PDA

View Full Version : Setup advice

gbr1
25-07-2010, 15:39
All, hopefully somebdy is able to assist, unfortunately my pc knowledge is average at very best.

I have been trying to get my father in law set up with wireless. He is on Virgin and currently has a cable modem. The wireless mdem they have now supplied him with does not have a cable connection. I orginally thought that I could seek out a cable to ethernet adaptor, the next step would be to seek a new cable router (if they exist). reading through forums, they suggest that rather than doing away with the existing modem, it has to remain effectively meaning we would have the orignal modem with the new wireless router - is this correct? If so, how should they be connected to each other. I did try this and connected the LAN1 prt to the internet input on the router, using the set up disk, the router was programmed ok but when trying to get the internet established it couldnt find a connection.

All tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GBR1

Peter_
25-07-2010, 15:55
Do you have a separate modem and router, if so the modem must be connected to the Internet port on the router in order to get the the internet and you will need to reboot the modem in order for it to see the router, all you do for a reboot is turn the power of from the modem.

If that does not work post the make and model of the roter and the modem.

RobboEdin
25-07-2010, 15:56
What he will have been supplied with is a router.

The modem still connects to the cable and then the router connects to the modem (via the WAN port).

You can then either plug your PC directly into one of the LAN ports or connect wirelessly.

Kymmy
25-07-2010, 16:17
As stated the cable modem can either be plugged directly into a single PC or be plugged into an ethernet (wifi) router if you have more than one PC. You can not replace the modem as it's matched to the account and terms and conditions forbid any device not supplied by VM being plugged directly onto the cable

PS..welcome to the forum

LondonRoad
25-07-2010, 16:31
I've always found the set up CDs crap. Connect direct to router with the PC and open up your browser. Enter http://192.168.2.1 and you should be able to set up from there.

At least I think that's the default address for VM routers, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also not sure of the default password but it should be in the documentation that you were sent.... probably quicker to wait for one of the helpful CFers to post it.

You'll have to change your IP address to something in the same range 192.168.2.X

Peter_
25-07-2010, 16:38
I've always found the set up CDs crap. Connect direct to router with the PC and open up your browser. Enter http://192.168.2.1 and you should be able to set up from there.

At least I think that's the default address for VM routers, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also not sure of the default password but it should be in the documentation that you were sent.... probably quicker to wait for one of the helpful CFers to post it.

You'll have to change your IP address to something in the same range 192.168.2.X
No that is not the IP of any of our routers plus you need to know the username and password to access the configuration pages and actually know what you are doing.;)