PDA

View Full Version : Virgin HD being installed tomorrow

jackster109
11-08-2010, 17:54
Hi

Im having Virgin HD tv installed tomorrow, I already have my telephone and broadbrand through them, so I already have the box inside the house.

I live in a terraced house with an extension built on the back. My lounge is the extension and my tv is on the wall. I don't have any leads showing as I have a socket behind the TV.

I don't want any cables tacked onto my skirting boards going through my dining room into the lounge (where the cable box is) and then have a cable running up to the virginbox.

All I want is for him to setup the box so that I have the TV channels. I want to do the rest myself. My plans are to run the cable up my front wall through the weatherboard and into the attic and run it across the attic back down through the other side along the extension and drill a hole where the tv is.

Do anybody think I will any problem with what i want to do and how easy is it get hold of the cable to complete the job?

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
11-08-2010, 18:04
If you ask the installer nicely, he might be willing to just leave you with a very very long lenght of cable, connected at one end to the cable system and the other end to your nice "shiny" new STB. He might well be happy as he doesn't have to spend time running the cable round the house, clipping it, etc. You'd have the cable all premade, and you can then just route it how you want at a later date. In the short term it can be coiled up out of the way, and if when you do route it there is excess length just leave that excess coiled in your loft. Biggest advantage you don't have to worry about putting the correct ends onto the cable, as the installer would have done that bit to leave the STB in working order.

jackster109
11-08-2010, 18:10
Are the cable plugs on the ends easy to take off and refit? To allow me to only drill a hole the size of the cable.

Thanks

v0id
11-08-2010, 22:21
Why not just tell the engineer how and where you want it installed, and that you'll do the hard graft of taking the cable upto/through the loft so all he has to do is stand there and feed you the cable

bw41101
11-08-2010, 22:52
Are the cable plugs on the ends easy to take off and refit? To allow me to only drill a hole the size of the cable.

Thanks

No, the connector (F type) is crimped on to the cable. To remove it you would have to cut it off - which would render it useless. I would recommend that you determine the route of the cable through your property beforehand and then ask the installer if they would comply with your wishes regarding the installation.

Also, remember that YOU are the customer, so don't be fobbed off with the installer attempting to take short cuts for an easy installation, though they're usually pretty good and try (within reason) to comply with the customers wishes. ;)

Good luck and Si thee. :Sprint:

jackster109
12-08-2010, 18:38
Hi guys, just an update on what happened with my install today.

The guy came today and was here for about 25 mins in total. I told him about my situation and that I eventually want to run the cable through the attic and back down the side of my external wall and drill a hole through. So, he has left the cable loose and got everything up and running. He was also kind enough to leave me enough cable to finsh the job myself and two connectors as well.

Happy Days!!

Digital Fanatic
13-08-2010, 18:01
Hi guys, just an update on what happened with my install today.

The guy came today and was here for about 25 mins in total. I told him about my situation and that I eventually want to run the cable through the attic and back down the side of my external wall and drill a hole through. So, he has left the cable loose and got everything up and running. He was also kind enough to leave me enough cable to finsh the job myself and two connectors as well.

Happy Days!!

Nice one :)