PDA

View Full Version : XL Services <> XL Services

rockland
18-08-2010, 21:16
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help if anyone out there could provide assistance.

I live in Stafford and have just upgraded from the 10mb service to the 20mb services, initially out of curiosity. The is because, on 10mb, my connection has fluctuated between 500k and 6mb for over 2 months. I wanted to see what would happen if i upgraded.

So, I have now upgraded and at first was getting 13mb. I am now getting 3mb.

I have called customer services and spent 53 minutes on the phone! They have credited my account and confirmed that the problem would be fixed within 24 hours.

It's not fixed and my speed continues to fluctuate, however I am getting around 8mb-10mb, on a 20mb services.

I wouldn't post on here if I wasn't desperate. I just feel like I'm getting absolutely no where with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

My information is as follows:

Post Code: ST18
Modem: Wired
Router: 3COM Wirless, but all test conducted whilst wired directly to the modem.

Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1015
Hardware Version : 1.19

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5056.941 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access :
Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate :
Maximum Upstream Data Rate :
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst :
Maximum Number of CPEs :
Modem Capability :
Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

Ben B
18-08-2010, 21:20
Your downstream power level looks a little high to me? Could do with an attenuator or an engineer to decrease the level in the cab. If you are getting nowhere with VM on the phone you could post on http://community.virginmedia.com with the issues you have been having, they have 2nd line support on there which will be able to assist and book an engineer if required :)

rockland
18-08-2010, 21:34
OK, thanks for the quick reply mate. I'll post on there now to see whether anyone responds.

It's so frustrating. Like others, I just want a stable service. I want to stream a SD Def YouTube video without it buffering half way though ! :-(

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

VM registration page not responding = Blood pressure getting higher !

kwikbreaks
18-08-2010, 23:50
I've seen seen Upstream Modulation : QPSK mentioned as a source of concern here before too (but it means nowt to me).

pip08456
19-08-2010, 03:06
I've seen seen Upstream Modulation : QPSK mentioned as a source of concern here before too (but it means nowt to me).

It means there is an upstream problem

There is an upstream problem in your area. Hopefully they'll get it fixed toute suite.

For future reference for others, you can tell there's an upstream problem by this:

The Advanced Spectrum Management (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/cable/cmts/feature/guide/ufg_spec.html) has had to kick in and downgrade the upstream to QPSK as the network is currently not able to support 16QAM in that area.

kwikbreaks
19-08-2010, 07:26
Yes I'd read that but it still means nowt to me other than there is a problem :)