PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations...

Jacktherat
12-08-2010, 09:52
............you have won a free holiday in Florida.

Is there any way to stop these automated nuisance calls?

I immediately hang up when I hear the first "congratulations" but they sometimes tie up my line for up to 5 minutes and they are always 'number withheld'.

Kymmy
12-08-2010, 10:00
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2009/07/nuisance.pdf

Currently I'm getting the recorded Debt managment calls, pressing a number on the keypad a lot of times gets you through to a real person, from there I got a company name of "Pure Debt Solutions" so will be contacting ofcom with a complaint about these people

Jacktherat
12-08-2010, 10:27
It's always a temptation to respond to the "dial 9 NOW" mantra but the fear I have is that it will lock me in to an expensive minimum cost call.

Kymmy
12-08-2010, 11:13
Always wanted to know the answer to this but surely by pressing 9 they can not reverse the charges or charge you for recieving the call???

Jacktherat
12-08-2010, 11:53
I'm sure when I first subscribed to Telewest, there was a paid for option for number withheld calls to be blocked. I might try that.

I'm subscribed to the Telephone Preference thingummy but the unsolicited cold calls I get are invariably number withheld and when I do interrrupt the caller with this information, they immediately hang up.
It's amazing the amount of competitions I seem to win for home improvements too.

Gimme the cash.

Pauls9
12-08-2010, 12:51
The Telephone Preference Service seems to work quite well for UK calls, but there's an increasing number of overseas cold calls - "number unavailable".:mad:

Kymmy
12-08-2010, 12:56
The debt management place which calls us is based I believe in Wales... Does that count as abroad?? ;)

Pauls9
12-08-2010, 13:08
Sounds foreign enough to me. I once took my daughter and her friend to another country - Cardiff and the Bit Pit mine. Good times. :)

Digital Fanatic
12-08-2010, 13:36
The debt management place which calls us is based I believe in Wales... Does that count as abroad?? ;)

Go get 'em! They will be in deep doo doo for those type of calls for sure.

v0id
12-08-2010, 13:45
I'm sure when I first subscribed to Telewest, there was a paid for option for number withheld calls to be blocked. I might try that.

It's called 'anonymouse caller reject' and it's £2.50,
Quite good value as the same service is over £4 with BT. But it doesn't stop these 'Congratulaitons..' type of calls, as most of them spoof the caller ID.

Jacktherat
12-08-2010, 17:33
It's called 'anonymouse caller reject' and it's £2.50,
Quite good value as the same service is over £4 with BT. But it doesn't stop these 'Congratulaitons..' type of calls, as most of them spoof the caller ID.

Noted, thanks.

FairyFairy
12-08-2010, 19:52
I've lost count of how many holidays I have won ... loads and loads.

Blinking people!!

I hear a foreign voice and hang up now (sorry for any genuine foreign voices)

wwe
13-08-2010, 00:25
i get lots of people ringing up on mine asking for so many different people i keep telling them they got the wrong number and people still keep ringing

vanman
13-08-2010, 22:57
try this The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Recorded messages - your permission is needed!
If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing voice recorded messages down your telephone line, and you have not given prior consent to receive such messages, you can ask the marketer to stop sending these.

They are legally obliged to act upon your request.

However if you are still receiving such calls (or it is not possible to ask the company to stop sending these types of messages) you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). They are the government body responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Please note complaints about text messages and automated voice recordings are covered by new regulations overseen by the ICO. For more information please see their website www.ico.gov.uk or phone helpline on 01625 545745

Peter_
13-08-2010, 23:17
i get lots of people ringing up on mine asking for so many different people i keep telling them they got the wrong number and people still keep ringing
If that continues to happen then ring up your provider to complain and if necessary change your number, have you had the number long.

Kymmy
14-08-2010, 00:08
try this http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Which doesn't work for most companies as these don't care (as in the case of pure debt solutions) or are abroad so are not covered by ofcom rules

vanman
14-08-2010, 00:14
Which doesn't work for most companies as these don't care (as in the case of pure debt solutions) or are abroad so are not covered by ofcom rules

13. Will registering on the TPS stop unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas?
Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas you should contact the overseas company who is making the call.

danielf
14-08-2010, 00:28
I used to get a couple of these every week, but things have gone very quiet after registering with the TPS (allowing for a 'training period' of a month or two). Reading this thread just reminded me of how annoying these call were and made me realise that it's been ages since I had one.

:touchwood:

vanman
14-08-2010, 01:32
and as far as them debt collectors go just refuse to answer the security questions. they can not talk to you about anything with out you confirming your details.

"I'm unable to answer any data questions, as I have and will never discussed my personal affairs on the telephone due to security. I therefore only conduct my financial affairs in writing, so that both parties have a written and tangible record of activity in the matter. So if you can send me a letter, I will of course respond to you. Thank you for your call ... Goodbye". All said nice and polite :D

Kymmy
14-08-2010, 11:17
13. Will registering on the TPS stop unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas?
Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas you should contact the overseas company who is making the call.

And what powers does ofcom have in stopping the overseas calls.... NON...

My home phone and business phone have been on TPS for many a year and yes it has stopped about 50% of the calls but even after many complaints to ofcom there are (and I'll repeat myself) "Companies who don't care"

JayAy
14-08-2010, 15:06
My home phone and business phone have been on TPS for many a year and yes it has stopped about 50% of the calls...

My experience with TPS is completely opposite to yours - registered many years ago and have had none of the crap calls since. Even with your situation, 50% less crap calls is better than before you registered. I'd advise anyone who gets these calls to their personal numbers, and doesn't want to receive them, to register on TPS. http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps

Kymmy
14-08-2010, 15:09
I never said TPS wasn't worth it, just that there are a lot of companies who either don't care or outside of the ofcom catchment area.. If your number gets on one of their lists then you will get calls :(

Pity there's not a spam filter style system where you can add their number (hidden or not) to your block list