PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media hub and firewall

gadge
21-08-2010, 13:44
I have one of the virgin media hubs does it have a firewall built in to it?.As at the moment i have turned on windows fire wall if the hub does have a firewall is it wise to turn of the windows firewall? thanks.

kwikbreaks
21-08-2010, 14:22
I don't know if it has an SPI firewall but it will use NAT as all routers do and that offers some protection from inbound threats. There is no need to disable the Windows firewall - it still offers the protection of (hopefully) stopping malware from making an outgoing connection.

cli70488
24-08-2010, 15:32
Following Computer initial Switch-on and using the PC GUARD of Virginmedia has resulted in my access to programmes, Email etc. taking up to an annoying 10 minutes whilst waiting for the PCG Security to load. Having now removed PCGuard from the installed programmes, the Computer is much faster at initial Startup and it seems that, as others have said, PCG can be a real problem at loading, and one tends to blame the Computer or the Broadband speed, wrongly.

It follows that I now need to install cover for "Anti Virus" and I ask if I need to use either Norton or Mcafee or can anyone suggest a suitable alternative and are they more reasonable in the time they take to install.from switch-on.

The "Windows Firewall", already on the computer (XP), I imagine, is OK for its purpose.

oliver1948uk
24-08-2010, 15:49
Use Microsoft Security Essentials HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

deathtrap3000
24-08-2010, 15:54
Use Microsoft Security Essentials HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)
Thats anti spyware, virus and malware, not a firewall.

RainmakerRaw
25-08-2010, 03:43
It follows that I now need to install cover for "Anti Virus" and I ask if I need to use either Norton or Mcafee or can anyone suggest a suitable alternative and are they more reasonable in the time they take to install.from switch-on.

The "Windows Firewall", already on the computer (XP), I imagine, is OK for its purpose.

I have tested various anti-malware suites extensively in virtual environments lately, and I have to say that Comodo Internet Security has consistently performed best against zero-day malware threats. Matousec also gave Comodo a 100% award too (the only suite to achieve that mark).

Best of all? Comodo is free. :) It incorporates Defense+ (HIPS, which means you don't need to rely on signatures), cloud scanning, DDP (default deny protection) and an industry leading firewall.

I find Comodo uses around 6MB to 12MB of RAM on average - absolutely tiny. The scanning speed is brilliant, and impact on system resources non-existent.

cli70488
26-08-2010, 13:31
RainmakerRaw. Many thanks, most interesting and I shall go into Comodo.
As Virginmedia has been offline for the past 30 + hours and only just come back online I have had to wait for your and other items. Service has been pathetic, not even able to go for info. by telephone. Best wishes.