PDA

View Full Version : How deep should the cable be burried underground?

sniper007
27-07-2010, 19:08
I just had a "re pull" which involved Virgin digging up the garden and making a bot of a mess. I can forgive them for the poor turf partly, but the cable is literally only an inch under all the way down the garden. (I checked at different points). It's just under the top soil inside a green conduit. Behind the shed where it comes into the garden it's actually partly exposed.

Should I complain? Should it be a foot or so under? I want to complain as I'm worried it will get damaged easily in the future, but then will they come round and REALLY dig the garden up to properly lay it making the lawn awful? Maybe this is why I had probs before if it was laid near to the surface and it got damaged I don't know.

Peter_
27-07-2010, 19:10
It should be at least spade depth to try and prevent it being chopped by said spade, been there got the repull.:erm::D

sniper007
27-07-2010, 19:16
Getting sick of this service. Been having issues for months with speeds, then get put on a new package and it all breaks. Then wait 3 weeks with no internet for this repull which they also manage to cowboy up with shoddy laying. No doubt this will mean another amount of weeks before they can lay it properly.

Peter_
27-07-2010, 19:18
Getting sick of this service. Been having issues for months with speeds, then get put on a new package and it all breaks. Then wait 3 weeks with no internet for this repull which they also manage to cowboy up with shoddy laying. No doubt this will mean another amount of weeks before they can lay it properly.
If the is enough leeway you could bury it yourself otherwise call Customer Relations ( choose the thinking of leaving us option ) to complain about it because if you call faults they will book an engineer to assess the problem for a repull.

JPoll
27-07-2010, 19:28
We got a cable in today and I'm not really impressed... it's tacked on to a fence I share with my not very friendly neighbours and doesn't look like it's in any form of conduit it just goes straight into the garden. I mentioned it in my own thread. Kinda worried about a. safety and b. longevity as I really couldn't cope if my services went down.

sniper007
27-07-2010, 19:51
Well, I think I'm going to complain but not worry too much as atleast I have service at the moment. My lady tells me they were in and out within 20 minutes. Sounds about right judging by the job. I would have expected it to take hours if done properly. I could burry myself but that's not the point is it.

Peter_
27-07-2010, 20:33
We got a cable in today and I'm not really impressed... it's tacked on to a fence I share with my not very friendly neighbours and doesn't look like it's in any form of conduit it just goes straight into the garden. I mentioned it in my own thread. Kinda worried about a. safety and b. longevity as I really couldn't cope if my services went down.
Well, I think I'm going to complain but not worry too much as atleast I have service at the moment. My lady tells me they were in and out within 20 minutes. Sounds about right judging by the job. I would have expected it to take hours if done properly. I could burry myself but that's not the point is it.
As I said above call Customer Relations on 150 and choose the option "Thinking of leaving us" and tell them what a bad job has been done.

sniper007
28-07-2010, 12:05
I've been told by Virgin:

Our standard depth for our cables is between 1 - 6 inches underneath the soil. Unfortunately we don't bury the cables any further in case we hit any utilities. This does mean that our cables are vulnerable to garden work damage however we try to advise our customers of this and for them to be mindful when performing garden work so that our cables are not damaged.

Pierre
28-07-2010, 13:54

Post's like this always make me laugh.

The installers aren't psychic, did you at any point advise them that you didn't want it on the fence?

If I was being installed I would walk through the installation with the guys and advise them of exactly where, within reason, I wanted the cable routing.

sniper007
28-07-2010, 18:11
er wrong thread much? ^ lol

AndyCambs
28-07-2010, 22:31

The installers aren't psychic, did you at any point advise them that you didn't want it on the fence?

If I was being installed I would walk through the installation with the guys and advise them of exactly where, within reason, I wanted the cable routing.

This is precisely what happened when I had C&W installed all those years ago. The engineers asked me where I wanted the cable to go, and even avoided specific plants. They even took the path up where there was already a crack and re-cemented it.

Tazz
28-07-2010, 23:51
When I had my cable laid 4 years ago (ntl days) I dug the front garden myself as I had seen how they did my neighbours and put spade in and pushed green conduit in about 1 inch lol.

I dug mine down a good 6-8 inches "ready" for when they got here (because I am nice like that :) ) Mind you they were so happy they did not have to dig and did help me recover with the earth and lay slabs back down so can’t complain. Heh I even found my BT line at 1 point that is only a couple of inches under.

JPoll
28-07-2010, 23:57

Neither am I psychic... if they tell me they'll turn up between 1pm and 6pm, I get home for before 1pm and they'd already been and gone.

jb66
29-07-2010, 08:45
Neither am I psychic... if they tell me they'll turn up between 1pm and 6pm, I get home for before 1pm and they'd already been and gone.

And we are not psychic, tell the whole story

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

It should be at least spade depth to try and prevent it being chopped by said spade, been there got the repull.:erm::D

Try that yourself in the winter under the snow lol!

From experience most are half a spade depth except under hedges or next to slabing or trees where it is 1 inch or ontop of the ground

adzii_nufc
29-07-2010, 19:09
It can also depend on where you live some guys including myself have cables that dont even go under anything, just around objects then up the wall and into the house.

Peter_
29-07-2010, 19:13
Try that yourself in the winter under the snow lol!

From experience most are half a spade depth except under hedges or next to slabing or trees where it is 1 inch or ontop of the ground
My cable runs along the party garden wall as I have had mine repulled twice due to the installer on both occasions, once to shallow and it got spaded plus it was not in a green tube, second time we removed the front wall to find rather than going under it they had drilled at an angle downwards through the brick to the tee., so removing wall cut the cable.:D

Tazz
29-07-2010, 19:36
My cable runs along the party garden wall as I have had mine repulled twice due to the installer on both occasions, once to shallow and it got spaded plus it was not in a green tube, second time we removed the front wall to find rather than going under it they had drilled at an angle downwards through the brick to the tee., so removing wall cut the cable.:D

There was me thinking VM staff would have got better treatment from Virgin ;)

How wrong I was ;)

Peter_
29-07-2010, 21:15
There was me thinking VM staff would have got better treatment from Virgin ;)

How wrong I was ;)
That was well before I got a job with Virginmedia as I have been a customer around 15/16 years.;)