PDA

View Full Version : Confused on the Traffic Management thingy :(

TikkiRo
27-07-2010, 00:25
I've read all the blurb about TM and how VM say it will be managed, but I'm trying to ascertain is this mandatory for every user or just in certain areas, or random or what? I'm on the 10 Mb package and (to my shame :o: ) have managed to download a whopping 80 Gb Yep - Gb! this month so far (blame Australian Masterchef!!) but haven't had any reduction in my speed to any great degree at any time. I do all the downloading overnight, so hopefully not causing too many issues in that respect, but certainly never deliberately intended to go so far over any possible sensible limit VM may have in mind.

So what is their likely attitude about this type of problem - are they perhaps going to overlook it if I behave next month (unlikely although I'm not going to be quite so silly), or write to me or charge me??? Anyone else in a similar position or indeed perhaps worse (please do tell me, as I'd like some encouragement that I'm truly not the worst offender) and what are your views on this type of situation?

pip08456
27-07-2010, 01:26
Traffic management policy is quite simple. If you are doing it overnight you will never be effected by it.

If you download when most people want to use their BB (eg afternoons/evenings) then you may hit the limiter depending on how fast you are downloading.

Carry on overnight and you will be OK

TikkiRo
27-07-2010, 12:15
So there's no actual limit to the amount you can download per month as such, so long as you're doing it off peak?

joglynne
27-07-2010, 12:37
So there's no actual limit to the amount you can download per month as such, so long as you're doing it off peak?

Correct.

TikkiRo
27-07-2010, 12:55
Oh hey - now I'm a happy bunny :)) I was so worried about getting a letter from them or otherwise being penalised for bandwidth abuse, so now I can relax and enjoy my shows all the more. I'm disabled and semi-housebound, so having the facility to watch these is great and I love VM for the fact that I can download so much more than any other ISP (I think).
Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

rainer
27-07-2010, 13:05
I download on average 20 to 30GB a day, currently on 20MB broadband so i wait till 9pm and download then, getting capped is a pain in the arse.

Peter_
27-07-2010, 14:05
I would also check this thread out, as this also applies to all tiers on the network and if you do download to excess then you could receive a letter as well.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33667029-50mb-user-claims-fup-invoked.html