PDA

View Full Version : Decided not to upgrade to 50Mbps as an oik.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 08:27
The fairly small difference in pricing between 50Mbps and 20Mbps led me to enquire about an upgrade even though I have no real need for 50Mbps.

I started out on the VM website where after several questions rather than costing information and an order form I was presented with an 0800 number to call.

On calling the number I got a pretty fast response and details were taken from me. I was given some prices then told I had to be transferred. After quite a while listening to something I assume is called music by VM someone else asked for exactly the same information that the first person did. I was then given some different (but I think more correct) prices and told about the £20 upgrade fee which I was aware of but also that there is an additional £35 installation charge.

I'd have paid the extra £8 a month. I'd have paid the £20 which I assume is for the modem. I baulked at another £35 though as £55 up front is imo too much.

I'm guessing the charge is standard but wondering if there is any known way to avoid it?

Has anyone tried the I'm leaving to go to BT Infinity because they are cheaper and don't charge up front approach? (I can't as I'm still in minimum contract and BT haven't installed FTTC yet here).

Peter_
08-08-2010, 08:33
This below is taken from HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

General: Installation charges apply (starting from £35 for standard installation and, subject to availability). An additional £20 activation fee is payable for 50Mb Broadband. Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT. These terms and conditions are in addition to and form part of our standard customer service contract.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 08:36
If I'd gone to that page of the VM site instead of the one I did I could have saved myself half an hour because there was no mention of it that I saw on the route I took via My VM.

VM could have save a couple of their reps some time too if they made the upfront charges more prominent

dan dority
08-08-2010, 08:40
contact the vm twitter team and they will get someone from vm to phone you and get you the upgrade without paying £35 installation fee

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 09:20
Thanks for the tip - I'll get an account and give it a whirl.

pip08456
08-08-2010, 09:25
Has anyone tried the I'm leaving to go to BT Infinity because they are cheaper and don't charge up front approach? (I can't as I'm still in minimum contract and BT haven't installed FTTC yet here).

Yes, I did and did not have to pay the £55

dan dority
08-08-2010, 09:29
Thanks for the tip - I'll get an account and give it a whirl.

i ve never used twitter either it took me a few goes to get it .
all youve got to do is register with twitter and then send an email to twitter@virginmedia.co.uk with your address and phone number explaining your having trouble upgrading your vip bundle without paying the £35 installation fee.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 09:46
I (or rather my browser) remembered I registered an account ages back. I've emailed but didn't include my details. Will wait to see what comes back. I'm not a VIP sfaik just an oik as per title.

I originally paid £35 for them to run cable, drill holes and fix boxes so didn't mind the charge but I can't see they'll need to do much more than deliver a modem and check the levels are OK this time around and I'm not coughing up £55 for that on principal.

dan dority
08-08-2010, 09:57
I (or rather my browser) remembered I registered an account ages back. I've emailed but didn't include my details. Will wait to see what comes back. I'm not a VIP sfaik just an oik as per title.

I originally paid £35 for them to run cable, drill holes and fix boxes so didn't mind the charge but I can't see they'll need to do much more than deliver a modem and check the levels are OK this time around and I'm not coughing up £55 for that on principal.

sorry buddy i misred your post i thought you were already a vip.

i dont know what oik stands for lol:erm:

Peter_
08-08-2010, 10:37
If I'd gone to that page of the VM site instead of the one I did I could have saved myself half an hour because there was no mention of it that I saw on the route I took via My VM.

VM could have save a couple of their reps some time too if they made the upfront charges more prominent
I just went to http://www.virginmedia.com/ and clicked on the grey link at the top of the page which says VirginBroadband, TV and Phone and then clicked the 50Mb broadband link, it is all available on the website.

To be honest I would wait until tomorrow and call in on 150 and speak to Sales as they should be able to give you the best deal, if you do not have a Virginmedia phone line then call on 0845 454 1111 and agsin choose Sales.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 10:47
I don't doubt that the info is littered all over different VM websites but as I said I didn't see anything about installation charges following the "Upgrade your Broadband" link from the My VM page. I'd already seen the £20 charge mentioned somewhere before.

Thanks for the suggestion to call sales but it seems clear now that this is a standard charge and one I'm unwilling to pay. If nothing comes from the email to the twitter team I'll just leave things as they are until renewal time when there may be a viable BT alternative open to me and I'll make a decision which way to go then.

Peter_
08-08-2010, 10:52
I don't doubt that the info is littered all over different VM websites but as I said I didn't see anything about installation charges following the "Upgrade your Broadband" link from the My VM page. I'd already seen the £20 charge mentioned somewhere before.

Thanks for the suggestion to call sales but it seems clear now that this is a standard charge and one I'm unwilling to pay. If nothing comes from the email to the twitter team I'll just leave things as they are until renewal time when there may be a viable BT alternative open to me and I'll make a decision which way to go then.
If you ring up and speak to an agent you will get the best deal available give it a try.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 10:58
I already spoke to two agents.

It may suit VM to behave like sellers at a car boot stall and haggle with potential buyers but I have better things to do with my time. If there is a guaranteed easy route to avoid paying what I regard to be an excessive charge I'll use it but I'm not willing to endure more of that interminable "music" only to be offered the same deal.

pip08456
08-08-2010, 12:34
I already spoke to two agents.

It may suit VM to behave like sellers at a car boot stall and haggle with potential buyers but I have better things to do with my time. If there is a guaranteed easy route to avoid paying what I regard to be an excessive charge I'll use it but I'm not willing to endure more of that interminable "music" only to be offered the same deal.

May I refer you to post 6.

Found my post about it

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33663909-50mb-install-free.html

OK it wasn't trouble free but was done and I'm still enjoying it.

kwikbreaks
08-08-2010, 15:19
Yes I saw your post thanks but I have around 8 months of the minimum contract still to run - plus there is no BT Infinity here yet or possibly even at all so that option has to be saved til later.

ferretuk
08-08-2010, 15:40

In my experience (and seemingly that of many others as well), the £35 covers plugging the modem and in and checking the service 'works'. Checking levels doen't come in to it...

Check out the number of posts on here (and the official support forum) along the lines of "I've just had the service installed and see that my levels are >6dB" The response is always "You need an engineer out to sort this". Of course if the installation tech checked the levels on install it would save a vist and having to wait in

kwikbreaks
09-08-2010, 16:59
I got a response from the twitter team...

With our 50MB installs there is an initial £35.00 installation fee, this covers an engineer visit, an improved modem and router, and a USB adapter to boost your connection. The additional £20.00 is an activation fee is for us to move your service from your current broadband port, to our 50MB port which currently has no traffic management policy.

This is something we feel is a fair price for a great service and helps us maintain the service in the long run.

Well VM think it's a fair price and I don't so I guess things will just remain as they are for now. I suppose that part of the problem is that I attach zero value to the router and dongle and don't even want them as they will just be more junk I have to store.