PDA

View Full Version : No Broadband Connection, 50 Meg, Wigan WN4 Area

scunni
22-07-2010, 20:34
Anyone else suffering on 50 Meg in the WN4 area?

No connection at all, all web pages timing out. It was off this morning when I went out, and having returned home I find it is still off.

Apparently my neighbour suffered very similar issue at the back end of last week, although he's not on 50 meg.

pip08456
23-07-2010, 00:22
Have you had a look here?

https://my.virginmedia.com/service-status/details

A check of your modem stat pages should provided clues as well.

scunni
23-07-2010, 14:39
After suffering these connectivity issues (i.e. no connection) since late Wednesday evening, I finally phoned Virgin this morning (was out all day yesterday so didn't have chance).

Before phoning, I ensure I have a single PC connected direct to the cable modem, thus removing all other possible sources of error. After a 15 min conversation, resetting of cable modem etc etc I finally end up with a fully working and full speed connection again. Yippee, I think .... but it is short-lived. Connection to the cable modem is fine, I can happily get to the cable modem status pages and can happily surf the net etc.

However, once I connect up my router and the rest of the network again, the whole thing falls over and just has no internet connectivity, either wired or wireless. Nor can I access the cable modem any longer.

I have tried 2 different (previously working) routers and both fail in the same manner. I have disconnected all other network devices and just ran what was, when directly connected, the working PC but it's just dead. Looking at the status pages within the router, I can see that no WAN ip address is being shown.

I have tried several different (known working) cables between all devices to no avail and am now reaching wits end trying to figure out what could possibly be going on.

I should say that nothing has changed on my network prior to loss of service on Wednesday.

Anybody with any ideas to help me out of a hole would be appreciated.

pip08456
23-07-2010, 15:13
Sounds like the router has gone toes up, or not configured right. Perhaps you might be better off in the networking forum as the issue clearly isn't your internet connection.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

Peter_
23-07-2010, 16:16
Have you actually tried calling the 50Mb Support line on 0800 052 0431.

pip08456
23-07-2010, 16:34
After a 15 min conversation, resetting of cable modem etc etc I finally end up with a fully working and full speed connection again. Yippee, I think .... but it is short-lived. Connection to the cable modem is fine, I can happily get to the cable modem status pages and can happily surf the net etc.

By short-lived do you mean when you connect the router again or before you do so?