PDA

View Full Version : I know you get loads of these, but help please?

Joke.
02-08-2010, 22:22
In short, we've had issues with our broadband for as long as I can remember, maybe close to six months now. Over the past six months we've made a few calls to Virgin Media, most of which have been unhelpful, usually just the run of the mill restart your modem, shut down your computer and the same old, seemingly scripted responses.

Following an area fault running last week, we called Virgin, the fault was fixed on the same night we reported it, albeit after a week since it started. Admittedly, we should have called Virgin to report the fault on the first day but didn't really have high hopes of Virgin accepting it was a network fault until the whole street had called, so figured our call was not worth the time.

Anyhow, tonight we decided to get our internet fixed, hopefully once and for all. We've been getting between 1.2-3mbps (download) and a wonderful 0.8mbps (upload) for the past couple of weeks, tonight was no different. My sister was unable to connect and play on Xbox Live, I was left unable to watch Tv on Tvcatchup.com. Enough was enough.

An hour of my call being transferred from Broadband technical support to a dead line, then from broadband technical support to customer services, then customer services to broadband technical support to Virgin conveniently dropping the call to the main menu.

On top of a five minute rant from a broadband "support" technician telling me I shouldn't have restarted my laptop but rather shut it down and powered it on again. He wouldn't accept that this was pedantic and didn't make any difference.
Then I was told we would be sent out a replacement router, even though I'd have already tried a Virgin Media supplied Netgear router which made no difference but yet I was still asked to pay £50 and worse he guaranteed that this would solve the problem.
Then he suggested we upgraded our package, and told that this would solve our issues,- yet again, i refused. I'm currently receiving less than 80% of the advertised speed.
Then it was suggested that an engineer should be booked but then I was told if he did so i'd be billed £35.
After going back to broadband support, I was told:

Using a router was to blame for the appling download/upload speed. (To which I explained it would effect the speed somewhat but not this dramatically unless it was not operating normally, but I am certain it is after trying another router but still having the same issues. He then gave me a cast iron promise that spending £50 on this new router would fix the issue, ofcourse what absolute bollox.).
Asked to directly connect the cable modem to the Xbox. (To which I explained would not work).

What a joke.
Help anyone?

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
10242000 bits/sec
Power Level
-5.5 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
34.8 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
22200000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Symbol Rate
514000 bits/sec
Power Level
40.0 dBmV

AbyssUnderground
03-08-2010, 12:37
Downstream is a little low, and could cause the problems you are explaining. Do you have an attenuator on the back of the modem? If so, try removing it. It's a little metal box with a small dB rating on it's sticker. This should increase the signal levels slightly.

jb66
03-08-2010, 13:57
Have you tried it hard wired, if not then you'll never get an engineer. You have to rule out a router entirely as it could be a wireless signal issue/interference.