PDA

View Full Version : Second TV

turkeytrot
08-08-2010, 19:01
The previous owner of my house ran the Virgin aerial cable (by using a cable joiner) from its initial input position (i.e. where Virgin enters the house) to the other side of the room inside the wall cavity, which then provided a signal for a TV/set-top box in that location. I now want to operate a TV/Virgin HD at the original input location and also run a second TV (also using Virgin HD) from the other aerial wall socket. I'm quite happy to receive the same channel on each TV. Will I need a second box?

Thanks

BillJ

Scrubbs
08-08-2010, 22:44
I think the installers will sort out that if you are having a new box installed.........or are you installing it yourself with a box you have just bought or are thinking of buying?

turkeytrot
08-08-2010, 23:02
Thanks 'Scrubbs'. Virgin are doing the installation next week - but I'm planning ahead! The question really revolves around whether I will need another box or not. I'm pretty sure I will because the cabling in the wall must carry an undecoded signal whereas the (second) TV will require a decoded signal which can only be provided by a set-top box.

BillJ

Scrubbs
08-08-2010, 23:16
you could go the digi sender (google or search the forum:)) route if you don't mind seeing the same channel on both tv's, it means you only need one stb

jb66
09-08-2010, 07:22
The installers wont touch it, there not paid to, plus if you get a samsung v+ or a cisco (which you probably will) it wont have an ariel out so you'll need an av sender or another box

turkeytrot
09-08-2010, 10:41
Thanks jb66, but why can't Virgin simply 'splice' the input aerial cable at its point of entry into the room? One side of the splice would go to the set-top box in the normal way, and the other would connect to the in-cavity cable that I have which terminates at the other side of the room. I'm sure I'll need another set-top box at that point to decode the signal, but I don't understand why you think that Virgin won't touch it.

BillJ

Dave_
09-08-2010, 15:56
Thanks jb66, but why can't Virgin simply 'splice' the input aerial cable at its point of entry into the room? One side of the splice would go to the set-top box in the normal way, and the other would connect to the in-cavity cable that I have which terminates at the other side of the room. I'm sure I'll need another set-top box at that point to decode the signal, but I don't understand why you think that Virgin won't touch it.

BillJ

If your having 2 boxes installed the installer might use your existing cable if its virgin standard. If its only 1 box he will disconnect the un-needed cable.

jb66
09-08-2010, 19:40
Sorry I thaught you wanted the installer to setup 2 tbs from one box. If it can carry a good signal and you want two boxes it will be fine

uktigger
10-08-2010, 19:43

BillJ

It's not an aerial cable in the traditional sense - it carries digital signals from the broadband network (albeit on a different frequency) which need to be decoded by a set top box with a smart card.

It is not designed to go directly into a TV (although that was an unadvertised byproduct of the old analogue system, which has been pretty much turned off now.)

Only way to get to a 2nd TV is (as mentioned earlier in this thread) to either have a 2nd box and card, or get a digisender which takes it's signal from the VCR scart (as TV scart is disabled when using HDMI) and distributes it as required.

I understand that virgin will, on an install, put cables in to wherever you want the boxes to go, but won't do anything with cabling that is aready there, because more often than not, it's not the correct type of cable for the job and is likely to introduce noise onto the network, which will cause issues for many.

turkeytrot
13-08-2010, 19:35
Thanks guys for your replies. Virgin came yesterday and were actually able to use the cable that was in my wall cavity without any problem at all. By 'splitting' the signal at its input point into the house, I now have two active terminals (one on each side of the room), so I'm pleased with the end result. Obviously, I need two set-top boxes but that's OK.

BillJ