PDA

View Full Version : multiple routers, not working?

megatron
19-08-2010, 19:29
Hi guys, I have a virgin modem "Ambit" and router "netgear WGR614 v9". These were given to me by virgin and I can go the internet with them fine.
This gave me 2 different I.P address. I needed more, so I brought 20 used virgin wholesale "netgear WGR614 v9" from ebay.
However I can not go on line with any of them the global light is amber. I rang up virgin and told them that I have another router and the guy told me to reset the router from the back with a ball point pen then he did his magic and the amber light turned to green, I had a new IP. ;) I asked him what he did, and he said he paired up the router with the modem thats it.
But everytime I try to reset it it doesnt work, I logged into routerlogin site and where it should have the IP address subnet mask gatway it just says 000000.

Can some one here help me to get the other routers working again please. I have spent close to 24 hours on this and just keep getting the amber light.

Warm regards.

Ben B
19-08-2010, 19:31
:welcome:

When switching devices you need to turn off the modem at the mains, change the device connection and then turn it back on :)

megatron
19-08-2010, 19:34
Hi thanks for the "welcome", I shall give this a try and come back.
Thanks mate.

kwikbreaks
19-08-2010, 19:42
There was a thread here recently discussing this matter. You won't get more than 3 or 4 alternate IP addresses at any given time. Each time you get issued an IP you retain the lease for it until that lease expires (with VM that's a week I think) so the number is limited by VM.

All you need to do to get working again is go back to the last router that worked - the IP associated with it will still be live.

You really didn't need a barrow load of routers either as with many you can simply change the mac address (which is what leads to the different IP) through the gui.

Finally - you won't need to cheat the file hosters this way if you use jdownloader - it works very well completely unattended with free accounts but is obviously a bit slower.

megatron
19-08-2010, 19:43
Hi no that didnt work, the global light was still amber.

I went on routerlogin and got the same info:

Internet IP Address
IP Address 00000000
IP Subnet Mask 00000000
Gateway IP Address 00000000

Get Automatically From ISP thsi field was emply.

I think this is the issue as the routers that do get connected have these fields filled in.

Hugh
19-08-2010, 19:48
megatron, you should power down the modem, router, and PC, then power them up in this sequence

Modem (and wait until the "tick" light is steady before continuing)
Router (again wait for about 90 seconds after doing this)
PC

hth

megatron
19-08-2010, 19:49
There was a thread here recently discussing this matter. You won't get more than 3 or 4 alternate IP addresses at any given time. Each time you get issued an IP you retain the lease for it until that lease expires (with VM that's a week I think) so the number is limited by VM.

All you need to do to get working again is go back to the last router that worked - the IP associated with it will still be live.

You really didn't need a barrow load of routers either as with many you can simply change the mac address (which is what leads to the different IP) through the gui.

Finally - you won't need to cheat the file hosters this way if you use jdownloader - it works very well completely unattended with free accounts but is obviously a bit slower.

Hummm so this means I have used up my 3 I.P, so the only other way to get more I.Ps is to get another line?

I dont want to keep changing mac address, I need to have them all there so that I can have 10 different accounts on 1 site.

Thanks for the info mate :)

Peter_
19-08-2010, 20:24
Hummm so this means I have used up my 3 I.P, so the only other way to get more I.Ps is to get another line?

I dont want to keep changing mac address, I need to have them all there so that I can have 10 different accounts on 1 site.

Thanks for the info mate :)
It cannot be done as you will have filled the host table on the uBR and I think what you are doing would also be in breach of Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions.

So your purchase has done nothing except give you 20 spare routers as only one device at a time can go online via a Virgin Media connection.

megatron
19-08-2010, 20:25
megatron, you should power down the modem, router, and PC, then power them up in this sequence

Modem (and wait until the "tick" light is steady before continuing)
Router (again wait for about 90 seconds after doing this)
PC

hth

Hi mate, no just tried this and it didnt work either.

Is there a way that I can get virgin to let me have more I.Ps? I will pay for it not asking for a freebi. It will be eised then having 3 or 4 different connections.

Peter_
19-08-2010, 20:29
Hi mate, no just tried this and it didnt work either.

Is there a way that I can get virgin to let me have more I.Ps? I will pay for it not asking for a freebi. It will be eised then having 3 or 4 different connections.
You can only have one IP per account at any one time.

megatron
19-08-2010, 20:29
It cannot be done as you will have filled the host table on the uBR and I think what you are doing would also be in breach of Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions.

So your purchase has done nothing except give you 20 spare routers as only one device at a time can go online via a Virgin Media connection.

Hi yes I only want 1 to go on line at a time but need to have around 10 working routers that I could swap out and and keep rotating.

The reason for this is so I can have 10 different **** accounts, that are not linked, as when 1 goes down they all will if they are linked. However if I'm using different routers then they will not be linked.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Peter_
19-08-2010, 20:32
Hi yes I only want 1 to go on line at a time but need to have around 10 working routers that I could swap out and and keep rotating.

The reason for this is so I can have 10 different **** accounts, that are not linked, as when 1 goes down they all will if they are linked. However if I'm using different routers then they will not be linked.

Thanks for the help guys. :)
As I said above you will be lucky to get more than 3 or 4 working IP's per day and you may get yourself noticed by the Abuse Team if you keep switching equipment.

megatron
19-08-2010, 20:39
Hummmm thanks Masque,

I know this all must sound strange and it usually means somethings wrong somewhere. However I asure you I'm not hidding my footsteps, its just I'm trying to safeguard my accounts and not have them linked in any way.
I guess the only other way would be dongles from the other internet providers.

Once again thanks for all your help guys.

Peter_
19-08-2010, 20:41
Hummmm thanks Masque,

I know this all must sound strange and it usually means somethings wrong somewhere. However I asure you I'm not hidding my footsteps, its just I'm trying to safeguard my accounts and not have them linked in any way.
I guess the only other way would be dongles from the other internet providers.

Once again thanks for all your help guys.
Dongles would be the way to go and you could sell some routers to help fund them.;)

Much simpler and stops you from waving a flag letting the Abuse Team know the is something going on which may be completely innocent but not in their eyes.

kwikbreaks
20-08-2010, 09:46
something going on which may be completely innocent
I really am having difficulty coming up with any innocent need for this.

Non-innocent reasons yes but innocent :shrug:

Peter_
20-08-2010, 09:52

Which is why I mentioned the Abuse Team as his actions will probably flag his account for closer inspection.

Virgin Media Acceptable Use Policy (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html)section 3. Use of the Services (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html)

AbyssUnderground
20-08-2010, 12:10
If you want to use 10 routers at different times, then set them to the same MAC address so the cable modem knows no different.

Peter_
20-08-2010, 12:18
If you want to use 10 routers at different times, then set them to the same MAC address so the cable modem knows no different.
He wants multiple MAC addresses up to 10 so that will not give him what he wants but would be amusing to try.:D

megatron
21-08-2010, 15:56

LOL I dont blame you, well what I want to do is a bit gray hat.
Ok so I got a few cheap 16GB usb's from china, I dont usualy sell these I sell Body piercing Jewellery.
Now I'm not that computer sawy as you may have guessed, lol. It turns out that those 16GB memory sticks were really 1GB, made to look like 16 GB :(
I only found when I had my customers start disputes.
As a result my 3 ebay accounts were all suspended. I lost my daly income from around £60-70 to £0 :mad:
Even though I refunded all my buyers I still can not get my paypal and my ebay accounts reinstated!!!!

This made me look around as to how I can get back on ebay and make money again. I learnt that they likn all accounts via I.P among other things. So this is why I need to have different I.P's so my new accounts do not get linked. If ever in the future 1 of my accounts do go down I will still have the others to relay on ;)

I thik this is innocent enough, I just want to go back to selling what I know best "Body piercing Jewellery", and stay clear of any gadgets in the future :(

Warm regards.

kwikbreaks
21-08-2010, 16:14
You may want to buy a few houses and open a few extra bank accounts and credit cards too then.

megatron
21-08-2010, 16:33
You may want to buy a few houses and open a few extra bank accounts and credit cards too then.

No need to buy extar houses, P.O Boxes will do ;)
I already have quite a few back accounts, so no problems there.
VCC are a God sent, the only issue I had was I.P but the way around that is dongles from the other ISP. It would have been nice to have it all under Virgin, but no worries, as I have 3 routers working with different I.P's.

Thanks again for your help guys.

pip08456
21-08-2010, 18:20
Providing one checks what one is selling and describes it correctly there is no need for more than one Fleabay account, nor one IP address nor one bank account.