at the base - looks like someone has kicked it.

There doesn't seem to be any visual damage to the exposed cables, though.

Currently OH reports no 'On Demand' on the TV downstairs, my stb upstairs shows no return path & an IP of 0 0 0 0 - but the cable modem is working, albeit still showing upstream power at 61 ...

Peter_
22-08-2010, 16:17
I've just been out to have a look at the street box - one of the small junction boxes with a sloping top. The cover isn't fully seated leaving some of the wiring exposed at the base - looks like someone has kicked it.

There doesn't seem to be any visual damage to the exposed cables, though.

Currently OH reports no 'On Demand' on the TV downstairs, my stb upstairs shows no return path & an IP of 0 0 0 0 - but the cable modem is working, albeit still showing upstream power at 61 ...
It will need that engineer visit and should help with thre On demand.;)

Nedkelly
22-08-2010, 21:28
Have your services come back up ? :)

gazfan
22-08-2010, 21:47
Have your services come back up ? :)

Things have been a little more stable, today. Internet access has been working & the ready light is steady, despite the upstream power level still showing at 61.

On Demand is working for the downstairs TV on a SA V+ box, but not upstairs on a Samsung 2100.

- thanks for asking :)

<edit> - update, the upstairs on demand is working now I've re-booted the box :)

TommyTomTom
25-08-2010, 15:13
I read this thread around the time I initially created my own regarding my flashing ready light and modem problem, and I've just realised what STB stands for, set top box right? Because the light on mine was flashing as well, and I'm guessing we're experiencing a similar problem, but I don't know whether we're both in the DN35 area.

catfood49
25-08-2010, 19:25
I live in DN33 (Grimsby) and have been having intermitent Internet issues for about a week now. Haven't checked the lights on my modem or checking the upload or download speeds but notice net will drop out for a few seconds on occassions.

Spoke to Virgin Media few days ago and they said I was using an old modem (old NTL World Cable modem) so they sent me out a new one today. Since then I am not able to connect to the Internet through my wireless route (Netgear WGR614v5), I am having to connect to the modem directly. Phoned up VM again and they said seeing as the Internet works directly connected it must be a router issue despite the fact that I have net connection using my old modem.

Anyone any thoughts/recommendations?
gazfan - have you noticed any changes in your speeds?