PDA

View Full Version : Virgin wont install in bedsit

jamiepowell
16-08-2010, 18:35
Hey peeps i rung up virgin media today due to them emailing me and saying that there is already a virgin customer registered to my address so i phoned and explained that i live in a bedsit and they say due to me sharing a bathroom or kitchen they cannot install it for me, So due to me not living in a normal house like normal people im not entitled to there service is that correct or is there a real reason i cant have it any help much appreciated as when i spoke to them they couldnt explain why it couldnt be fitted just that its in there guidlines and they wont do it

MovedGoalPosts
16-08-2010, 18:40
Most bedsit type accommodation is considered short term for the occupants. After all most will want to move to somewhere more private if they can. Virgin Media would be concerned about the security of their contract, normally wanting a 12 month minimum contract to ensure the costs of their installation are going to be rewarded over that period.

I'd speak to the landlord of the property. He might be able to get the existing service extended to you, for a share of the bills. Otherwise getting the computer systems of VM to accept two different accounts in one postal address building is a near impossibility.

alferret
16-08-2010, 20:23
They did for me when my ex decided to play the field and I got kicked out. I was in a bedsit (shared kitchen\batroom\lounge) & they had no issues with installing for me & they spent 2hrs sorting it out as they had to go from the cellar to the 1st floor. I had phone, TV & BB installed. This was just over 5 years ago, try phoning again the next advisor may be a little more helpful.

Spann3r
16-08-2010, 20:26
I have done planty of installs in bedsits. They do all come down to my pda as Flats

Peter_
16-08-2010, 20:29
If you are not on the Royal Mail address list then you will have to write a letter to them with all your details requesting them to put your address on the list.

What you need to do is contact Royal Mail Address Maintenance via this link HERE (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400120&mediaId=9200078#30400249)

Or you can try ringing the Royal Mail directly on 08457 740 740.

Then you can can follow the Spotters link below.

The link to the Spotters Form is below, but the property has to be listed on the Royal Mail Addresses List first in order for services to be billed, which seems to be the case here, one of my colleagues is in the same boat and has had to do the above in order to get services to his property.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/webs...otters-form.do (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/register/spotters-form.do)

BenMcr
16-08-2010, 20:54
This was just over 5 years ago
The policy has since changed - Virgin will now only install to registered addresses, and will only install one residential account per address

jamiepowell
16-08-2010, 21:38
Thanks for all your responses i have contacted them again and spoke to a superviser and she is sending an engineer out to see what they can do but wouldnt guarantee any thing, I will let you know how it goes, Many thanks

Peter_
16-08-2010, 21:59
Thanks for all your responses i have contacted them again and spoke to a superviser and she is sending an engineer out to see what they can do but wouldnt guarantee any thing, I will let you know how it goes, Many thanks
I would check with Royal Mail to ensure that you are actually listed as a standalone address as otherwise no chance as per my colleague.

jungleguy
16-08-2010, 22:45
jamiepowell sorry VM policy is one account to one property .... a separate room is not a separate property. You'll have to share, not only your bathroom and kitchen, but cable products.

jb66
17-08-2010, 00:23
jamiepowell sorry VM policy is one account to one property .... a separate room is not a separate property. You'll have to share, not only your bathroom and kitchen, but cable products.

Plus it works out cheaper to share

watzizname
19-08-2010, 08:55
Well i live in a room, my landlady has been a VM customer since they were diamond cable, and VM have not had any issues providing me with a seperate BB account.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33667873-coming-back-free-installation.html#11

My mail uses the same address and letterbox as my landlady too, so i'm doubting my room is registered as a seperate address.

They delivered the "Box Of Tricks" yesterday, and i'm using the hub as i type this.

BenMcr
19-08-2010, 12:36
I did a bit of digging on this and it seems there has been a limited multiple account trial - to see if it can be done properly without it affecting internal systems or capacity.

This has now finished and the results are being looked at. Whether this will end up as a full policy change and what the criteria will be hasn't been decided yet

agoodtech
20-08-2010, 22:01
I had similar agro a few years back, just say it is 120(or watever your house number), but say it is Flat 2 or B.

Worked for me.

BenMcr
22-08-2010, 15:30
I had similar agro a few years back, just say it is 120(or watever your house number), but say it is Flat 2 or B.

Worked for me.That used to work but won't now