PDA

View Full Version : Upstream gets to 61dBmV

Wipster
26-07-2010, 14:27
Hi all,

Recently I have been having troubles with my service, I had a look at the modem stats and it seems the upstream doesn't lock when I am having troubles.
Clicking refresh on the upstream stats seems to show the power fluctuating wildly and it changing modulation but it still unable to obtain a lock. The power seems to max out at 61dBmV which I hear is way to high but generally bounced around the high 40's-50's.

I had an engineer come out and he fitted a 6dB forward path attenuator on the line, but I was thinking to myself hang on thats going to be reducing my incoming signal isn't it? Its the transmit I'm having troubles with... but after a few beers and being unsure in this subject I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Now being an electronic engineer but with no experience in cable can someone correct me if my thinking is wrong.
Downstream signal is sent from the cabinet and adjusted there to be within spec when it gets to the building, some tweaks may be necessary hence attenuators.
Upstream signal is sent from my modem and is the power that is needed for it to lock, a high value means it needed allot of juice so there is possibly a cable fault or modem dying or something. Attaching an attenuator for an upstream fault is pointless as it would mean the modem has to send even more to lock.

Wipster
26-07-2010, 17:12
Little update, At the mo I am locked on with a signal level of 61dBmV so I got some screenshots with and without attenuator comfirming my thoughts, I hit refresh and these values were representative of the average.
With the 6dB attenuator
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4693/withatten.png

And without
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1502/withoutatten.png

So got back on to Virgin and I have a 'Manager level Engineer' coming out, we shall see. After a power cycle and reset of the modem I also observed the upstream increase in power in a nonlocked state untill it locked at 61.

Edit;- Linking to images, too large for forum soz.