PDA

View Full Version : Snails pace broadband

Fufanu
31-07-2010, 23:16
Hi all

I thought I would ask here before I ring tech support. I first noticed a problem a couple of weeks ago when nearly every video's on youtube and anyother video sharing site I tried to watch would have serious buffering issues, it would buffer fine till about 1/4 to half way and then just stop buffering or would buffer extremely slow. I would have to stop it just after the video started and let it buffer till the end which could take anything up to 20 minutes. I didnt think much of it at first (as annoying as it was) and put it down to throteling or that I had bin capped for some reason, Steam had a sale on so I was downloading a few games at upto 7 gig each.

Over the last week the problems been spreading to all other aspects of the internet. Websites are loading very slowly and gaming is almost a no go, Counter strike is pinging servers from 1000ms to 1800ms, Modern Warfare 2 I give up on trying after it keeps trying to find games with less than 110ms.

Before this started I was use to playing games with nice low pings (20-25 on averge for counter strike) and MW2 finding games on the first search of under 50ms. Speedtest.net vary from 3mb to about 8mb and pingtest.net came back with 3000+ ping (cant remember the jitter) and could'nt give a packet loss result.

Ive got Virgin Media's 20mb broadband package and despite all the bad press they've got I've never had any problems till now and its really starting to annoy.

Can anyone suggest any solutions or is it just a case of having to ring tech support, cause chances are there not going to know what there on about.

Here is my modem stat's to help things along.

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address :
Serial Number :
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1015
Hardware Version : 1.19
Acquire a Downstream Channel 330750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -12.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.8 dB
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Also my modems three blinking lights are flashing constantly which says to ive got constant traffic coming in but I dont know.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any suggestions.

moaningmags
31-07-2010, 23:18
Have you installed any programs that allow you to download? Do you leave it running after you finish the download?
Your upstream power level is too high at 58dBmV.

Matt-08
31-07-2010, 23:21
Downstream looks low too.

Fufanu
31-07-2010, 23:35
The only download programs I have are utorrent which I close after use and Orbit downloader which I never use and as far as im aware works only through the web browser.

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Is the high upstream and low downstream a cause or part of the problem and is there anything I can do to change them?

moaningmags
31-07-2010, 23:42
Get a tech out to fix them as they can give slow speeds. Which modem do you have and do you know if you're ex-Telewest or ex-NTL?

Fufanu
01-08-2010, 00:03
I'll give them a ring tomorrow and hopefully it wont be to long before one can come out. Im ex NTL not sure what modem ive got but the model number is EO8C007, its also got NTL:250 writtend uder the model number if that helps.