PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Gaming Latency - Had Enough!

Cheeky_Ash
14-07-2010, 23:28
Guys,

I've posted before regarding this issue, but here's my latest on this topic!

My setup

PS3
HDMI Panasonic Viera TV or LCD Computer Monitor.
Cabled either via router (in DMZ, ports forwarded, disabled firewall). Sometimes I directly cable PS3 to VM modem.
Virgin Media 20M Broadband.

Since about January I've had terrible lag problems with one game in particular (PES 2010) although a little with other games but not as noticeible, yet when I ping test or Tracert etc - there seems no problem. Also seems that I get good results on speedtest upload and download bandwidth usually around 18Mbit/s down and 0.72Mbit/s Up.

Things I've tried (Don't laugh)

Swapped the PS3 (I thought there maybe a problem with access time reading the disc) - No difference.
Optimising TCP/IP with TCP/IP optimizer - A small difference
Swapped the game for a new one! - No difference
Switched off all other wireless devices (to manimise interference) - No difference.
Phoned VM several times (they have checked my modem and I got someone to look at my UBR (apparently it's very under utilised) - no difference.
Swapped router - No difference
Tried QOS settings on Router - no difference
Tried buying a network optimiser (Linksys OGV200 I think) - No difference

I only connect my PS3 to the VM broadband and do not share with anyone else (no filesharing etc)

So what the hell is going on, it's even got worst recently - I live in chiswick so maybe something local is going on., or will it be contention somewhere else in the network or maybe another ISP where the traffic transverses?

what I do know is that there apparantly is a trial for DPI in acton (nearby as well as about 6 sites in the UK) I beleive...so is this affecting my gaming traffic....is the traffic being treated like p2p (no QoS setup) or are ports being blocked?

It's very frustrating - so any ideas here, can you suggest anything else I may have missed?

Many THanks chaps,
Ashley

badhairday
14-07-2010, 23:35
I used to get terrible lag on my ps3 until VM changed my modem and attached a attenuator or something like that to it.

deathtrap3000
14-07-2010, 23:35
Ever thought it could be the psn or the other players fault instead of your own??

broadbandking
15-07-2010, 15:29
PES online mode has always been shockingly bad even on the Xbox, do you lag with any other games?

Fitze73
17-07-2010, 21:12
agreed pes is awful i have the same problem .... but with other games including mw2 it's fine if anyone fancies a game my psn is jethrotull1973

Risco
18-07-2010, 13:41
What is your router make? I had an issue with slow speeds on my PS3, turned out that my wireless key was too complicated and slowing it down. Before I changed it I was getting 1 megabit downloads, now I get 14 megabit!

Try it out!