PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Latency! (PS3)

Cheeky_Ash
31-07-2010, 16:40
Guys,

Latency is killing me.

Since about January I've had terrible lag problems with PS3 gaming and with one game in particular (PS3 PES 2010) although with other games but not as noticeible, yet when I ping test or Tracert etc - there seems no problem. Also seems that I get good results on speedtest upload and download bandwidth usually around 18Mbit/s down and 0.72Mbit/s Up..
My setup

PS3
HDMI Panasonic Viera TV (set in Game mode) or LCD Computer Monitor.
Cabled either via router (in DMZ, ports forwarded, disabled firewall) or currently directly cabled from PS3 to VM modem via brand new CAT5E shielded cable (NAT 1).
Virgin Media 20M Broadband.

Things I've tried (Don't laugh)

Swapped the PS3 (I thought there maybe a problem with access time reading the disc) - No difference.
Optimising TCP/IP with TCP/IP optimizer - A small difference
Swapped the game for a new one! - No difference
Switched off all other wireless devices (to minimise interference) - No difference.
Phoned VM several times (they have checked my modem and said its fine and I got someone to look at my UBR (apparently it's very under utilised) - no difference. I asked for them to change the I/C and O/G channels of the modem but they said it wasnt possible!
Swapped router from Belkin Pre-N to DD-WRT - No difference
Tried QOS settings on Router - no difference
Tried buying a network optimiser (Linksys OGV200 I think) - No difference

I only connect my PS3 to the VM broadband and do not share with anyone else (no filesharing etc)

So what the hell is going on, it's even got worst recently - I live in chiswick so maybe something local is going on, or will it be contention somewhere else in the network or maybe another ISP where the traffic transverses?

what I do know is that there apparantly is a trial for DPI in acton (nearby as well as about 6 sites in the UK) I believe...so is this affecting my gaming traffic....is the traffic being treated like p2p (no QoS setup) or are certain ports being blocked?

It's very frustrating - so any ideas, can you suggest anything else I may have missed or approach?

Many Thanks,
Ashley.

pabscars
02-08-2010, 10:58
Is there any chance you can post your modem stats,e.g. downstream and upstream power levels plus SNR possibly including the event log might be a good place to start.

Cheeky_Ash
02-08-2010, 15:52
Here you go!

Name
WebSTAR EPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number
XXXXXXXXXX
Cable Modem MAC Address
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-070601
Receive Power Level
4.4 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
47.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
4.5 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
42.5 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
29200000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Symbol Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
47.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
Operational
IP Address
XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Current Time
Mon Aug 02 14:50:54 2010
Time Since Last Reset
0 days 00h:10m:06s
Configuration File
9834ncxv9873254k;fg8
Cable Modem Certificate
Installed

Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Time Not Established Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Sat Jul 10 10:32:10 2010 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Wed Jun 30 13:38:52 2010 Critical (3) Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow
Sat Jul 10 10:32:08 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...